X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6'8 Flexfire - DD

I'm considering getting a step-up and I might get a 6'8 Flexfire Direct Drive at a good price. I don't surf waves that are super hollow, but want a board that can get me into bigger waves easier and with confidence.

Future fins... I can get the board with fins, and can choose any of these: AM-2, Rusty, Eric Arakawa, JC1. Not sure of what material they are yet. Could any of them fit the board an me ?

Could you check the volume on this one Chris ?

Attachment
    Attachment
    Attached Files

Where abouts is this one for sale mate
    Looks like a sick step up
    I f you dont buy it i will

Comment

31.5 litres according to the volume chart on the board view

Comment

Not quite a 608P, but I was loving my 604R FE in Morocco. Paddled well against the currents and got into those big walls of water much easier than my shortboards. As long as the wave was overhead it never felt too long either.

Comment

Prjwebb: looks like they are quite similar in the outline, just a bit more nose in the 608: http://boardformula.com/showanimation/2620/39/

50Young: yeah, I've checked the chart... just wanted to be sure, as they've changed the shapes a bit during the years.

Attachment
          Attached Files

Comment

and how should I place the tailpad on this one? all the way back as usual ?

Comment

Back foot over the rear fin as usual I'd say. I wouldn't be surprised if you had your back foot forward when taking off and driving down the line though. Pretty sure I did.

Comment

ok.
                What about the fins? I've got no experience with Futures or guns... should I go for something in the large range or does the rail give the enough hold, so I should go for a size Medium ?
                Could any of these work? AM-2, Rusty, Eric Arakawa, JC1. Not sure of what material they are yet

Comment

I just stuck with my usual DL template. I certainly wouldn't go any bigger than usual. Template wise I guess it depends on the type of wave.

Comment

well... I don't have any Future fins... guess I would try out my PC5s and K3s in it if it was FCS...

Comment

Yeah I'd stick with a fairly neutral template, no crazy inside foils etc. and nothing too stiff.

Comment

No one with experience with any of these Futures fins: R1, JC1, EA or Am-2 ?

What would be the right choice for a 6'8 step-up and me (80kg) ? Will be using the board in waves from headhigh+ (not super hollow) when I'm struggeling to paddle in with my alternator.

Comment

EA looks pretty neutral to me

Comment

Got a reply from Futures Fins on Facebook:

Hi Erling,
                            I would recommend either the R1 Blackstix or the AM2 Techflex but of those two choices I would go with the AM2 over the Blackstix.
                            The reason I suggest the AM2 Techflex is because you are stepping up in to bigger, more powerful surf and the Techflex have a strong, resilient flex (much like our glass line of fins) but also lightweight.
                            The R1 Blackstix are also great, but I think this is what you will want to go with if you are doing more technical surfing with a tighter turn radii. This comes from the specific carbon lay-up paired up with our V2 Foil.
                            If you are on the fence about either one check your local surf shops to see if they have a Fin Tree. That will allow you to check out the fins before you buy them.
                            -Adrian

Comment

I'm no fin guru but that V2 foil is pretty extreme. I'd avoid it in bigger, more powerful waves and stick with flat sided fins for a more predictable feel.
                              The AM template names confuse me between FCS and futures but if they are the ones I'm thinking of I think they'd be a good choice. My buddy was running the medium AMs in his step up in Morocco with great results.

Comment

Working...
                              X