X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fins for DA

As the title suggests. What are people using? Especially those over 80kilos? Thanks

I have only ridden my DA once, go figure I bought a groveller and the waves get good. The day a rode the DA it was knee to thigh high. I rode it as a quad with the Kinetik Parko quads, the board was fast and loose with those fins and still drivey. I also tried it that same day as a tri with roberts futures but did not like that set up for the board. My next go out I think I will try the Roberts fronts with the QD 4.0 rears. I will report back on that set up.

I am 5'10" 185lb(84kilos)

Comment

yeah you'll get a lot of suggestions...

let people know whether you are after futures or FCS. I think for futures the JC1s and EAs are good thrusters, the Rustys offer a good quad and 5 fin option. For FCS i still always go back to the medium or 5 template, PC5s. In FCSII the Performers are my favorite but the newly released Firewire fin is great too...

Specialty fins that i like include the controllers as well.

Cheers and hope this helps a little

Comment

• Peterleo
        Peterleo commented
        Editing a comment
        Love the Rusty Blackstix in bigger surf but found Rastas signature quad set a real scream in smaller fuller waves. I'm 100 kilos . I found that bigger fins made me have to surf it more at the front of the board and smaller fins more at the back. Enjoyed surfing from the Blackfoot a lot more.

If you've ridden the EAs (which are awesome fins), then I agree with Chris that you should check out the Firewire fins too - they have a similar shape.

Comment

Hey,(somewhere there is a post with DA fins but anyway) I've always used mine as a quad: JJF fronts/ Strech backs, and like it a lot! Today I tried for the first time as a thruster on JJF set and loved it as well! It gave me more release... I think... Still got to give it another surf or two to really understand what's going on, but it felt good! 82Kg on a 5'8 and it's been my choice all the time from "no wave" to head high! Either way, tri or quad, this board is a blast! Yeeww! Over&Out

Comment

Hey Curawong or anyone else on DA... how does you'd DA compare in volume to your other boards - do you have a unibrow - I have 62 UB (35.8) as normal board - I have recently come down in volume a bit, I have a dom and SP both around 38 which I'm sort of phasing out and looking to replace with a DA I'm wondering about 5'10 or 6ft - Im 87k - I would have thought a touch more volume for smaller waves but don't see the point in having DA same length as my UB - what do you reckon? Thanks

Originally posted by Curawong View Post
          Hey,(somewhere there is a post with DA fins but anyway) I've always used mine as a quad: JJF fronts/ Strech backs, and like it a lot! Today I tried for the first time as a thruster on JJF set and loved it as well! It gave me more release... I think... Still got to give it another surf or two to really understand what's going on, but it felt good! 82Kg on a 5'8 and it's been my choice all the time from "no wave" to head high! Either way, tri or quad, this board is a blast! Yeeww! Over&Out

Comment

Originally posted by jus View Post
            Hey Curawong or anyone else on DA... how does you'd DA compare in volume to your other boards - do you have a unibrow - I have 62 UB (35.8) as normal board - I have recently come down in volume a bit, I have a dom and SP both around 38 which I'm sort of phasing out and looking to replace with a DA I'm wondering about 5'10 or 6ft - Im 87k - I would have thought a touch more volume for smaller waves but don't see the point in having DA same length as my UB - what do you reckon? Thanks
            I used to ride a 30,5l(similar shape to de MD) board for everyday use and good days, so as you can tell my DA 31,3l isn't that much of a diference but I can tell you it catches waves way better. Imo I wouldn't oversize it too much because you will lose the performance aspect of the board, for sure it will paddle and go like a ship but it will be harder to "make it move around". It all depends on your hability and needs, for me I find this board real fun a litre or two over my usual volume and small in size, so I can perform ( or try to) on the smaller days.

Comment

My DA is at the bottom end of my preferred range and agree with Currawong it's easy to get onto waves with it. Go with your preferred volume and disregard the length comparison with unibrow. The shape will take care of the rest.

Comment

And yeah, back to the thread, l put sa25 large quads in on day 1. There they will stay, perfect package.

Comment

been half in love wit this board for a while, felt a little tracky when waves have some grunt and squirelly when they don't. swapped from stretch quads to the rusty futures honey combs ( 5fin set quad option) and its a different board, riding stormy waves to head high happily and way more pivot on the small stuff well worth the conversion.
                  DA 5'6 - me 70 kg also ride a VG 5'4 and HF 5'10

Comment

for what its worth, here's what I've tried, in Futures. 6'0 DA, I'm 6'5 185. Probably should have gone for a 5'10, but figured there was a minimal volume difference and this board is my most grovelly one, so might as well maximize surface area. The 5'8 is the very bottom of my volume range, plus I don't like boards that short with my gangly legs.
                    I guess I' not a quad guy, I didn't like this board that much in quad. None of the quad set ups seemed faster than the thrusters i tried, which I think is the main reason for quads in the first place. seemed too tracky with stretch rears and vector 3/2 front, and not enough drive with smaller rears (similar size the TTF1 trailer). also tried solus front and stretch rears, that just didn't seem to work at all, fins felt like they were fighting each other. Tried TTF1 fronts and TTF1 trailer, didn't seem as drivey as it should. Favorite so far is Solus thruster set up, although I wish it was a little looser off the tail. It has a bit of a pin tail, and its quite thinned out, so the tail sort of acts like a center fin anyway. I'm going to try it next as a straight twin, hoping to keep the drive and not be too loose...although that might be fun on the waist high and below days
                    Last edited by bageldog; 06-30-2014, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Killer input folks!

Comment

I just got my DA and wouldn't you know, it's back to flat! I did go out with my wife this morning for some very weak thigh to occasionally waist high waves on my SP. I had lost one of my main controller fins and had tried the Sea Shephard twin fin sets in them with future F4 trailers. This set up sucks, it's actually quite crazy how crappy it makes the board ride, so I changed out to all F4s and was amazed at how well they worked. The reason I am posting here is because I think that these fins might be good in the DA as well. BTW has anyone tried the Solus with a Firewire Deviant Fin in a DA? How about you Bageldog? I have tried this set up in other boards because I didn't like the unpredictable release of the hatchet trailer. For those that have not tried a Deviant trailer please do, they are not a gimmick. Once you get used to how different it makes your turns you may never go back to a traditional thruster trailer. All of the things they say about it I have found to be true. My two cents anyway Thanks!

Comment

I only have a deviant fin in FCS, so haven't been able to try it. But I agree, its a good fin for wide tailed boards. Not as drivey as full solus set up in my opinion. going to try the Vector TTF1 sides with TMF-2 (the tiny nubster for futures) next, then the solus with that nubster if its too tracky. I have also been thinking about trying the elevon fronts with a small rear fin. waves have been too small to even paddle out

Comment

That's cool Bageldog, let us know how that set up goes. One of the coolest things about the these boards with five fin configs is that it truly opens up a whole new dimension all within the same board! What kind of surf and what board have you enjoyed the most with Elevons? I have tried them in a variety of waves in a variety of conditions except really punchy surf or waves that barrel. Have I been wrong?? I bought the damn things thinking that for that much money it would turn average to lack luster waves into a killer session. I was looking for more speed but they do not seem to be any faster and they are hard to push around. Love to hear your opinion.

Comment

Working...
                            X