X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future as standard go to short board?

I'm in the process of getting 5 new firewires after making an insurance claim, had a bunch of boards stolen (including a brand new dom and jacknife) and so am looking to build a but of a FW quiver to replace my firewires and poly boards that were pinched. Where I am getting stuck is trying to find a board to replace my standard go to shortboard (poly not epoxy) that I've always had, same custom everytime: my shorty is 6'1 x 18 1/2 x 2 1/4, swallow tail, single to double concave with fairly boxy rails. So was thinking a 5'10 Futura would be the go, so... The jacknife I had was the 5'10 which is 2 1/4 thick, same thickness as my shorty, however JK has a fairly rolled deck so I found the rails to thin and the board to be a little to knifey/bog rail a lot, as opposed to my shorty with boxier rails/more forgiving. I am wondering wether the 5'10 Futura has boxier rails than the 5'10 JK? I know they are both same thickness but am hoping the Futura might not be such a rolled deck so rails have a little more meat? Can anyone confirm if this is the case? Also would just be interested to hear anyone's experience/thoughts with the Futura in general. I live in west oz so surfing punchy hollow waves mostly and like to be able to surf in the pocket, tight snaps under the lip ect as opposed to big arcs, thus my preference for swallow tail on my shorty, interested to know if this sounds like the Futura particularly from a Futura owner! Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Pooh beach; 07-23-2014, 09:13 AM.

I thought the JK was basically a Futura with a double flyer. It's pretty refined.

Comment

• Pooh beach
      Pooh beach commented
      Editing a comment
      I've not seen a Futura in the flesh but am thinking part of the jk being a refined version might suggest it has thinner rails, so what I am interested to know is does the Futura and also the quadra 5 have boxier thicker rails than the jk?

Futura rails are very refined, much more than you'd think for a fish. if you like boxy rails, look at the thin 6'0 bourez. its close to your ideal dimensions. I find it a very easy board to surf, and I'm not much of a surfer

Comment

Hey Pooh,
      sorry to hear about your boards! I have a gut feeling that if you found the Jacknife to be a little bit too thin and they feed, but you do like swallowtails, then you'd be super happy with the Futura. the only downside is it's a special order board at this point so there aren't many around. This means that you're going to have to wait for one to be built, which isn't the end of the world it just requires a little bit of patience.

My brother has been riding the Futura pretty much since it came out and it's one of his quiver staples, highly versatile in small to decent surf, that carves and drives well and holds a line in the barrel.

Comment

• Pooh beach
        Pooh beach commented
        Editing a comment
        Cheers Chris, another board I am considering is the quadra 5, how does this compare to the futura? I should clarify I would only ever be riding any of these boards as thrusters (not a fan of riding quad setup) which was why initially I was thinking futura however a fw rep in WA mentioned the quadra as a good option even as thruster.

Howzit Pooh - I have a first generation Futura (before they stuck the extra fin boxes in). It's been the one constant in my quiver for the last seven years.

The rails are pretty much the same as you'll find on a standard shortboard. I ride it a couple of inches shorter and an inch wider than my shortboard with 10% more volumeand large AM side-fins and a medium AM centre. Being a back-footed surfer, it suits me in that it feels like the wide-point is towards the back of centre.

In Europe, I use it primarily as a semi-groveller - between my dom and shortboard and in Australia, it'll do me down until it's unsurfable and up until I need a shortboard.

With it getting a bit battered over the years, I'm tempted to try a Hashtag with the same volume but reckon when it comes down to replacing it, it'll be pretty hard not to order a new Futura.

For reference, I'm lucky enough to surf every day there's waves and am 6'2"/ 75kg and ride the 6'0" Futura and a 6'2" x 18 3/4 x 2 3/8 and c.28.5L shorty.

Comment

• aurfalien
        aurfalien commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, mine is very similar @5'10" as I'm a bit less then you in stats. Its funny though, I'm trying to give mine away and can't find any takers.
    Working...
    X