X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• El Fuego or Dominator???

I have been working my way down from longboards to 7'6" Addvance to 6'10 Addvance and now want to give "short-boarding" a go. I have nothing but praise for the addvance boards but at 168lbs 5'10" the 7'6" very quickly felt like a tanker. The 610 and I have got along great and it has even helped me improve my take offs (later and deeper). By the same virtue my long boarding has improved as well, gone is my 9'6" surftech Robert August WIR, now replaced with a 8'8" 55 liter hydroflex Dino Miranda. The miranda has a refined and sharp railed tail that is buckets of fun surfed off the tail and carves like (what I imagine) a short board might. All this, of course has me sniffing at ever shorter boards. Now I realize the 610 ADDvance has the same volume as my longboard but I have rented a 6'6" spitfire for a day and found it easy enough to catch waves on, although they were mushy 1-2ft Waikiki (inside Queens) waves. It would seems that most beginner to beginner/intermediate questions of this nature usually end up on this forum with a Dominator being the board most often suggested, no doubt for many a good reason.
    Strangely however, I am drawn to the El Fuego. I can't say why exactly. I am not sure if it's the slightly flatter rocker, the suggested 'down the line' character of the board or just the general high praise from Nev. as a very capable groveler and all rounder. Most of my surfing waist high and below would have me on my longboard and I pretty much stick to South Shore spots unless the North shore is 3-5ish and glassy. So at my current level I am wondering if I could get on with a 6'1" or 6'3 El Fuego. I am 48 yrs young and fairly fit; master swimming 2-3 times a week plus 5 or 10k run 1-2 times a week, yoga 5 days a week.
    There is still a good drop between the 6'6" SF's volume and a 6'1" or 6'3" Fuego but I was hoping the flatter rocker might compensate for some.
    Again, perhaps the Dominator is the obvious call here but could a case be made for the El Fuego?

I think either would be a good call. I reckon if if chosen an EF over a Dom I'd be equally stoked - just the way I surfed would be slightly different. Go for it!

Comment

I would highly recommend the ELF for your waves. It is a great down the line board and most of those waves on the south shore seem to have that characteristic. I think I remember in the old forum Nev saying he wished he had an ELF on the south shore. Steep bowls may be a problem, but on a normal day it would be perfect.

Comment

LateBloomer I loved my El Fuego and should never have sold it
        Just as a comparison I was 95kg / 205 pounds (and nooooo where near as fit as you sound!!!) and the 6'1" was perfect for me up until say 4-5ft powerful waves - handled any size if it was fullish waves.
        caught waves like a dream on her!

This is the fat Goanna on my 6'1" El Fuego....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KBishrhL_A

Comment

That's a sick vid Goanna. Some serious turns in there!

Comment

I love the last big turn where you really stomp on the tail. Good stuff.

Comment

Goanna, really nice video, I have watched and enjoyed it a good number of times and was also reassured that the Elf could turn as well, really well.
              So far no one has seen any reason to caution me away from this board. Now I have a couple of last questions before the big purchase. I have found both a 6'1 and a 6'3 FST swallow tail locally. The 6'3" is an older version w/ the vent plug thingy.
              At my newbie level level should I be concerned one way or another about diamond vs swallow?
              Also, any difference between older FST (vented version) and newer FST?
              Would the 6'3" still perform with my 168lbs aboard, I rather fancy the paddling advantage?
              Lastly, how would the Lost Seaworthy Controllers http://youtu.be/eH9mDCanD-g compare to the standard Future Controllers for my weight range. Nev and others rate the latter highly when used w/ the Elf. Perhaps at my level the fin template is a lot less crucial.
              Many thanks for all the input.

