X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flexfire Semi Gun - DD vs FST

So, I had a DD 6'8" (DFE-608P-05 : step up 6' 8" 19 3/8" 2 5/8" pin 33.9) on order but a FST 6'8 is available and a DD version will be a couple months off.
    Unsure if I should snap up the FST or wait for DD...
    Searching forum and those with DD seem to prefer them for lively and one said paddles like it's longer?

Local shop here has a demo DD 6'2 flexfire which seemed okay to me in a little bit of bump but not super windy day. Maybe I need to ride it again?
    Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. Cheers!

Bit of background.
    I'm 68kg 173cm?, plus wetsuit (4/3 or 3/2 almost all year). Looking for something in DOH open ocean, lots of water movement, think sunset more than pipe. Hence the extra volume? Thinking my sweet spot is 28l now, used to think ~26l. Average ability 30yr.
    I ride a 6'0x19x2 1/4 - 28l custom lost rockup when head+ and hollow.
    A 5'9 FST or 5'10 FF Stealth when < head high or flat face <= head+half.
    Just picked up a 6'2 26l round tail flexfire in FST, but haven't ridden yet.
    Last edited by suberimakuri; 11-06-2012, 11:22 PM.

I am thinking that maybe you don't need to go up to 608 for DOH waves unless its reaallly hollow? even then it still may be a stretch? I think you'd be good matching a flexfire to your ideal volume, but it would also be worth while checking out the artillery series too....

Comment

Thanks Chris. 6-8ft is more accurate and super hollow. So more just to get in early and get barreled. That said are some point breaks where it's big walls as well.
      There's something to test coming up and I might do that then revisit, maybe go thin or 6'6 or artillery?.... argh the choices!
      I'm finding on 28L it's not enough paddle power or I'm not under the ledge enough.

Comment

yeah on the steep stuff, you definitely want the volume under your chest. So perhaps go for 608 or one of the artillery boards. my brother just took a 608 Flexfire to cloudbreak and liked it a lot because of how much paddle power he had. made the difference in getting in before the lip had grown ultra mean.

Comment

Nice. Cheers!
          I've been hunting around for the artillery range and see they're pretty new. I think somewhere in the 6'5 to 6'7 range for me if went that way.
          Is there any info out there comparing outline, rocker of the artillery's? Can't see it on boardformula..

Comment

yeah it hasn't been added to the board compare yet.

soon though...

Comment

How do u compare the lost rock up to your flex fire step ups? I like the design. I'm still hoping FireWire and lost can do something with it. I've heard good things about it as a hollow wave step up board.

Comment

FYI. Not pulling the trigger on anything other than FW. Still a loyal and happy customer. Just think LOST has some good ideas. NEV is still a genius in my book and I will always buy FireWire.

Comment

I really like the rock up. It's my favourite board and as the description says is like a one board quiver.
                  At 28L (I'm 68kg) it's got plenty of volume which makes it easy to paddle in open beach. The tail is knifey so in Tonga on reef break it got in under the ledge and held. 2-5ft it's magic. Gets pushed a little at the extremes of that range but workable. Initially 19" wide was a bit weird, bit wide... but seems fine now. It does fine in the bumpy stuff, maybe because PU?
                  Low nose rocker was a little bit hard to adjust to from a flexfire type board, but it's similar to the stealth, low nose, high tail.
                  Rock-up is about 6 months old and I think I'll get another 6 out of it, then unless I take to a 6'3 round tail flex fire or an artillery I think I'll get another exactly the same. Be a brilliant board in FST.
                  I haven't surfed the 6'2 yet only paddled it around and it's thin, haven't even paddled the 6'8.

Comment

Working...
                  X