Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No luv for the Futura I see...

.. just sayin, not much chatter here.

An awesome board. Not for the avg iPad user who like bling and is clueless etc...

This board is amazing, and now with 5 fin boxes! Mine only had 3 and I guess the latter models may have had 4 as the description says " We've added a 5th fin box for the coming year..." meaning it had 4 previously?

- aurf

Plenty of love here Aurf! Love mine and it's been said for a long time - it's hugely under rated.

Comment

Hi Goanna,

What fins do you use?

I have a set of H3 thrusters in her now, haven't tried them yet.

Have you tried the KS Quad set + Nubster?

I was using the MR TFX + trailing fin.

- aurf

Comment

I only have the thruster and use PC5. I'd be keen to try something else for when it gets around 5ft and powerful but all good so far!

Comment

Lots of love here. I have the 5 fin set up but have only surfed it as a thruster so far, and I'm using the Joel Parko Kinetic Racing fins in whatever they call their PC technology. Very happy so far.

Comment

Yeah I agree. The Futura is a great one. just fell victim to being one of the first board we put out. as a result, other new releases have overshadowed it. It will always be there for those who love it though.

Cheers!

Comment

The Flexfire flys under the radar too really. I don't think there are many topics about them on here.

Comment

Originally posted by aurfalien View Post
                Hi Goanna,

What fins do you use?

I have a set of H3 thrusters in her now, haven't tried them yet.

Have you tried the KS Quad set + Nubster?

I was using the MR TFX + trailing fin.

- aurf
                The Futura (or Quadra5) looks a lot like my Webber Afterburner...for what it's worth I used TC redline as front side fins and a 3" trailer fin...sort of like a twin fin but sort of like a thruster too. I could slide it when I wanted and yet drive it when I wanted without it slipping (well nearly always) and when it got a bit bigger I'd just put the TC redline trailer fin in. Something different to try anyway. I started out using the MR TFX side fins with the 3" trailer and it was OK but I wanted to go a bit smaller and see what would happen - was pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Slowman, the Futura is a little wider overall than the Afterburner, at least the versions of the Afterburner I was riding 6, 7 or possibly even 8 years ago. I know that GW has widened the Afterburner a tad as the standard shortboard got a little wider, but I think his board is still a touch more narrow and "pointy". His boards also have more concave ju ju, which is understandable. Not apropos of anything specific except being informative!

Comment

Originally posted by buzzy View Post
                    Slowman, the Futura is a little wider overall than the Afterburner, at least the versions of the Afterburner I was riding 6, 7 or possibly even 8 years ago. I know that GW has widened the Afterburner a tad as the standard shortboard got a little wider, but I think his board is still a touch more narrow and "pointy". His boards also have more concave ju ju, which is understandable. Not apropos of anything specific except being informative!
                    Yep - I'd reckon the Futura is a touch more refined towards "performance" than "hybrid" than the Afterburner - both wicked boards though!
                    Slowman I'm in your neck of the woods and out of the water for the next 6 or so weeks - always happy to share the stoke if you're keen on the riding the Futura.

Comment

Thanks Goanna. Might take you up on that since I'm starting to look seriously at a Jacknife which is based on it. BTW, what's keeping you dry for so long?

My AB is one of the older ones (6'6" x 19 1/4" x 2 3/8") and the nose is narrower than anything else I have. I actually have 2, 1 at home and 1 overseas along with another Hellfire, it really makes the HF look like a spitfire, almost!

Comment

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
                        The Futura (or Quadra5) looks a lot like my Webber Afterburner...for what it's worth I used TC redline as front side fins and a 3" trailer fin...sort of like a twin fin but sort of like a thruster too. I could slide it when I wanted and yet drive it when I wanted without it slipping (well nearly always) and when it got a bit bigger I'd just put the TC redline trailer fin in. Something different to try anyway. I started out using the MR TFX side fins with the 3" trailer and it was OK but I wanted to go a bit smaller and see what would happen - was pleasantly surprised.
                        I really miss my quadra five (only had the quad version). That thing, due to the very thin tail, used to twang like no other board I have ever had...so much flex...I used to surf my local and pump as hard as I could and that board used to just wind up and go faster and faster...wonder if I could sneak a newy up in the roof.

Comment

Thanks Goanna. Might take you up on that since I'm starting to look seriously at a Jacknife which is based on it. BTW, what's keeping you dry for so long?

exostosis - a.k.a surfer's ear!
                          let us know about the test ride - I reckon it would be pretty close to the Jacknife.

Comment

Argh. Surgery? I'd be curious to hear how it goes. I had surgery flagged a decade or so ago but I've dodged it so far.

Comment

I rode a futura almost every surf for 5 years and completely agree that it is underrated! Board flies and is very performance focused. Rode it in crap California summer waves to perfect overhead Maldives.

I liked mine with MR TFX fins on small days and K3's on bigger days. I had one of the first ones with only three fin boxes so I never had the option of riding it with quads but bet it would be really fun. I hope to add a Futura to my quiver again sometime soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X