X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by buzzy View Post
    Argh. Surgery? I'd be curious to hear how it goes. I had surgery flagged a decade or so ago but I've dodged it so far.
    Hear how it goes Slowman? that's pretty funny!
    this is the 3rd time I've had it done in 5 years......but I'm not giving up surfing!!

Comment

Originally posted by Goanna View Post
      Hear how it goes Slowman? that's pretty funny!
      this is the 3rd time I've had it done in 5 years......but I'm not giving up surfing!!
      Wish I'd said it but it was Buzzy, yep I've been fighting exostosis as well, I'm using ear plugs now that stops it getting wet and then infected which then blocks it. My right ear is the worst. Got close to surgery over a decade ago because it was infected and blocked but once the infection was fixed and the inflammation died down there was quite a good space. It is just getting it wet that increases the opportunity for infection, so I use both plugs and Aqua Ear (isopropyl alcohol and vinegar) after I surf....next I'll be strapping glasses on LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
        Wish I'd said it but it was Buzzy, yep I've been fighting exostosis as well, I'm using ear plugs now that stops it getting wet and then infected which then blocks it. My right ear is the worst. Got close to surgery over a decade ago because it was infected and blocked but once the infection was fixed and the inflammation died down there was quite a good space. It is just getting it wet that increases the opportunity for infection, so I use both plugs and Aqua Ear (isopropyl alcohol and vinegar) after I surf....next I'll be strapping glasses on LOL!
        Oops sorry Slowman (and Buzzy)

Yep my right ear has been done twice now and they put it down to the cold Southerlies we get. I too wore plugs at first but it hasn't worked. I had a 1mm hole left and it was constantly blocked and water logged - although the Aqua Ear solution did work well. This time I am getting custom moulded ear plugs and going to be Ultra Diligent - I could have bought another board with the money I spent on the OP!

Comment

Gee guys this whole ear thing is scary...I dont want to go there. I had a really bad sinus infection which put me in hospital for a couple of days about 8 - 10 years ago. Ever since my right sinus cavity holds heaps of water which is usually not a problem but every now and then it gets infected and I am back on the antibiotics.. It never ceases to amaze me that I can go to tie my shoes some 2-3 hours after a surf and all of a sudden I get about 3-4 tablespoons of water poor out of my right nostril...it grosses the kids out (which is part of the fun). It doesnt always come out and I guess it just gets absorbed into my body...Not that I would wear them now but can you get nose plugs? I would rather wear them than have the op.. I hear its very unpleasant.

Comment

I was told 10 or so years ago I'd need the Op in 5. I've dodged the bullet so far. Aqua Ear and Docs Pro Plugs are a saviour.

Comment

Oops said most of that already!

Comment

First of all I gotta say sorry to aurfalien for hijacking his thread! Maybe I should start one somewhere else

FW-Fan the Op for surfers ear aint that bad in my experience (3 times so far!)- probably the worst thing for me is being out of the water!
                I have heard some doctors cut the ear off or hinge it - in fact I know of a guy that's had his ear sewn on lower! he cops heaps from his mates about it too - I've been told this is a slower more painful recovery.
                My Doctor uses a newer technique - he cuts inside the ear canal to open it up more and I ended up with 4 little stitches.
                I was only in hospital overnight and home by 10am the next day. I had five days at home but honestly could have gone back to work after 3 because I have a desk job.
                Only needed standard pain killers as well.

Of course it's not ideal but it was at the point where I was having too many issues and had to bite the bullet.

Comment

No worries Goanna.

I am enjoying the banter of you old geezers.

Comment

Working...
                  X