Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I couldnt help myself. It went something like this.

I had ordered an Activator but when I called to collect it I was told I would have to wait until late June.
    But I have the cash in my back pocket and wanted to take it home today.

You could buy this El Fuego and take it home today.
    I think it might be a bit small for me coming off my Addvance.

You have the cash in your back pocket and you could take it home today
    But it is only another 8 weeks to wait and my OS trip is not till end of the year.

You have the cash in your back pocket and could take it home today.
    But flat rocker - how is it going to treat me on steeper take offs.

You have the cash in your back pocket and could take it home today.
    OK. Give it to me.

So I will cancel you Activator order.
    No that would be silly.

Comment

Hahaha sounds like my kind of thinking!

Comment

Actually I'll see how I go on the ELF. If it works for me I might rethink the Activator into something that handles a bit more size & steepness. Need to get capable on the ELF first.

Comment

HAHAHAHAHA, Awesome STC67. You will love the El Fuego mate, I've been surfing mine for the past week or so in that great east swell we've been getting and it is sensational. Can't recommend it enough. I haven't struggled on it at all and I'm not a great surfer. Did you get the 6'5?? I reckon it will sit nicely between your Addvance and your potato. Good one mate, enjoy.

Comment

Thanks Tallkook. Yes I got the 6'5.

The swell has been sensational. Wednesday I was out on the Addvance and was outclassed by some 1 1/2 head high freight trains.

Comment

yessir!! that is what we like to hear.

Comment

Had a couple of surfs on the ELF now in very full and ordinary conditions. Compared to the Addvance I feel 30 years younger walking down the beach with such a small board under my arm. To be honest I was half expecting a hopeless result and was allready considering the next purchase. My wave count was well down compared to the Addvance as I was competing with overcrowded longboarders, needless to say I was surprised at the wave catching ability of the ELF and it being reasonably compliant on takeoffs and performance (although I wasnt confronted with anything too steep).

Had enough of a surf to know there is real potential here for me stepping down from a 702 Addvance (about 25 litres). My last wave was waist high and walled up over a 25m inside section. The ELF took off at warp speed repeatedly bouncing off the top and defying the laws of physics carrying a 95kg grey haired old fat man. The most fun Ive had in ages. It has given me some inspiration to work on my fitness and more so flexibility (speed to feet) in the hope of getting some uncrowed nice waves.

Gee I love surfing.
                Last edited by STC67; 05-07-2012, 01:24 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

[QUOTE=
                  Gee I love surfing.[/QUOTE]

It's pretty good isn't it.

Comment

all about the nose and the planing area!!

makes paddling in a dream...

Comment

Originally posted by STC67 View Post
                      Had a couple of surfs on the ELF now in very full and ordinary conditions. Compared to the Addvance I feel 30 years younger walking down the beach with such a small board under my arm. To be honest I was half expecting a hopeless result and was allready considering the next purchase. My wave count was well down compared to the Addvance as I was competing with overcrowded longboarders, needless to say I was surprised at the wave catching ability of the ELF and it being reasonably compliant on takeoffs and performance (although I wasnt confronted with anything too steep).

Had enough of a surf to know there is real potential here for me stepping down from a 702 Addvance (about 25 litres). My last wave was waist high and walled up over a 25m inside section. The ELF took off at warp speed repeatedly bouncing off the top and defying the laws of physics carrying a 95kg grey haired old fat man. The most fun Ive had in ages. It has given me some inspiration to work on my fitness and more so flexibility (speed to feet) in the hope of getting some uncrowed nice waves.

Gee I love surfing.
                      Tha's what it is all about!!!

Comment

Hey STC, how's your ELF treating you?

Just wondering how the 6'2 Sweet Potato went for you? I see it's now retired, did you two not get along?

Thanks mate.

Comment

Hi Tallkook,

Unfortunately I haven't surfed the ELF much. I was away on holiday in Europe (cycling not surfing) and since I have been back, my mum has been very ill and not left much time for surfing. The few waves I have had I have been really impressed with it but want to surf it a lot more in different conditions to get to know it and what conditions it likes and does not like.

I sold the SP for a no. of reasons, It was really good in small soft waves but I never seemed to get those conditions. Much bigger than that and I always had trouble with the takeoffs and the flat rocker. I actually think it was too big for me. Anyway I wasn't using it much and like to keep the boards rotating so sold it.

Im like you and have a surf trip booked for the end of year OS and want a board to back up the ELF. I am considering the HF but it's this whole volume thing and what size to go. Personally 7 ft or around 50 litres looks good to me but everyone will tell me it's too big as a step up from the Elf. The Activator maybe too much of a crossover with the Elf but at least would give me the extra rocker to handle the steeper stuff. This is where i was really impressed with the ADDvance, I could paddle into anything it was just the performance on the bigger stuff where I felt all that volume. I have even considered going a smaller Addvance. I have to remember how little I get to surf these days and swimming makes up most of my mid week routine.

How are you going with the second board selection mate.

Hope your getting plenty of waves. Cheers STC
                          Last edited by STC67; 06-20-2012, 04:35 AM. Reason: Correct grammar

Comment

Hey STC,

Sorry to hear about your Mum being crook mate, that's no good at all, but the Euro holiday sounds pretty great!

Yeah I have agonised over volumes for a second board for my trip to the Maldives for a lot longer than I probably should have. Everyone was telling me to go smaller (6'6) on the Hellfire, but when I got my hands on one from the shop I just couldn't convince myself it was big enough, especially seeings I wanted it for bigger and better waves. I really need to get in early to give me a bit of extra time to get the big rig to it's feet and once I'm up, I'm no performance surfer. So, this is a long winded way to say I went with a 6'8 Hellfire which arrived yesterday and looks like the business. I still think I'll spend the majority of time on the Elf as it has become my go to board for sure. Give yours some time mate, as it's a very versatile shape.

I'm asking about the 6'2 SP as I have an opportunity to get one cheap. I love surfing short fat fishes in high tide small stuff, so was thinking a slightly over sized potato might go well for that. Still thinking on this one as not many people seem to have had a go on one this big.

I'll let you know how the 6'8 HF paddles, I think a 7'0 may be going a bit big, but try and hold one and go from your gut instinct.

Where are you going for the surf holiday? I think your Addvance will serve you well as a second board wherever you go.

All the best mate.

Comment

heres my 6 1 elf at lohis maldives
                              went unreal
                              Attachment
                              Attached Files

Comment

ohh man in waves like that I bet the EF was a dream!!

Comment

Working...
                                X