Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard Flexfire or custom Alternator?

Hi guys,
    I ride slightly fuller boards with a and am looking at getting my first FireWire. Here's te thing, I am looking at getting a 6'4 as my regular shortboard but the alternator is way too wide. My current board is a polyester 6'4x18 and 3/4.
    I like the dimensions of the Flexfire 6'4x19x2.5, but am wondering if this will be too refined through the tail and nose. Would this board be much different to an alternator if I ordered the alternator custom with the same dimensions?
    I still want a board that I can use in a variety of conditions shoulder high and above likes existing poly which is getting tired..
    Thanks, your help is appreciated!

Oh yeah, there is also a Flexfire which is 6'4 x 18 and 3/4 which would be great dimensions but is a round tail. I guess I want to know if the Flexfire is as good all round as a Alternator would be if I got it custom in the same dimensions...

Comment

Flexfires are pretty narrow in the nose and the foil is pretty refined. The Alternator would be a little flatter, a little thicker in the rail and fuller through the nose and tail.
      Flexfires are purely good wave boards in my opinion.

Comment

Ok, thanks. The 2.5 thickness is more than I'm used to so I'm thinking it may be a little more forgiving all round. Anyone else experience in this department? Would you go with a custom alternater then??

Comment

I rode a 6.2 2.5" thick squash DD flexfire. The thickness in the middle foils out to a pretty thin tail.
          I'm 68kg + wetsuit and was surprised as normally ride 2 1/4.
          It was a pretty average day up to head and a half I guess...
          I have just picked up a round tail 62 but the thin one which is 2l less or so. I've only paddled it, not ridden waves but it's very foiled. Quite the opposite from the current trends.

Comment

i rode 6'3-6'4's then nev put me on the 6'2 x 18 3/4 x 2 1/2 flexy....THE best shortboard EVER .... can ride it in tiny slop up to whatever i could paddle into.....about to replace my broken one

Comment

I'd have to agree as well
              My flexy is the best shortboard i have ever ridden
              I normally only ride it in good waves because the volume is a lot less than i like
              But in the Maldives while in boardies it was the only board i was riding and had so much fun

Comment

woo!

Comment

Myles is lending me a 603 1st gen FE to take to Morocco as a step up. Should be interesting. I've only had a couple of waves on a Flexfire in the past. Double overhead Ankor point will be fun for getting used to a different board... The boys were talking about Safi too.....

Comment

anchor point and that board will come alive!!

Comment

Yeah, I'm hoping to stay on my Mini Driver set as a quad as much as I can, but when it gets sizey I just want to catch them a bit easier. I can only take 3 boards so the Spitfire is going to stay at home. 510MN/600CBD/603FE and all of my fins!

Comment

yeah that's all you need. the waves are good enough there...

Comment

Yeah, if the swell is too small for the points there's a beach break about 25 minutes north that's a swell magnet. Last time I was there we surfed Anchors, Killers or Mysteries every day for 3 weeks. The first time I went we spend most of the two weeks at the beach break though...

Comment

So, I picked up an older 604 x 18.75" x 2.38" 29.2l rounded pin Flexfire today for 300. Couldn't resist. Down The Line have a big sale on to clear older stock. Not too many Firewires in the sale though as they don't seem to have much trouble shifting them. This has the old style FCS plugs so I'm guessing it's been sat in there for around 3 years. Still pretty white though and very light. Looking forward to putting it through it's paces in Morocco.

Board looks sick though. Nice shape, very refined rails, especially through the nose and tail. Pretty deep single concave right through. The tail looks deadly. I'm not even taking the stickers off it though, if I end up not using it I'll probably still it on ebay as new.

Comment

Got any pics mate

Comment

Working...
                              X