X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6"3 Elf fin recommendations

just brought a 6"3 elf, im 95kg-ish and 6ft 2 (is the board best as a quad or thruster?) usually surfing 1-5ft beach breaks in the uk, just wondering if anyone's got any suggestions on what fins i could use to suit the conditions and my weight.

cheers, guys

What fin system are you running? I've heard a lot of people liking the ElF as both a quad and thruster. If you're using Futrures, the Controller set up gets rave reviews, or the Simon Anderson 5 fin set to give you both thruster and quad options.
    FCS, the large Simon quad set would be worth a look. PC7s also.
    What fins do you like in other boards?

Comment

I am 92kg and use FCS stretch quad with my 6'3" elfuego. I am very happy with this set up, think it has a good balance of drive and looseness. Keep away from SA quad large, the rears are too big.

Comment

got fcs, as im quite a heavy guy it takes a bit of power to get me going and i struggle when its a bit smaller (typical uk conditions... as im sure your well aware being in cornwall, although for the last week its pumped!). For that reason iv ridden a twin fish 75% of the time in the last 2 yrs. its not really a traditional fish though...holds a bit of width until the last 1/3 where the tail really pulls in. so its a little more performance orientated than you would think, so to be honest i dont really know what i like as i haven't spent enough time dialing a set of fcs fins in as i dont spend enough time on my other boards (just not to go too small as they like to slide out at my weight!). But my guess would be to start with a large quad set up first of all as it wouldn't be a million miles away from the twin that im used to? and it will help me on the speed side of things compared to a thruster?

thanks for the reply buddy!

Comment

yeah iv got a set of stretch quads, thought about putting the sunny garcia carbons in the front and stretch in the rear. i just suppose its a trial and error process really...with added guidance along the way.

Comment

The Simon Anderson large set offer tonnes of drive and speed but can feel a little tracky through turns unless you have plenty of power. On faster, down the line waves through you'll be making sections you never dreamed off.
            You could try the SF4s in the back to loosen things up for more open faced days.

Yeah we've had a bit of a good week here! I've been wishing I had my new 6'0" as my board choices at the moment are a 5'8" or a 5'7"... Not perfect when the swell is solid!

Comment

vandangos, how do the SF4s work for you?

Comment

I'm on a 6'3" as well. Can't say enough good stuff about the Nexus H3's. Fantastic thruster setup and work great with GXQ rears in a quad setup. In knee high to head high surf they are super drivey and fast. Light years ahead of the PC7 in this regard.

Comment

good feedback gnubee!

Comment

Working...
                  X