X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocker and best volume evaluation

Hi guys, I read somewhere about this idea and i would like to have the opinion of more competent guys :

Look at the rocker of a DA. When you paddle on it, almost all the parts of the board play there part in buoyancy.
    In a classical high performance board, the nose is outside of the water (possibly the tip of the tail), so you may have a couple of useless litters of volume.

So when I chose the volume of my DA, shouldn't i take this into consideration and get a one step smaller board ? ... or at least subtract 2 litters to the value of my ideal volume ?

Or am I just f***ing flies ? (It's a french expression that means that you're focused on useless details ...) :D
    Thanks !

I would ride the DA close to shortboard volume. Less than a hybrid/groveller. As you say the board is dramatically foiled and all the foam in located where it counts so the right size can seem like less volume initially.

Comment

Thanks Phill,
      But the choice is not obvious yet :
      My Suggested Volumes are
      33 - 38 Liters in weak waves
      31 - 35 Liters in good waves
      So 31.3 l for the 5.8 is a bit too small
      34.5 l for the 5.10 is a bit too much.
      I surf in Hossegor area (France) so this board would have to handle punchy (more or less) beach breaks. ... we get a lot of mush too.
      As 34.5 l is in both intervals ... I would go for a 5.10.
      You guys are welcome to tell me if I am wrong. :o)

Comment

how old are you? how fit are you? How often do you surf?

Comment

I'm 185 lbs and 6'2 and I rode a friends 5'6 DA it was great ! Took to it right away first wave was super and after a bunch more my friend wanted it back ha ha ! I'm going to get one but only going up to the 5'8 just because I live in Florida . I have been riding a sweet potato (5'4) for about 3 or 4 years and ride it in a bunch of conditions , absolutely love that thing but now I have to get a DA . To fun .

Comment

Hi Moreece,
            The volumes i gave in my message up there are from the volume calculator so they are deduced from my age, fit, surf frequency, etc ...
            But I am 45, 180 lbs, 6'2, i am in good shape, and I surf every (surfable) day (that's why my career got so sleazy :D )
            Thanks Akuri ... we're twins (except if you're 18 years old !!) and the DA 5'8 seems good for you ... how old are you seriously ? :)
            Glad you like that board ... gotta get one ! 5'8 or 5'10 ???

Comment

Funny , I'm 47 , career took a back seat to surf also but worth it . I surf as much as possible when there are waves , wife's orders .make sure you get enough waves before you go to work ! Ha ha love it

Comment

Yep Akurl some choices are obvious (career or surf) some are more difficult : DA 5'8 or 5'10 ???
                I wrote another post about the strange volume gap between the two :
                http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/f/...n-5-8-and-5-10

Comment

I say 5'8 , that's what I'm going to order tomorrow . Selling my 6'2 mini driver just don't use it much .

Comment

Thanks for the info Akurl .... I wish I could come and try it ! :D

Comment

Did you get your 5'8 Akurl ?

Comment

Working...
                      X