Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goanna View Post
    Hey Hedonist,
    I don't really see any difference in wave catching between these two boards.
    As far as the difference, yes the Elf was a pocket rocket meaning I could whip it into tight little turns - something you are probably enjoying now! It also feels like it gets up and goes a lot quicker due to its twitchiness
    The longer Futura does draw turns out more but covers the small waves that the Elf did and takes me into larger surf with a lot more confidence than the Elf - I mainly swapped over for this reason.
    Now here's the clincher which I discovered after buying this board - stability, stability, stability. Yes the Elf was a little easier to "whip around" in a tighter radius but the Futura has me making a hell of a lot more manoeuvres *
    This was all at 85-95kg of weight

* Disclaimer: This person may have grandeur perceptions of his actual surfing ability but hey he's loving his surfing anyway!
    Thanks Goanna
    Great info from you answers all my questions. so good to get this feedback makes it easier to decide which one next
    Have you ridden one of your mates hellfires. couple of my mates have hellfires love them . Futura or hellfire? decisions. in the meantime absolutely frothing over the elf. im 52 been surfing for 40 years and definitely one of the funnest boards ive owned.Did you ever use pc5 in the elf how did it go.nearly always ride as a thruster pc7 with smaller centre fin sf4 or similar. have tried as a quad with sf4 all round didnt have any drive swapped the fronts for pc7 left sf4 rears that was heaps better.Cheers.

Comment

stoked goanna.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by hedonist View Post
        Thanks Goanna
        Great info from you answers all my questions. so good to get this feedback makes it easier to decide which one next
        Have you ridden one of your mates hellfires. couple of my mates have hellfires love them . Futura or hellfire? decisions. in the meantime absolutely frothing over the elf. im 52 been surfing for 40 years and definitely one of the funnest boards ive owned.Did you ever use pc5 in the elf how did it go.nearly always ride as a thruster pc7 with smaller centre fin sf4 or similar. have tried as a quad with sf4 all round didnt have any drive swapped the fronts for pc7 left sf4 rears that was heaps better.Cheers.
        Tried the PC7 thruster set and the stretch quad set. I settled on the PC7 thruster and didn't try anything else because I honestly couldn't see another set go as good as these - the board and fin combo blew my mind! As a quad I liked it but didn't love it - kept coming back to the thrusters

I have not tried the mates hellfire’s for a very good reason - Imagine what would happen if I liked that board as well!!!
        My head would explode as I'm already heavily addicted to Firewire - I would just be questioning my quiver too much.
        I will upgrade in a few months though as I'm now lighter - I'll test ride at decision time for sure but will probably stick with the Futura / Jacknife

Comment

Originally posted by Goanna View Post
          Tried the PC7 thruster set and the stretch quad set. I settled on the PC7 thruster and didn't try anything else because I honestly couldn't see another set go as good as these - the board and fin combo blew my mind! As a quad I liked it but didn't love it - kept coming back to the thrusters

I have not tried the mates hellfire’s for a very good reason - Imagine what would happen if I liked that board as well!!!
          My head would explode as I'm already heavily addicted to Firewire - I would just be questioning my quiver too much.
          I will upgrade in a few months though as I'm now lighter - I'll test ride at decision time for sure but will probably stick with the Futura / Jacknife
          Cheers goanna
          thanks for the info
          P.S. I dont want to make your head explode but a mate rides a 6 2 lost/firewire everywhere even double ohead Gland and he rips it great boards

Comment

Cheers goanna
            thanks for the info
            P.S. I dont want to make your head explode but a mate rides a 6 2 lost/firewire everywhere even double ohead Gland and he rips it great boards
            Sorry i forgot to say the 6 2 is a lost stealth

Comment

Sorry i forgot to say the 6 2 is a lost stealth
              It's funny you should say that as the PU Lost Rocket (which I'm pretty sure is the same shape as the Stealth) is the reason I am now on Firewire. I got one a few Christmas holidays ago and the deck ended up in poor condition only after about 10-15 surfs - this is nothing against the integrity of the board / company - it was just glassed too light for my heavy foot! The shop offered to sell it for me and offered me a dominator as a demo. I told him not to bother as I wouldn't pay that much for a board - he said "what else have you got to ride and what else have you got to lose?" - couldn't argue with that - the moment I caught my first 2ft wave on that dominator (at 41yrs and 95kg's) I felt like I had officially just got back 10 years of surfing and the rest they say.....is history!

Comment

Nice, Great post!

That is a great story as I remember my friend telling me about Firewire surfboards and I thought they had wires in them. I could not figure out for the life of me what this Firewire thing was about. I could not believe some of my friends would pay that much for a board just like you. Then I tried a 6'2" Futura, and like you Goanna, the rest was history. Been surfing them ever since.

Comment

Working...
                X