Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FCS: AM-2 =Medium, G-AM = Large
    FUTURES: AM-2=Large, AM-1=Medium

Confusing, yes.... I guess I should try to find some medium fins.. make me wonder why he didn't recommend the JC1 og EA, as they are a size Medium.....

Comment

FCS: AM-2 =Medium, G-AM = Large
      FUTURES: AM-2=Large, AM-1=Medium

Confusing, yes.... I guess I should try to find some medium fins.. make me wonder why he didn't recommend the JC1 og EA, as they are a size Medium.....

Was thinking that a smaller center fin would be good on a step-up (like the AMs have)... the EA template seems pretty balanced and I would think that it would be the safe call...

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
        I'm no fin guru but that V2 foil is pretty extreme. I'd avoid it in bigger, more powerful waves and stick with flat sided fins for a more predictable feel.
        The AM template names confuse me between FCS and futures but if they are the ones I'm thinking of I think they'd be a good choice. My buddy was running the medium AMs in his step up in Morocco with great results.
        Agree with that 100%. You dont want extra lift at high speeds hence why a flat foil is important in bigger surf. I have the AM2's and the GAM's (futures and fcs) and they are a great fin. They do have a fair bit of rake so can stiffen a board up a little. You can go with a slightly more upright fin but make sure its flat sided for the bigger stuff.

Comment

Asked them why I shound't go for M sized fin, this is the reply:

------------------------

Futures Fins

A medium sized fin wouldn't be bad, the larger size is just a general recommendation for your weight range and since you are moving towards a slightly bigger board. But if you are comfortable with that range of fin, it would be no surprise if an EA or JC1 worked well for you.

Take John John Florence, he grew up riding the F4 (and his grom sized signature fin), and though he really has outgrown the F4 he continues to ride it at Pipe.

If you want something in the mid-size range then the EA is very popular template and we offer it just about every material type.
          -Adrian

-----------------------------------

Think I'll go with the EAs or maybe Am-2. Depends on what material they're made of.

Comment

All the fins was natural composite, so I might buy a new set anyway.
            The sticker on the board said that Futures Black Stix was factory spec fin for this board, and the "other" was V2FEA. So I went with the V2R1, seemed to be the closest ones he had.

The board has been standing on display in a window, with all the original stickers on... So the sun has given the board a light yellow tan, except under the stickers... Is there any way to make the board white again?

Comment

So... Think I want some smaller fins to make it easier to turn and a bit looser feel.

What fins, if I can choose from all the futures fins (medium I guess) ?
              Could the WCTs work, as the board have a fair amount of drive and hold on its own?

Comment

Yeah I think they'd be a good pick

Comment

Originally posted by Erling View Post
                  So... Think I want some smaller fins to make it easier to turn and a bit looser feel.

What fins, if I can choose from all the futures fins (medium I guess) ?
                  Could the WCTs work, as the board have a fair amount of drive and hold on its own?
                  I have those fins and dont think they are a great choice for a 6'8 step up. I would be looking for something a little more neutral like the Matt Biolos fins the MB2's ..the ones with the carbon base, blue internal foam. I have them in my step up and love them. The WCT's to me are a head high beachy fin for vertical surfing, slides etc.

Comment

Aren't you about 90kg FW-Fan ? I'm about 78kg at the moment... What step-up do you have and what conditions are you using it in?

This step-up won't be seeing any hollow double head kind of waves any time soon.... I'll be using it when I'm having trouble getting into waves with my alternator... I could do without it, just wanted to try something like this out and came across a good offer. Realy surprised about how well it paddles and how easy it is to get into waves.

Comment

The Mb-2 is a size large fin... I'll rather try a medium this time

Comment

Originally posted by Erling View Post
                        The Mb-2 is a size large fin... I'll rather try a medium this time
                        Get the smaller ones then. There are 3 sizes in the Matt Biolos fins. The ones I suggested were the middle ones. I weigh 84kgs. I have several step ups ranging from 6'3 to 6'6. A couple of Stretch quads and 3 Josh Dowlings. I prefer a bigger fin when its a bit bigger. Up to you but I would never use a WCT in a step up and arguably at 80kgs you should be using a bigger fin too. You are border line though. I have the WCT's and the Kelly 2.1's so have nothing against the fin, I like them just not in a step up. I use the Sunny Garcias in my gun which is a Simon Anderson 6'10. I use my step ups when warranted. Generally head high and a half and I would move up from 6'0 - 6'2 to my 6'3.

Comment

Working...
                        X