Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5ft 9 fuego - hope not sold myself short

purchased a 5ft 9 fuego
    had a couple of surfs. the boards flies. real happy with it, but have felt I really have to paddle hard to get into waves. Once on the face the board feels amazing, responsive and the right size
    just wanted to see what people thought about size choice, just wanting to re-assure myself I have got the right board - i.e would the 5ft 11 got into waves better?
    im 5ft 8 and 161llbs and been surfing 7 years. winter wetsuit probs adds weight to
    what are peoples thoughts - i ask because i note nev surfs the 5ft11 and he is lighter than me
    thanks

I'd say you are on the right size. 511 would go too, but at your height the 509 is a good fit. might just take a bit of extra effort in the winter suit, i assume you've probably only recently put it on too. I know I'm feeling slow in mine whilst I make that adjustment!

Comment

Hey James,
      nahh i wouldn't say you should be on the 511. At your weight the 509 is a great option. look at it this way, you'll get to know a smaller board with a volume closer to what you should be riding. you'll become a stronger paddler and be able to surf more progressively with your smaller board. Have a few more surfs on it and don't let it bum you out, that is the right size!!

you may, however, find that you want a different board for the super small days. I consider the el fuego to be really a waist high + board....

cheers and stoked on the support!

Comment

thanks chris.
        here it is on its second surf!Attachment
        Attached Files

Comment

Score looks fun. where you surfing?

Comment

east coast uk......somewhere

Comment

James,

I'm very similar stats to you, about 155-160 lbs surfing 10 years, based in London surf east coast uk and Cornwall, was finding it hard to pick between the 5'9 and 5 11, my housemate has the 5'11 and I have the 5'9 so I have Tryed both, I feel confident that the 5'9 is a good size all round blending paddle and performance for my intemiedate skill level, the 5'11 worked well but it feels like a floaty board to me (it's the same vol as my 5 2 sweet potato so I have a good idea of what it's like to surf 32 litres at my weight), I recon the 5'9 gets into waves really easy, if u give yourself a little time to adjust I think u will work into it for sure, I'v surfed mine in everything from boardshorts to 6 mm hoods boots n gloves, I actually feel it gets into waves easier than the 32 litre potato for some reason, if in 6 months it's not working still, no worries u will sell it on eBay for a good price n can pick up a 5 11. How good as the last month been on the way coast ?!

Comment

James, I got the 5'9 a few months back and absolutely love it. I ride it as a quad (SF4s) and have had it in shoulder high waves (gutless Perth waves) up to double over head (powerful West Oz surf) and it has excelled in all conditions. Im virtually the same height and weight as Nev, and an average surfer.
                Have you been on the board lately? How did it go?

Hey Matt, how do you find the 5'2 spud? I'm currently choosing between the 5'2 and 5'4. I'd be interested to hear how you find it and surprised that you find it easier to get into waves on the 5'9 elf than the 5'2 potato.

Comment

Hi

What tail shape is everyone riding and whats the differnce between the two??

I can only find a swallow in my size but was more keen on the Diamond tail.

Comment

Swallow will have a slightly longer rail line so a little more drive and probably a little more lift due to the width off the back. The diamond will be loose due to the shorter rail line.

I'm not 100% but that would make sense to me.

Comment

I'd also say, if you already have the Spitfire, the swallow might be good to mix things up.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies
                        have settled nicely on the 5.9 now. had a few surfs and its been great. stoked on it. was the right choice for sure
                        yeah, matt. december on the east has been all time. such a good month
                        lets of 2012 brings some more good swells to yorkshire!

Comment

it's been dire in the SW!

Comment

hey great to hear. Thanks for all the good words.

And i do think that is the right size....

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                              James, I got the 5'9 a few months back and absolutely love it. I ride it as a quad (SF4s) and have had it in shoulder high waves (gutless Perth waves) up to double over head (powerful West Oz surf) and it has excelled in all conditions. Im virtually the same height and weight as Nev, and an average surfer.
                              Have you been on the board lately? How did it go?

Hey Matt, how do you find the 5'2 spud? I'm currently choosing between the 5'2 and 5'4. I'd be interested to hear how you find it and surprised that you find it easier to get into waves on the 5'9 elf than the 5'2 potato.
                              Andy,

I love the 5'2, if you like the 5'9 elf then def get the 5'2, Expect it to be a little more floaty than the 5'9 elf but should perform really well at you weight and height. I think the 5'4 will feel like a bit of a boat at your weight. I think you should be choosing between the 5'2 and 5'0 really. I sent you a more detailed message of my thoughts on the board so far. Good luck, its possibly my favourite board.....

Comment

Working...
                              X