Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripping wax of my Fuego

Hey all,
    I bought my first Firewire- 6'1 El Fuego- about 5 months ago and have to say it is the most fun board I have ever owned! Cheers prjwebb, gnubee and chris for your sizing advice at the time of purchase... 6'1 was spot on for my size and ability. Still undecided as to my next purchase, but I'm thinking a 6'2 Hellfire would be the perfect companion for when the waves are cranking!

Just wondering about the best way of stripping old wax off as its coming into winter and I need to switch to cool water wax. For my older PU boards I've always just stripped back with a wax comb, then used a small amount of kerosene on a rag to give a final clean- never had any problems doing this but wondering about whether it is safe with a RF Firewire? Any recommendations?

Cheers!

If you have warm water wax on, just leave it on. It is harder and the softer cold water wax will apply easily over the top. It doesn't work the other way around! The harder wax acts like a scraper and removes the softer wax.
    Last edited by Slowman; 04-01-2012, 08:41 PM.

Comment

I must be lazy! I hardly ever strip old wax off unless there's too much or for some reason it is getting really dirty under my front foot (rear foot on the tail pad). And even then it will be the minimum required to get the job done. I try to make sure it doesn't get too thick in the first place as it does seem to make the board feel more responsive with a nice thin coat.

Comment

I've never applied a wax remover. I just use sun, wax comb or similar, elbow grease and finish off with an old rag.

Comment

I usually give a quick wipe over with white spirit after scraping the worst off then rinse it off thoroughly.

Comment

struth guys, why are you polishing under where the new wax is going??..just scrape it and rewax it...done...!

Comment

Get's all the dirty brown bootie stained residue off. Maybe that's not an issue for you? :p
              I also wipe the bottom too, get those waxy fingerprints off.
              OCD Phill signing off.

Comment

ha..!!..so do all your wax beads need to be the same size...???..

Comment

Don't get me started. I tried out this French wax yesterday. it's 100% natural, no petrochemicals, called GreenFix. Anyway, no beads what so ever. Just a smeary, sticky mess. I'm not sure if it's even going to work properly.

Comment

Originally posted by core personal training View Post
                    ha..!!..so do all your wax beads need to be the same size...???..
                    I know this dude and he is fastidious about his wax, he waxes it in this diamond pattern, it sort of looks funky but crikey I think that's getting carried away a bit!

Comment

I use a wax comb, a bit of sun and an old towel to finish things off. I've never used kerosene or any other chemical. Warm water now and then (I am always using cold water wax, so warm water works when the sun isn't out).

Comment

I'm with you on the OCD thing Phill! Gotta have that wax just right- especially with some solid autumn swells on the way. Speaking of which, attached is a shot from last easter... fingers crossed for more of the same soon. Attachment
                        Attached Files

Comment

sick shot! The Alternator may be an epic board too for the good days. The Hellfire and El Fuego do ride very differently...

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by grego View Post
                            I'm with you on the OCD thing Phill! Gotta have that wax just right- especially with some solid autumn swells on the way. Speaking of which, attached is a shot from last easter... fingers crossed for more of the same soon. Attachment
                            Wow, nice!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Chris and Iggy! Chris, just a question re the alternator. What do you see as the main differences between that and the hellfire? My reasoning for interest in the hellfire was that I thought it might be easier to adapt to as I already ride a hybrid, as opposed to a true performance short board shape. Locally, we get some solid swells in winter but mainly beach breaks that don't hold much more than 6 ft, and probably only surf that size a few times a year. Most of my waves are in the 1-5 ft range. Definitely need a second board to compliment my Elf tho, for 3-5 foot good conditions. Maybe I need an alternator AND a Hellfire- cover all the bases!

Comment

Working...
                              X