X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey all,

Just wanted to check back and offer up my impressions of the # after a few sessions in the water.
    I have a 5'10" and I've ridden it as a thruster and quad (reactor tri-fin set up, tri sides and small FCS quad rears- can't recall what they are right now).

I got to ride both beach and point breaks over the last week, in a wide range of conditions from mushy, mellow rollers to fast, critical barrels. This board did everything I asked it to do with ease. Personally I was looking for an 'all-around' short board to compliment my summer fishes and winter step-ups, and the # delivered.

First off, paddling. Wow, I'm super impressed with how effortlessly this thing paddles, even though I've packed on some winter weight and am rocking a 6mil. At the end of the day, it's no long board, but for comparative short boards, this thing moves very well. I don't want to say that the entry rocker makes getting into waves super easy, but for a performance hybrid, it's easy enough to feel effortless most of the time.

I've been ridding a bigger board this winter and I'm used to having to really lean into my turns/carves. I made this mistake the first time i went to do a cutty and the # whipped me right off due to my error in judgement. Once I realized how sharp you can turn this thing, it was easy to move it up/down the face, and go vertical toward the lip. The rail-to-rail transition of the # is very impressive. and the overall speed you can generate enabled me to make some critical sections that i was dubious about at first.

As a thruster- the # really pins turns. It changes direction very fast (and I have to admit- I got thrown off a few turns, as I just wasn't prepared). Once I adjusted, vertical snaps became nearly telepathic. The volume this board carries in the middle of the board seems to really help float. You guys all know what a good thruster feels like, and I'm sure you have your fav. set of fins. I think that anything will work well with this board.

As a quad- I threw my quad rears in after taking a break from a morning barrel sesh at a sand point near my house. The wind was going a bit south and giving the waves some bump/texture. The last FireWire quad i rode (and subsequently sold) was extremely fast but very, very stiff. This was the total opposite. The # still snapped through turns and felt very stable on longer carves. Drive and hold were excellent. The waves weren't that big (maybe 4ft+ on a good set) but they had to push to them. I was supremely satisfied with the way the # felt as a quad.

At this point I'm very impressed as all of my expectations have been exceeded. This board will offer an inter/adv. surfer a great go-to option for most days. I haven't ridden it in mush, or pulsing swell, but honestly, i have other boards for those times. I certainly fall more toward the intermediate end of the spectrum and i know this board is capable of more than i can do at this point. However, it is 'friendly' enough that it gives me confidence to push my surfing, without the potential drawbacks associated with super Hi-Po potato chips. I'd have to give the # a 9/10.

Comment

• Josh BL
      Josh BL commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the great review Lost_in_NJ. I like the rating too!

Sweet report 'Lost in NJ'. Can I ask your height and weight?
    I am currently riding a 5'10 thin Bourez and am looking at a Hashtag in a 5'9 for when the waves are not quite great.

Comment

Hey Stooop,

I was also debating a 5'9" but my need for a board that would float me in the winter with a thick suit led me to a 5'10".
      I'm 5'5" at 155lbs. I've been a hockey player my whole life, so i carry a lot of weight in my legs lol. I was worried that this board would be too floaty and feel bloated, but it honestly does not. I feels as sharp and fast as 5'8" and 5'10" pure performance short boards I've owned in the past (Sharp Eye and Lost HiPo boards).

Depending on your height/weight, I think the way the # carries it's overall volume could be a good board for what you're looking for!

Comment

Thanks for the info 'Lost'. I am 5'11 and 152pounds without a suit. I would ride the Hashtag in the stomach to head range.
        I currently have a 5'8 Chedda which is a litre more volume than my Bourez but feels to short. I am looking at something a little longer without to much more volume.
        Can I ask what other boards you ride?

Comment

Hey stoop whats the volumes of your bourez and chubby? Im about the same weight as you still riding my 509 chubby in just about everything i think its over volumed as i swapped in nthe water with my mate for his 5'7 JS board which was WAY less volume and i was still getting into waves on that...

Il probably keep the CC for a small wave ripper but am just trying to figure out the right size for a good wave board, something for when the waves are hollow and heavy from around head high to whatever i might encounter...

Im 5'8 and about 150lbs intermediate but fit and get to surf quite a lot, keen to progress. Still very attracted to trying a VG/vader at some point but thinking about bourez, HZ, HZII etc... Id quite like the 5 fin boxes option to experiment with quads etc, am leaning towards the HZII...

Other options include a complete quiver rethink... Il get a 501 BP at some point then was thinking maybe a MD and a HZII... OR get one of the tomos and build from there depending on how well it goes in different conditions...

Comment

Hi Nelson,
            My Bourez is 5'10 at 25.8litres, and the chubby is 5'8 at 26.8 litres. Keep in mind that I live down the bottom of Victoria, so during the winter months a 4/3 suit plus booty's. I think my issue is more length than volume, I am almost 6'0 and have pretty long limbs and a short body. Even though the Bourez is 1litre less, the fact that it is longer means my feet are more in the sweet spot.
            For example I could ride a 5'0 sweet potato according to volume, BUT I think that because I am quite tall for my weight my front foot would be right up on the nose.

