X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slight Step up...DA or can I Nano

currently my go to stick has been the SP. i ride a 5' 4" which is about 35L if I am not mistaken. It has been good to me and summer has been relatively good here in the east. Absolutely love this board but lately i have been thinking of getting one that can be taken on slightly bigger days ( shoulder to head high...although that is relative...maybe 4-6 would be more accurate) which could still paddle well but would allow me to make more critical drops. I am 5' 5 155 lbs.

the DA seems to be a good choice but I'm also considering if I should get a Nano since people say it can be used by all levels of surfers...in the same way what size do you guys think I should get?

thanks guys :)

I'm thinking the exact thing you are. 35l is my 'sweet spot' for volume. I can't decide between the DA and the Nano. Looking forward to some responses.

Comment

• Peterleo
      Peterleo commented
      Editing a comment
      Go with Da those rails on the nano are way too thick. The Da is the board you just tear waves apart on. The nano is nothing like the vg or the da. I ride the da as a quad . It's great at top to bottom surfing all day. The vg is way better than the nano.. But I love the DA controlability. It's even better than my beloved hellfire somehow

I dont think its a matter of either or. A DA and a Nano is a two board quiver for up to a little over head the DA loves a hollow pitching wave up to shoulder high and will rip a fuller wave bigger than that its good in smaller surf although not as good as a SP in small full surf. The Nano likes a wave with a bit of push and comes into its own from waste high up to a bit over head although is best from shoulder high up and at that size it rips hollow surf and handles any drop you can paddle into, its fast, flowing and addictive, they both are really in their respective size wave and both have a loose easy glide feel about them just stick them where you wan tand go hard. So it,s a choice of what size wave your going to ride or do what I did and get both shit it's only money stopping you

Comment

Originally posted by ONeal View Post
      I dont think its a matter of either or. A DA and a Nano is a two board quiver for up to a little over head the DA loves a hollow pitching wave up to shoulder high and will rip a fuller wave bigger than that its good in smaller surf although not as good as a SP in small full surf. The Nano likes a wave with a bit of push and comes into its own from waste high up to a bit over head although is best from shoulder high up and at that size it rips hollow surf and handles any drop you can paddle into, its fast, flowing and addictive, they both are really in their respective size wave and both have a loose easy glide feel about them just stick them where you wan tand go hard. So it,s a choice of what size wave your going to ride or do what I did and get both shit it's only money stopping you

I love how you think...the lonbger i think about it, the more i am convinced that a quiver should not be limited to 2-3 boards hehehe. did you get the DA and Nano at a lower end of your volume range?

Comment

• ONeal
        ONeal commented
        Editing a comment
        The DA is the lowest volume board I own 2 litres below normal although the one I demoed was 7 Litres below my normal and still paddled and caught waves well my nano is smack on my preferred volume.

I'm thinking of pairing a 5'4" SP with my 5'7" Nano to cope with anything up to double overhead. I dont know about the DA. i would have thought it would be closer to the SP.

Comment

• Chuxter77
        Chuxter77 commented
        Editing a comment
        I use a 5' 4" sp dude. It's a super fun board...Not sure if you would like a BP though since it might give you smoother rail to rail transitions.

• nottyR6
        nottyR6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Had a 5'3" BP and sold it. I went through a phase where the BP was almost a 1 board quiver, I loved how it paddled in super early, it gave me confidence even in bigger waves. Then I got into Unibrows and Nano's and thought there is too much voerlap with the BP. The SP is a much better groveller IMO. Also I want to go 5'4" instead of 5'2" for that extra couple of litres for grovelling.

Took a punt at a cheap EPS 5'4" mini Simons over the weekend. What a boat, absolutely hate it, its heavy, get me back on FW asap.

Got it ONeal...ah hopefully I get to pick these boards up soon. Split about whether or not I should part with the SP.

Comment

• Peterleo
        Peterleo commented
        Editing a comment
        Keep sp for sloppier surf da for normal to hollow surf. Surfed da in big surf with bigger fins. Hell yeah. Dann you are the Mann.

So if the Nano likes waves with a bit of push and the DA likes hollow waves, whats the difference? I've got a 5'7" Nano and am thinking about pairing it with something that can handle fatter waves. I was hoping for the DA to get better turns but reading this thread it looks like I would be better sticking with my original plan and looking for a Sweet Potato. I dont really need a groveller we normally get waves over waist high here but we do get some fat junky onshore stuff. The Nano handles most stuff but isnt ideal when the waves dont get steep enough.

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        Potatonator?

• nottyR6
        nottyR6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you think that would be sufficiently better than the Nano for fat waves?
    Working...
    X