X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade in the SP for the DA?

Anyone here riding a DA now after owning an SP? I am seriously considering moving into the DA and am curious what feedback guys who have ridden both have. My first FW was an SP and it was a game changer for me. I have since picked up a Nano and find myself riding it even in the top end of the SP range, so when I actually do take out the SP I'm just not having as much fun on it. Especially when the waves go from fat to steep as the SP struggles in anything over waist high or steep on the drops. With summer around the corner, I don't want to have regrets dumping the SP as we get very weak, mush summer waves in So Cal but I'm hoping the DA will be a higher performance version of a groveler while also handling slightly bigger waves. Then again, maybe I'm just forever tainted now that I've ridden a Tomo. Any thoughts, comments or feedback? DA, Potatonator, keep the SP?

I think the DA/Nano would be a great quiv. I traded an SP for a BP and love it but am hankering for a new toy. Many get new iPhones, shoes, cloths, etc.. Me, well I get new boards :)

Sell the SP if its simply gathering dust and get the DA. I've been selling my FWs in great shape for near purchase price. They just seem to keep much of there value, what a great brand.

Comment

They really do, its because they look and feel great years down the line! Im still keen to get a TT BP as my uber grovel board... been loving my chubby chedda in smaller and smaller stuff as my surfing progresses tho! hoping to get a BP, vader (when it finally drops)and some kind of semi step up eventually...

Comment

My take would be, quality, well formed little waves, DA. Junky little waves, SP.

Comment

I'm late to the party but it depends on your paddling skills and how willing you are to push for that wave. I personally don't like the DA. I would tell you to keep the SP for super lazy days.

Comment

For sub waist high days I reckon the SP is hard to beat. The PN doesn't have the bottom end of the SP unless its sucky. No experience with the DA sorry.
            Riding the nano does make you want to just ride the nano all the time though.
            Luckily today there were some good beachbreaks and the nano was absolutely flying.

Comment

The DA compared to the BP and SP is a little more like a conventional board. The one thing to keep in mind is they all died flat and wide, this means its takes a little extra focus in a steep pocket and when taken vertical. That said, the bottom contours of the double agent coupled with the thinned and smoothly rounded tail offer the opportunity for a little more control at higher speeds so you can get a lithe more of a traditional shortboard line to your maneuvers.

cheers

Comment

Yesterday was a perfect example of my own desire to just ride the Nano. It was 1-3 and I pulled out the SP, caught a couple waves. When the 3 footers rolled in, a little walled the SP struggled to make the drop. As I went down the wave and tried to do a hard bottom turn I buried the top 1/3 of the rail, the SP bogged down and I ended up missing the next section. I paddled to shore, grabbed the Nano, tossed in some Blackstix (my go to small wave fin) and paddled out. Ended up having a blast on it, even in those conditions. I'm just so in love w/the Nano now that I'm afraid anything else won't live up to the experience.

Comment

• Peterleo
                  Peterleo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  i have a nano that i just cannot ride, every other firewire i can, dont know what im doing wrong. i absolutely love the DA . ripped and tore and carved up every wave , yeeeeeeha. when my arms got tired i went back out on the SP. i have a set of DVS quad fins from shapers in full glass. i was getting huge waves in fast sloppy conditions and having as ball. these fins influence the wave , these r like the mafia of fins. they do not get affected by chop or slop. I found the SP drops to the bottom of the wave and takes off and the DA cuts across the wave face. had a ballll on both boards.

I haven't ridden the SP or BP and used a couple of PN's for my bottom end. Don't surf anything less than thigh or anything not offshorish, have other things to do. After surfing the Tommos, was finding the PN a little less exciting so ventured into the DA. Now selling both PN's and finding it difficult to choose between the VG and DA on the small end of things. DA is a magic board.

Comment

Wow, some great feed back. Not to dilute the thread but the BP is a hi po version of the SP and should be in the perf hybrid section in my opinion. At any rate, I am planing to demo a Nano and see how it compares to the BP in smaller waves. To me, the BP is superlative in most respects.

Comment

I grabbed the SP this weekend and headed out for a 2-3 ft session that actually ended up being 3-4 ft but a little crumbly but more walled. My first wave I tookoff, hit the bottom turn and buried the top 1/3 of the rail, bogged down and missed the section. The same thing happened last time I took it out, but I only brought the SP to the beach this time so I shook it off and paddled back out. On the second wave, I really focused on maximizing the ride length instead of doing any maneuvers. I scored a nice right, made the drop, got over to the section and did a real lazy bottom turn into a slow arcing top turn, made the next section and the wave re-formed allowing me to get another 2-3 secs on the inside wave. I ended up having a blast on the SP and have come to realize this thing is just not the Nano and you really have to take a sec, reset your expectations/surfing style to surf the SP. I think this is why some ppl mention a love/hate relationship with the SP. You cannot surf it like your normal shorty. I find the more I ride it on the mini-simmons/funboard style of the spectrum (as opposed to HPSB) the more fun I have. The question now is, will the DA allow me to still grovel but surf more "traditional" or should I shoot for something more top end like a V4,VG or Uni and just leave the SP for grovel days.

Comment

I have been surfing a SP for several years. A couple of months ago I bought a DA and agree with Denchy; it is a magic board. In spite of having some common DNA I find the SP and DA surf very differently. The DA is dramatically more responsive, allows you to surf off the front or back foot and just gets better when you really bury the rail. The DA feels a lot more like a normal short board(if such a thing exists anymore) and I think it has a larger range than it's given credit for. The SP will still be faster when it's really small and junky, but it's going to exhibit a lot more latency in the turns. If you want something more spontaneous and don't mind the overlap with your Nano, get the DA. If you want the greatest range, stick with the SP.

Comment

good stuff!! i will say i find the double agent to have a much better low end than the Nano without a ton of overlap. Funny i ride both at 506....

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                          good stuff!! i will say i find the double agent to have a much better low end than the Nano without a ton of overlap. Funny i ride both at 506....
                          Chris, I think we must be twins. I think all our boards are the same - 5'9 Uni, 5'6 DA, and I've got a 5'6 Nano arriving any day now! Can't wait!

Comment

Hey Goodfish, I haven't seen any posts regarding your experience with the DA. How do you like it?

Comment

Working...
                            X