X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revisting the Flexfire Dimensions

Has FW thought of revisting the dimensions on the Flexfire range? I know over the past few years many people have started to go shorter and wider and thicker on their boards. I know I have. I used to ride 6'2"s and 6'3"s, now I ride 6'1"s and 6'0"s.

Take for instance one of the stock 6'2"s in the FF range, 6'2" x 18 3/8" x 2 1/4" at 25.5 liters. I really don't think anyone rides a standard 6'2" in these dims anymore. The next board up is a 6'2" x 18 5/8" x 2 1/4" at 26.1 liters. I think it would great to add some beef to all of these boards to bring them up to the current thinking around volume and length.

I think it would be good probably to go through all of the Flexfire range and add 1/8 to 1/4 in width and 1/16 to 1/8 in thickness. That would probably bring the entire range from 2007 into 2012.

Just my two cents.

Yeah I agree that they need a little more meat on them, especially if your intention is to use them in anything but perfect Indo, or you're tall, super skinny and rip hard.

Then again they are aimed at being top tier boards.

Comment

I guess you can always adjust the volume a bit also with the custom order thing or wait long enough and the trend for narrow, thin, but longer boards will come back around :p

I've got a 6,3 flex fire which is actually the longest short board I've ever had as ive always gone shorter than most guys of same height, weight etc

Hadn't surfed it for months and jumped back on it the other day not the best waves for it, but felt great to be on a old school kind of board, I do miss narrow, thin boards with a bit of rocker sometimes.
      Last edited by indodreaming; 08-10-2012, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by indodreaming View Post
        Hadn't surfed it for months and jumped back on it the other day not the best waves for it, but felt great to be on a old school kind of board, I do miss narrow, thin boards with a bit of rocker sometimes.
        I know what you mean. My last trip OS back to visit relatives where I keep a board I was forced to ride my old short board 6'6" x 19.25" x 2.38" and in anything over waist high it went really well. I had a 6'2" Hellfire on order but I didn't get it until the 2nd last day, anyway while I found jumping on the short board easy to adapt, it was actually coming back to the Hellfire, that took a bit of time to adjust, after riding the old board for 2 weeks.
        Last edited by Slowman; 08-11-2012, 02:22 PM.

Comment

I agree! The flexfire is too good a board to just let whither and die when a few tweaks would give it a new lease of life.

I Just creased my 6'3 round tail flexfire and am looking for a replacement and finding them very scarce.
          It's an awful wave catcher because of the lack of foam under your chest but I love it once up and riding. So I am also looking for more or less the same but with a little more width and foam in the nose. I have toyed with the custom order program but can't seem to get it to work. Also there doesn't appear to be a round tail option.

Alternately, of the other models on offer what would be the closest to the flexfire, preferably with a round tail option?

Comment

Agreed, artillery is off on it's own. Bourez doesn't have step up options.
            Flexfire ideal step up and gun platform.

Comment

Found my problem with the custom board design program at least. I use Foxit pdf reader which chokes on it.
              Still can't find a round tail option though.

Comment

Working...
              X