Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I think you will too. I am tempted to sell my SP and buy a Potatonator, but I think I will try and control myself. Firewire has made too many good boards.

Comment

Hi Brent,

I used to find myself stepping the nose to hard in order to keep moving forward. I was feeling that I choosed the wrong board/volume. Now, with the MR fins, the board feels balanced and alive.

Yes, MR small trailer on the back.

I hope I could help :-)

Comment

Awesome, I feel the same way as the board is very alive as I had a great surf last night. My friend said I was going top to bottom on my turns. Have you tried the SF4's or any other set-ups? I think having the correct fins makes all the difference. Too bad I cannot surf today as it is blown and super small, not even SP'able.

Brent

Comment

Yeh hwork I'm with you re the elfuego, I've been riding it with T1's(futures large front fin) with small TT1 trailers,found this to be the best combination after a bit of trial and error, there is no doubt you can go top to bottom on this board, just gotta make sure you dont nose dive on the way back down! (if the waves a bit sucky) have had many great surfs in the couple of years i've had mine. The small nubsters also a great addition just to mix it up a bit.

Comment

I have the MRTX fins in there and could add some really small quad fins, what do you think would be a good addition to the MRTX? The GX's I have as well as another one that I forget about.

That T1 is a huge fin! Just checked it out. Looks very similar to the MRTX. I am going to have to try it as a quad with the nubster. How did the nubster change things, just stiffen it up a bit?

I know the board is pretty flat so nose diving would not be a fun thing at all, I was pretty stoked on my purchase the other night. We will have waves tomorrow for some more trial and a few errors.

Comment

I'm not familiar with FCS fins, but the TT1 trailer is a very small fin as the T1 is definitely large, but I think thats how the magic is created! (for me anyway)
              The nubster probably just settles the board down a bit(in a positive way, drivier), I've mainly put it in when in bigger stuff around head high+ but like I said
              just to mix things up a bit, the fuego still shines without it in any size(within reason!)

Comment

Yeah I found the equivalent which would be the GX fin. I have a bunch of them around so it is not a problem. Will probably take it out tomorrow as I have a bunch of boards and fins I want to try. Too bad I am running out of time on my surf trip here in Mex..

Thanks for the quad tip as I cannot wait to try it with some bigger fins.

Comment

Ok, I surfed the MRTX with the GX side fins and here is my review. The waves were 1-3 foot, maybe shoulder high on a couple of sets although overall pretty small. On the smaller waves I thought that I was fighting the fins to go where I wanted the bard to go. On the bigger sets it went well but could nt get to the bottom and top like I did as a thruster. I put the SF4 center fin back in and will surf it again that way as I had so much more fun on it set up like that. You never know until you try which is why I am doing all this testing to help myself and anyone who wants to know. Now I am going to get the DOM and the SP squared away. SP with the CRV fins and DOM with the SF4 fins.

Comment

Yeh good stuff keep experimenting, you'll find what works for you, but dont give up on it as a quad too quick as I find it really frees up this board, have you tried it with the MRTX with a small centre trailer? I found this to go well too with me, still loose but drivey as well(TT1 fronts and single T1 rear)

Comment

That is my favorite set-up so far, loose but still lots of control and I can go anywhere I want on the wave. I tried the MRTX with the 2 trailer fins and that did not work very well as there was probably too much fin.

Comment

Late to the convo but it seemed to have morphed to P-Nator talk?

At any rate, this board (EF) absolutely kill(Z) with the KS 2.1 Quad set + Nubster.

Wow, sooo much speed and very maneuverable. I have the diamond tail.
                        Last edited by aurfalien; 08-26-2012, 04:06 PM.

Comment

I also have the diamond tail and will need to check this out as I am on a fin mission with my quiver.

The KS 2.1 fins seem like they would be too much fin for that board? How does that compare to the MRTX fins with the small trailer fin?

Let me know what else you have tired in your EF.

Brent

Comment

Thats pretty much it. I may do her as a quad later but stoked over the current setup. I do have MRTFX on my SP and they worked really well on my Futura.

Comment

Riding a 5'6 Hellfiire and the volume feels really good. I am considering getting a 5'5 El Fuego for smaller days.
                              Is it recommended to stay with a similar volume even though one is going to be much more of a groveler? My Hellfire has 24.5L, the El Fuego has 24.8L.
                              Also, what Futures fins are people liking on the El Fuego?

I have heard good things about the H-3 Nexus fins...what is comparable for Futures?

Other boards I was considering would be Activator or Jacknife. Want something for knee to waist high+ waves that is fast and manueverable.
                              Feedback from all is appreciated! Thanks.

Comment

Knee to waist high is full on El Fuego territory. I love mine in anything up to head and a half, depending on how steep it gets. I do find that I notice the higher volume when the waves get bigger though. Harder to really bury the rail, although I think some of that might be taken care of by switching to a thruster setup. If you are looking for a groveller, more volume will not hurt you. FCS Nexus H3s are all I run.

Comment

Working...
                                X