X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Board for Morocco???

Hi Off to morocco in jan. Wanting some advice on board to take. Heading down the south and no doubt be some powerful swells. Guides have recommended a good pintail.... I was hoping a good standard shortboard do the job.... Would u guys be comfortable on flex fire in good conditions? Other board I thinking is hell razor. Torn as want to enjoy. Don't want to be undergunned. I'm no ripper so head high points my limit! I would have hoped hell razor or flex fire be ok?? Any advice much appreciated, as kinda worried I need to be looking at step up???

My advice is a good paddler. Once the points turn on the currents get strong. My buddy surfed his 5'11 HellRazor there, it looked like it went good to me but he often preferred his 6'3 squash tail poly board when there was any size. Around the head high to 1.5x overhead I felt like my mini driver worked well. It paddled good, caught waves well, held in and flew as a quad. However I probably preferred my 6'4 round tail Flexfire in anything overhead and low tide. It just felt more dependable and was much easier to move around the line up on. I'm not sure how the waves are down south though as I stayed around killers most of the time.

Comment

I haven't tried the flex fire, but I do like the Hell Razor a lot. The HZ is very fast down the line, and precise in the pocket. In head high surf it will work very well.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Thanks guys. Phill, so if I took my flex fire 6.3 squash id be covered for bigger days? Going to take a smaller board like my dom for smaller mush if forecasts not great.

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          It can get really solid.but if you're not keen to surf those days then Dom and FF would have you covered.

Phill Thinking might order 6.4 round tail flex...... Only downer is usage in uk, which is why thought getting a razor, but will see!' Tempted by so many models

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          Razor would be good. I've never used
          my FF at home. It's hanging on the wall waiting for another trip...

Volume wise I ride 5ft 8 dom and it's spot on. Think I'd be ok on 6.4 or 6.3 flex fire? Or do I need to drop even more volume as it's more performance. Torn between 6.3 and 6.4, but thinking the slightly bigger the better for the juicy stuff? Thanks for the help

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          I used to ride a 5'8 Dom too. The 6'3 and 6'4 round tails are pretty close in volumes I think. Either would be good. I'd go 6'3 if you're under 6ft tall. 6'4 if you're over.

Phil

Comment

Phill, what are your thoughts about a bourez as an alternative? would a thin 6.2 model do the job? just bit worried about the high performance flexfire! would bourez be better paddler etc?

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmm I'd check it out in the flesh if you can. The Bourez packs some foam and may feel a little chunky.

Ok man, I thought that be the case. Stocks in uk mean I can get 6.3 squash flex. Maybe just go with that..... It's the length that's making me think that the right call. I'm getting tempted to double up and take a 5ft 10 mini driver to..... U think that be a good board and right size for all days it's not huge?

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            Most people tend to ride doms with a bit more volume though.
            What are you weighing? I'm guessing the 75kg/165lbs range?
            The Mini Driver feels like more board than it's volume would suggest. 5'10 was perfect for me at 165-170lbs. I think that's a good board for those types of waves, especially head high and below. I definitely felt more comfortable on the Flexfire when there was a solid long period swell running and the current is pulling down the point hard.

Last time I took a 5'10 Mini Driver, a custom Taj is similar dims to the 6'0 MB thin, and a 6'4 Flexfire round tail.
            I surfed the Taj once in a month. Too much effort to paddle in the long line ups. Surfed the Mini Driver loads because I was a bit hesitant to surf the 6'4. Hadn't ridden it before at that point. Wants I surfed it it became my go to board out there unless the swell dropped.

I ride 5ft 8 dom , so figure 5ft 10 mini driver good call?

Comment

• james
            james commented
            Editing a comment
            Vol quite a lot lower than dom tho? Maybe a 6ft??

Phil , yep 75kg! Spot on. I like the idea of the 5ft 10 mini driver being small but handling lot more than the dom. Seems like a good purchase? Good for variety of surf? I'm leaning towards flex fire for the bigger days, just nervous about such a responsive high performance board. I guess it will fill solid in the big stuff! I have visions of it feeling like a toothpick!?

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah if you're not used to riding full on shortboards it might feel a bit refined. Over that length and at 18.75" wide it doesn't feel too skinny, to me at least.
            A round tail 6'2 Alternator could be a good pick if you're nervous about going too skinny. That looks like a nice step up to me.
            The Mini Driver is a great, versatile board. The 5'10 Pile Driver looks like a fun one too...

Yeah thought about the alternator..... More vol tho? Think I'm thinking too much!! I guess a 6.3 flex will be a staple for years and lots of trips. It paddle well?

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            My 6'4 paddles real nice. Good bit of glide rather than stopping dead between each stroke.
            Yeah definitely a good staple in the quiver.

What about the Unibrow. Have a mate that loves his Dom but has just picked up the Uni. He says it's his perfect quiver

Comment

James, i ride a 5.8 dom and have the 6.1 hellrazor and 6.3 flexfire pin tail, the hellrazor is a lot easier to paddle than the flexfire, handles good offshore waves just as well as the flexfire, but is not as easy to turn as the flexfire i find, a small trade off for paddling ability. I am selling both the flexfire and the hellrazor if your interested, both hardly been surfed as i spend most of my time on my dom and i'm wanting to change my quiver, message me if your interested mate.

Im in the UK (west wales)

Comment

Hey James, I'm selling my 6'4 Flexfire if it's of any interest to you?
              http://community.magicseaweed.com/vi...417053#p417053

Comment

Working...
              X