X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for the perfect match for bigger, steeper waves

OK, completely love the ElF and it is THE board for me in anything knee to head + high. The question is what to match it with for the bigger days (up to 2x head high on the face) or on the rare occasion when it gets hollow and the drops get too steep for the ElF? I have been on a 7'0" Channel Islands board (7'x19"x2 3/4") that is a rocketship when it gets bigger, but its size is a bit much for the really hollow days and it is a standard PU board and won't last forever.

My El Fuego is 39.8 litres in volume, which is great for me in my wetsuit. When looking for a bigger wave board, what is the best call with the volume? I have heard that I should drop it to allow for more performance, or raise it to get an easier paddle in. I could just keep it the same as well I suppose.

As I see it, my options are an Alternator (6'6" or 6'8"), a Hellfire (6'4" or 6'6") or Hellrazor (6'7" or 6'9"). The MB might be in the mix as well, but something about it is not really grabbing me. I like the idea of staying with the hybrid designs of the HF and HZ, since I do not get to surf nearly as often as I'd like.
    Last edited by Gnubee; 07-08-2012, 09:46 AM.

If you like your present volume you can't go past the 6'8" Alt.

You may also want to consider the Futura at 6'4" or the Quadrafive at 6'6". Particularly the Futura comes from a similar gene pool to the El Fuego, but is more refined. I surfed mine today in 2 foot Sydney SE swell and it was great. I'm sure it would surf up to 2x overhead easily. Similarly for the QF, which is just a touch more refined again, or so I understand.

Comment

Miiiinnnnnnnniiiii Drrrrriiiiiivvvvvvveeeerrrrrr. Ha worth considering also though.

Comment

Yeah, love the look of the Mini Driver.

Comment

The mini looks nice, but will it be enough? I'm not so sure about going with a board that is still 2" shorter than I am on a really big day. Maybe I'm just old fashioned and haven't really got the full hybrid concept yet?

Comment

For double overhead i'd want something at least 3" taller than myself. 6" if it was hollow. Probably wouldn't be going in though as no where really handles swell that size around here.
            For head to 1.5x overhead I think the Mini would be fun though.

Comment

yeah the mini driver can handle that easily. Overhead and a half really isn't over the top big unless you are talking backdoor...

Comment

Yeah depends on the break I guess. I think it'd be catching the wave on a small MD that would be tough if it was double overhead. No doubt the board will hold if you get into it though.

You had a chance to ride one yet Chris? Would love a ride report!

Comment

I goofed on it once, a 510 in average surf. Its been small so I have been on Dominator, Potatonator, etc...

Comment

Did the 510 feel capable in average stuff? Inspired enough to try it again in better stuff?
                    It's been bad here and the forecast continues to look terrible. The potato will be earning its keep...

Comment

yeah definitely up for trying it again, but keep in mind at 5 10 and a pretty low volume, its going to be way better in bigger surf....

Comment

Looking forward to more reports and trying mine in the not too distant future!

Comment

Working...
                        X