Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been surfing my ELF recently and everytime I get into a wave I always seem to bog the board down and it all comes to a stop. Do yopu think its my foot placment being to far back? Because if I paddle quite far up the nose of the board it just catches everything and a couple of inches back you get nothing! Waves have been very poor I must add! thigh high and weak stuff!

Been using sf4's as a thruster untill I get the MR Super twins.

Cheers!

Comment

Or you're bogging rail because you're too far forward and pushing water?

Comment

Hmmm maybe, maybe just need to get my foot placement dialled in as i've only surfed it a few times. Had some good one's though in the waist high region.

Comment

I'm a sucker on a flatter wide nosed board for pushing too hard on the front off the bottom and bogging. I always find it easier to stay higher on the face with those kinds of boards.

Comment

Junky, I am finding a similar thing on my Elf. More so on my backhand. I am going to post some some about after when I get a chance to properly write it up and consider it. Basically I think it could be one or a combination of few things for me;

1. I am more of a back foot surfer than I thought.
            2. The Elf works good in waist high plus waves but I need a groveler for below that = Potatonator
            3. I like high volume boards and the Elf is marginally too small for me in smaller
            4. I'm still getting used to it (I have come down considerably in volume)

Otherwise it's going well in waist high plus. Will post more on it later
            Last edited by STC67; 07-01-2012, 12:27 PM. Reason: Rework

Comment

On the money I think!

Waist high all good, smaller no good, its in its element in waist to head high I think.

As for volume I think its borderline for me, when its good surf its fine anything else a bit of a struggle, especially if i've not been in for a couple of weeks. The 6'1 could be good for smaller knee high waves.

Just surfed a Potatonator in knee high and went great, knee high wind swell too and it sat nice and high in the wave and bouyant, its ideal for small waves! cant wait to try it in bigger stuff.

Think it could make the ELF redundant!

Comment

That Potatonator feels strange in my hands, doesn't have the nice curves of the ELF!! Will take some getting use too!

Comment

I know what you mean about the ElF wanting a slightly bigger wave. Yesterday was small all day, but the morning had a bit more juice. The ElF ate it all up, even though the smaller waves found me bogging for sure. Foot placement has a huge part in it. Had a couple of rides where I linked into the inside break, which was pretty much the sole territory of the longboarders. I just made a couple of turns and kept going. I was thinking "how am I still on this wave?" Every now and again I'd get into a waist high wave and the board would simply come alive. I am finally running matching H3 Nexus Quad trailers to go with the outstanding H3 front fins and the board has all the speed and much more responsiveness compared to before with the GX-Qs in the back.

I think that some of the other boards will grovel better, (P'Nator, SP) but if you get your feet right on the ElF it will hold its own well.

Comment

Thanks Gnumbee, I am Running GC1's as I have Futures. Might try a diffent set but sounds like a bit more time in the water is the call looking for the sweet spot.

Comment

Waiting to get a set of MR TFX twins with small back fin. Need more time on it as a quad.

Comment

The more I ride the ElF, the more I notice a few things: first, changing fins REALLY changes the feel of the board. So far, the Nexus H3s in a quad setup are my favourite for smaller days. Second, where you place your feet really matters. It takes a while to get it right, but when you do, it is amazing. There seems to be more than one sweet spot too. Each makes the board ride quite differently. The board gets more pivot-y when you shift weight back, and goes incredibly fast with your weight forward. Third, it grovels WAY better than I thought it did at first. This may have to do with the fact that I purposely chose one with bit of extra foam (I could easily ride a 6'1"), but I think it has more to do with the shape. All I can say is that the more I ride it, the more I love it.

Comment

Working...
                        X