Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9' Broken in half X2

Hi all,

I was out this morning in pretty small surf (2'-3') at a local beach break and on the "last wave of the day" I popped off the board at the end of the wave and went to collect it after the wave passed, only to find it split in half, only being held together by the bottom bamboo layer. This is especially heartbreaking for two reasons:

1) The board has been ridden maybe 15 times. Not a mark on it.

2) This board was purchased to replace another Flexflight which had snapped in nearly the exact same place in similar conditions!

I don't surf big waves. Heck, they don't usually get bigger than 4'-6' where I surf here in Los Angeles. I also take really good care of my equipment and it sucks to put a new-looking board that's in two pieces back into a new board bag bought just to protect this board as the last one was getting marked up on the rails from only using a sock.

I've also never broken a board before these two. The latest victim is a current model, and it's quite thin relative to it's length. Can anyone offer up some evidence that this may be a contributing factor, and/or give me some evidence to support why I should buy another? I liked the way the first board rode; that's why I bought another. It's light, has a good shape, and snaps nicely for a longboard, but I'm not made of money and at over $1600 invested in what is now scrap pains me to no end.

Thanks for any advice,

Warren.

Thanks for the advice. I've contacted Chris and he provided me with a quick response.

Cheers,

Warren.

Comment

What did he say warren? I'm about to buy a firewire, but nervous because I've heard so many reports of snapping boards

Comment

Originally posted by garek007 View Post
        What did he say warren? I'm about to buy a firewire, but nervous because I've heard so many reports of snapping boards
        ??? so many... no way its a high percentage compared to whats out there..

Comment

Buy something else if you're worried.
          Have fun on it.

Comment

Originally posted by cuttlefish View Post
            Buy something else if you're worried.
            Have fun on it.
            That's why I'm asking, because the dominator looks super awesome, but I'm concerned. Just need a few to tell me there's nothing to worry about. KDroping helped, in your opinion they break less than other boards?

Comment

The thing is nobody posts complaining how their board didn't break, if they did you would then see how rare one breaking really is...probably likewise for PU boards too. The number that snap is a small percentage of those made...for FW it is even less, less for rapidfire construction and less again for FST.

The thing is the net is not the most organised place for getting the true picture of the data.
              Last edited by Slowman; 12-07-2012, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Thanks Slowman

Comment

That's why I'm asking, because the dominator looks super awesome, but I'm concerned. Just need a few to tell me there's nothing to worry about. KDroping helped, in your opinion they break less than other boards?
                  Buddy if you take care of them they will take care of you!!!!.Yet to experience any issues with them. After use and abuse my boards are in mint conditions. I've gone through some boards already. Completely different feeling to that of a PU board. FW boards do actually feel alive!

Comment

And believe me, my boards go through countless hours in the water. Surf 4-5 days a week putting quite some pressure on those decks

Comment

I rode one over the weekend and loved it. I was able to catch smallish waves and actually do something with them. On the other PU boards I rode I'd just lose power. I'm actually riding a 6.2 and I've never been able to go that short before. I'm going to try a 6.4 just to be thorough, but I'm sold on the Dominator!

Comment

thanks for the good words folks...

Comment

Working...
                        X