Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

k24 sometimes going smaller and more upright gives you a new free feeling. on the DA i love a fin without too much sweep, keeps the board flying freely feeling fast.

Comment

Hey Chris, curious about something. Usually you provide stickers on a any new FW advising which fins work best. On the DA, is there such a thing and if so, whats it say?

Comment

So I bit the bullet and ordered a tri/quad set of the FW FCS2 to match up with my up coming DA and hopefully other future FW purchases. Nev designed the fins so I'm sure they'll be stellar as both he a Dan Mann are the foundation of FW in my opinion. I mean what a dynamic duo if shaping.

Comment

Good call!

Comment

had a chance to try the VFT1 (basically the vector foil on the FT1 twin fin) and Solus fronts with TMF2 (the tiny nubster trailer) in high tide, doubleup windswell. Favorite setup so far is the VFT1 with that nubster fin. Held in nice on the double up drops, good drive, still loose. The solus fronts and that tiny back fin were just too lacking in drive. Want to try the AMT fins, guy that sold me the board said it was his favorite set up, those are more upright than the VFT1/ FT1 fins but similar area. I think a bit larger back fin than the nubster would probably be ideal, need to experiment a little more. The whole Solus thruster set up was pretty good too. This board really takes steep drops well, where a board like the sweet potato, and even dominator, in similar volume the tail sort of gets thrown over with the lip and I would pearl more often

Comment

regarding the elevons, I haven't used them much, I agree they're hard to throw around. they pick a very high line on the wave. then go like a freight train. they seriously ride so high on the wave it feels weird

Comment

• Peterleo
                Peterleo commented
                Editing a comment
                Try a set of Dave Rastovich quads . Sorted.

K24 yeah truthfully the Elevons work best in decent conditions because they are designed to give your tail lift. I haven't done a lot of experimentation with them, but I know a lot of the guys in the office who have ridden them agree that they tend to make a larger-tail board have a little bit of lift when moving quicker. Fast, free and down the line.

Comment

• Peterleo
                Peterleo commented
                Editing a comment
                Use them on my longboards the elevons. Smoking hot fast yew

So got the DA and the FW tri-quad set in hand. Man, the fins fit very very snug. A bit hard to get in and out but should change after a few change ups. Boy that DA sure is a pretty board, I really like the out line. Uber stoked I bought it. No waves to really try her on but be patient Grass Hoppa!!!

Comment

Tried riding the board as a thruster with Futures WCT fins and it seemed to track really bad. Didn't like the feel of it. Bought the Rusty 5 fin set and tried riding as a quad to loosen it up and the rear end slides like crazy. Can hardly make any decent sized drops and even slides when trying to build speed down the line. Overall the board feels better as a quad but the Rustys feel way too small. These would be the normal size quads I would ride on any other board. Is anybody having a similar experience with the rear end sliding really bad and having to use larger fins than they normally would use? I am thinking about getting the Futures Firewire 5 fin set, since they seem to be a larger quad. Any suggestions?

I am 170 lbs and the board is at my max volume range at 5'10".

Comment

Use bigger front fins and smaller rear. Right now I'm using AMT robber fronts, and the little white futures nubster fin. The tail does slide a bit, but its a controlled sort of slide, like on on a snowboard. I really like it, I'm surprised how well it takes a drop given I' riding a 6'0 and only 185 pounds. I haven't had one wave wheere I got thrown off because of it. Dropping in feels like when you drop into a steep run on a snowboard and you wash your back foot out behind you until you lock in the line you want. With the dominator, I would get the bad type of tail slide where its like a a bar of soap slips out from under you. I also used the standard small trailer that came with the AMT, but I liked the looser tail feeling using the TMF-2.

Comment

• Peterleo
                    Peterleo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I tried this setup as well. Goes great. Tried the dave Rastovich quads . Amazing. On bigger waves I just put bigger front fins in. A great set in huge powerful waves are the Shapers power quads. In Fcs and futures boxes. Love the rusty blackstix for a trifin set in sucky barrelly waves.

• Peterleo
                    Peterleo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I had the Amt s and the shapers Darc drives as a quad set and was hanging five on it. Love the hold release drive and it just does what I ask. I love using the Elevon fins when I need to beat the crowd to a wave . Though sometimes it bogs down on takeoff on very steep waves.

i like it bageldog!

Comment

Love the front foot steering and speed thru unmask able sections on other boards and almost no sinking of the nose. Was actually hanging five on it yesterday.

Comment

Has anybody tried Controller fins on this board?

Comment

Family matters have kept me from the ocean for what seems like years. However I have in hand the Shapers Fins DVS Quad Keel as well as the FireWire Tri/Quad set. I will try both and report back... someday... most likely next month or so.

Comment

hal5768 yeah some of the guys around the office who like the keel/retro style fin on their small wave crafts have really enjoyed the controllers. Think longer lines, but effortless glide and classic lines!

Comment

Working...
                          X