I have never ridden any Tomo boards so I cant give any thoughts there. I have heard they ride very different though. I always overthink shit way to much lol, personally I would either want all traditional boards or all tomo boards. I wouldn't want to jump from one to the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoop-a-loop View Post
              Thanks for the info 'Lost'. I am 5'11 and 152pounds without a suit. I would ride the Hashtag in the stomach to head range.
              I currently have a 5'8 Chedda which is a litre more volume than my Bourez but feels to short. I am looking at something a little longer without to much more volume.
              Can I ask what other boards you ride?
              Hey Stoop-
              I ride a bunch of different boards, but my favorites are my 5'8" Kaos fish, 6'5" Byrne, and 5'10" Lost SDII (which is now in 2 pieces, RIP). I sold a few 'standard' short boards to pick up the #.

I love riding single and twin-fin retro boards tho. One of which will likely be my next purchase. I think they really help dial in some 'smoothness' and 'flow' to your style IMO.
              My buddy ordered a 6'0 # and he's nearly your exact dimensions-he loves the board. d Honestly tho dude, just pull the trigger and get a #, you won't regret it!s

Comment

my question is about the deck...i demoed a UB and thought the deck felt a little domed...i prefer a flatter deck. the UB and # seem like they cover the same scope of waves...the # being a little more perfomance based. can anyone who has ridden both comment on this at all?

Comment

• Phill
                  Phill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I haven't ridden the # but it has the same domed deck. It's more refined all round with a high performance rocker and is narrower and longer for the same volume range. It's aimed at bigger and better waves than the UB.

Rode my 6-0 hashtag for the first time today. Waves were less than stellar at about waist to chest high. That didn't stop me from connecting with the board though. The # felt like a high performance board. It paddled fairly well and caught waves more easily than I expected but thats where the hybrid label ends. I agree with the above review on how fast this board changes direction. rail to rail surfing is a blast, cutbacks are effortless and that lip won't even see you coming. I ride a 5-5 baked which transitions nicely to a 5-10 spitfire and the hashtag feels like it transitions perfectly from there. I was surprised at how far up the board the double concave goes. The rails are super sharp, the step down rail is quite aggressive and the board just looks and feels fast. Overall I think this is a future classic for firewire. Every one should look at this board as an option when considering a step up from the spitfire.

Comment

• piggo
                  piggo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I took possession of a 6'4" Hashtag last week and have had 3x surfs on it in medium/small beachies on the south coast of WA. Biggest waves so far 1.5 head high. When I first paddled it out it seemed like a skinny banana compared to the 6'4" board I've been riding prior (almost 2L more vol and 1"inch wider). I was a little worried that I'd struggle to catch waves easily and generate speed on the smaller ones. I was very wrong. The #tag picked up the waves really early and just took off - no need to wrestle it around trying to generate speed. It drove, it turned on a dime, it flashed across floater sections, it bit and carved and just keep speeding. It felt light and fast and I felt as though I could do anything I wanted on it. I just couldn't get enough of it. It is seriously the best feeling board I've ridden for decades - I'm so happy :) Can't wait for our next surf!!
                  A member named Coastandtoast said "~~Not enough being said about this board on forums or online. Nev knocked it out of the park and people are missing it." I couldn't agree more Coast...

Other Firewires I own or have owned are Alternator (6'4 older low vol model), Bourez (6'4 - we were never friends!), Hellfire (6'4), Hellrazor (6'7), Mini Driver (6'4), V4 (6'6 - keeper for 2xOH!) and Pile Driver (6'4)... none of these boards compare (for my tastes and requirements) to the Hashtag.
                  If you have been thinking about one I couldn't recommend one more heartily :)
                  I'm 52 and weigh around 90kg.

Hey coast great review what fins on #. Just got my 6'0 but have'nt had the chance to get it in the water yet,the board looks fast!!!

Comment

• Coastandtoast
                  Coastandtoast commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So far i tried wct tech flex. These fins I have found have little drive so not the best for the day I took it out I will most likely use them in bigger faster surf. I have the clay marzo 5 fin set (which is a great all rounder fin) in my spitfire as a thruster so I want to try those and if it gets sectiony i would throw in the solus as a thruster setup or the rasta quads which turn my baked potato into a speed boat. as i try each fin out I will review. Surf is getting summer small now so probably will be riding my spit or baked for a while.
                  Last edited by Coastandtoast; 05-06-2014, 09:05 PM.

The more i ride this board the more I love it. Had it out in fat shoulder high waves that would get steep and punchy in the knee deep sections. Rode it with the Marzo thruster set. So responsive. When you lay into the rail this thing slingshots you up the face. This board is fast.....really really fast. I really like my firewire boards especially the spitfire but the hashtag is the board I have been looking for for a long time. It makes mediocre waves memorable. I don't get to surf great waves often so a full on performance board is out of the question but this thing surfs like a high performance board in that it takes late drops easily and allows tight arcs and quick rail to rail work and has tons of drive. Don't know what else to say it just plain kicks a$$! Not enough being said about this board on forums or online. Nev knocked it out of the park and people are missing it.

Comment

Hey coast, have you tried the # in overhead waves. I haven't had the chance to try my 6,0 yet but we got some solid waves coming our way tomorrow!!!!

Comment

• Coastandtoast
                    Coastandtoast commented
                    Editing a comment
                    unfortunately not overhead yet but head high yes. I did get one barrel on it and it held beautiful in a tight tube. Managed to come out of it making it a first for me. To top it off my buddy was paddling out and it spit me out right in front of him and I got the woop woop from him so you gotta love that. Board is a keeper for sure.

any talk of this model coming out in timbertek?

Comment

Tried my # today in 6-8 ft reef and woooow loved the boards performance, great paddler, sooo fast and very responsive. Its a keeper!! Nev was spot on with this board & great job Firewire best boards ever.

Comment

yeww stoked cucuson! glad it is a keeper for you

Comment

Working...
                      X