Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DA versus Dominator for thigh to shoulder high waves?

Trying to decide if I should get another dominator or get a Double Agent for thigh to shoulder high waves - let me know your thoughts especially if you are an older and heavier surfer.

The DA is more of a groveller for the small stuff, whereas the Dominator will work better for you in the upper end of that range you're talking about. The Dom is very forgiving and one of the most popular boards in the FW lineup, so you can't go wrong with that choice. The DA would satisfy the waist and below wave range, and the Dom would satisfy the waist to shoulder/ head high range.

Comment

I sort of disagree on this one. at least if you have similar volumed dominators and DA's. I've had both (6'0 and 6'2 dominator), currently have a 6'0 DA (me 6'5 185). I found the dominator tail didn't hold in that well on bottom turns, while the DA tail, essentially a wide pin tail that is razor thin, sticks in quite well. Granted, i'm riding them a little over volumed for me compared to a lot of people on this forum, but I am much more comfortable on the DA when the surf is bigger than I expected it to be. Sadly, I don't think the DA grovels nearly as well as one would think given the width. but I've had a sweet potato and a few dominators, the DA is the one I'm keeping.

Comment

• ONeal
        ONeal commented
        Editing a comment
        Year I agree with this Iv e had a real blast in shoulder high fast little shooters on my DA but still need a ubber grovler

• Peterleo
        Peterleo commented
        Editing a comment
        I totally agree.

Thanks for the feedback - I ride most of my firewires overvolumed due to age and extremely weak, small surf - had a 6'10" dominator and loved it. My wife said I have not gotten that vertical in years - do not know why I sold it - thinking about going 6'8" this time around - but now thinking a 6'6" DA for thigh to shoulder weak surf and maybe a dominator down the line - so Bageldog you feel that the DA will work pretty well - the waves are almost never overhead unless we get a hurricane - I am two hours from hatteras - crown jewel of the east coast US and it can get good there for sure -

Comment

yeah DA will be fine for that. If surf is a little bigger than you expected, you'll be ok, whereas a board from potato family you would not. It goes well in small waves, but not as slippery fast as a potato family board, bc the tail is thinner and not so wide. Might be too low volume for you, but if you want a fast down the line board, I haven't found a better one than the firewire stealths. That board is insanely fast with minimal rider input. At one time I had a 6'2 dominator and 6'4 stealth (almost identical volumes) and couldn't find any area where the dominator was better. Stealth paddled as well, caught waves as well, was faster, turned better, took steeper drops better, duck dove better. I've tried dominators in a lot of sizes and always found them to not be as good as a similar Stealth. currently have a 6'2 stealth, which I actually rode at outerbanks when I was there on a kiting trip, and it was great for those waves (wasn't one of those hollow hurricane swells, was softer windswell). My current quiver after years of fine tuning, which covers EVERYTHING, is 6'0 DA, 6'2 stealth, and 6'6 thin bourez. the only thing I'd change is I'd get a custom bourez thinner to bring the volume down around to 33 or a 6'5 hellrazor, but I've been through a lot of craigslist firewires and those are my favorites. Have had or ridden dominators and spitfires in several sizes (5'8, 6'0, 6'2, 6'6), stealth in 6'0, 6'2 and 6'4, alternator in 6'4 thinner older dims (33.7 liters), 6'6 flexfire older thinner dims (32.8 liters), futura 6'4, sweet potato 5'8, hellrazor 6'7, quadraflex 6'6 older thinner dims.
        Last edited by bageldog; 07-02-2014, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Potatonator in the same volume as a dom will be shorter and go like a raped ape compared to a dominator in thigh high to head high.
          Haven't had the pleasure of riding a DA as yet.

Comment

Thanks again for the feedback - I think I will go the DA route although Cuttlefish has me thinking about the Potatonator. Last question what size for weak waves:
            45 Years old, 205 lbs, intermediate surfer, in consistently weaker waves - I surfed much lower volume boards in California than here in Virginia - waves make a huge difference in volume.

So 6'6" DA or 6'8"?

oh and Cuttlefish - would you go a 6'6" advance over a 6'8" Dom for my better wave board? I know from reading pasts posts you used to like the 6'6" advance -

Comment

• cuttlefish
              cuttlefish commented
              Editing a comment
              It comes down to the type of ride you like?
              The Addvance has a foot in the fish world whereas the dominator is the wide tailed shortboard.
              I've still amazed myself with how fast I could do a vertical snap on the 6'6" addvance when the wave was steep enough.
              Big guys can throw 56 litres around easily. People carry on like its a lot of foam. Nah...longboards have a lot of foam. Ok, they are in a short-ish package but not as short as sweet and baked potatoes when talking about concentrating foam. The rails on the addvance is great too, not too boxy and with the chine for release.
              I've ridden the 6'6" dominator in pitching semi-closeout beachbreaks and then swapped to my 6'6" addvance and preferred the addvances earlier entry and speed down the line...but that's just me. I reckon the addvance is more forgiving to ride as well.
              Want a fishier ride go addvance...want a shortboard ride go dominator.

Da or Potatonator? Daaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!

Comment

Baked potato! i rode my 501 today in thigh to head high (depending on sets/position etc) and it excelled everywhere

Comment

Yeah and the sweet potato is also killer. To me, the sweet and baked potatoes are in one category together, the Potatonator and the double agent kind of fall in a similar category with subtle differences in their rockers, bottom contours, and tail shapes. All winners in my book!

Comment

• Peterleo
                  Peterleo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They sure are

The sweet potato is amazing but the da is as well in a different way. Never missed any wave on the sweet potato though.. To me the DA is the better in hollower waves . Actually can anyone tell me a bad FireWire model. I have a ball on sweet potato , baked potato, sub moon, Vanguard, double agent , tj everyday mal, dominator, hellfire and fishtail. Never got a bum ride off any of them ever. Always a addictive smile ready for the next swell

Comment

Thanks a lot for the good words and support Peterleo!

Comment

I think the dom grovels well if you get it in the middle to upper end of your volume if you have a good stance. I see many people that don't generate as much speed as they should because their back leg is all wrong. So many have kind of a skate or athletic stance. The key is to kind of buckle or move your back knee towards your front leg. This is the key to generating speed and doing good carves. Look at the pros, they hold the back leg like that 98 percent of the time. If you don't do this and you start you will notice a big difference in the amount of speed you can generate on your boards making them able to perform well in the lower range of wave size and power.

Comment

Working...
                    X