Comment

Originally posted by LateBloomer View Post
                Goanna, really nice video, I have watched and enjoyed it a good number of times and was also reassured that the Elf could turn as well, really well.
                So far no one has seen any reason to caution me away from this board. Now I have a couple of last questions before the big purchase. I have found both a 6'1 and a 6'3 FST swallow tail locally. The 6'3" is an older version w/ the vent plug thingy.
                At my newbie level level should I be concerned one way or another about diamond vs swallow?
                Also, any difference between older FST (vented version) and newer FST?
                Would the 6'3" still perform with my 168lbs aboard, I rather fancy the paddling advantage?
                Lastly, how would the Lost Seaworthy Controllers http://youtu.be/eH9mDCanD-g compare to the standard Future Controllers for my weight range. Nev and others rate the latter highly when used w/ the Elf. Perhaps at my level the fin template is a lot less crucial.
                Many thanks for all the input.
                Hey LateBloomer

6'3" v 6'1" - the 6'1" all the way! it has plenty of float and you won't have any issues catching waves at all - remember I was 95KG and had no issues and you are only 3 years older and a LOT fitter than me. Sure the 6'3" is going to paddle better but I reckon it will actually be a disadvantage when trying to turn like a shortboard due to so much float.
                Tail - mine was a swallow but you won't be disadvantaged by going either way
                Fins - I used FCS PC7 but I'm a lard arse! The controllers would go insane - I have them in my Potatonator.
                Vent - can't see and issues here either way

I saw another 6'1" in a surfshop here recently and if it is still there in a few months I'll buy it to sit between my Potatonator and Mini Driver - that's how much I regret selling her in the first place!

Comment

Great stuff!
                  I am a little worried about the huge drop from my 57 liter Addvance to 35 ltr 6'1" Elf.....what to do, what to do....?

Comment

Originally posted by LateBloomer View Post
                    Great stuff!
                    I am a little worried about the huge drop from my 57 liter Addvance to 35 ltr 6'1" Elf.....what to do, what to do....?
                    Hey LateBloomer, that is a huge drop indeed in volume. I ride the 6'5 FST swallow tail Elf at 90kg and love it. The board will still turn just fine if you oversize a bit. Remember Goanna RIIIIIIIIIPS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tallkook View Post
                      Hey LateBloomer, that is a huge drop indeed in volume. I ride the 6'5 FST swallow tail Elf at 90kg and love it. The board will still turn just fine if you oversize a bit. Remember Goanna RIIIIIIIIIPS!!!
                      Haha! thanks Tallkook - cheque is in the mail!

Comment

Too late, just picked up the 6'1" FST swallow tail and a set of the Lost Seaworthy quad fins. I have slapped a pad on and waxed it up already. You have no idea how many times I went back and forth between the 6'1" and the 6'3". I agree, Goanna does indeed rip. Perhaps I have been foolhardy going with the 601 but I did worry the Elf would be less intuitive if grossly overvolumed. Watching Goanna's vid and this vid https://vimeo.com/20972409 has got me drooling. i hope some of this kind of bliss is still within reach for this 48 year old latecomer.
                        I am going to go paddle it around tomorrow morning for an hour or so and just get used to having a smaller board beneath me. Maybe try riding some white water in prone position and feel out the trim a bit, I might even try a few duck dives now that I have a board better suited to this endeavor. Like I said earlier the smallest boards I have popped-up on so far have been a 6'6" spitfire and a 6'8" Takayama scorpion. This 6'1" is going to feel very unstable for me during the pop-ups. Hopefully once I'm up on my feet it will all fall into place.
                        Now I must go peek at my new board once again.
                        Last edited by LateBloomer; 04-22-2013, 12:23 AM.

Comment

How did the Seaworthy quad fins workout?

Comment

@garyandemily, I have the seaworthy controllers. The original controllers are faster (probably because of V2 foil) but the seaworthy is less "twitchy" and a little more stable on bottom turns.

ALOHA!!

Comment

@latebloomer, either board will work, but El Fuego seems like a special order board nowadays.

ALOHA!!

Comment

Working...
                              X