Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellfire 6'0" or 6'2"?

Hi guys,
    Last year I felt the need to change my board to a wider, with more volume board (I was using a normal shape 6'2" shortboard and my gained weight (176 pounds) and poor shape were not helping, I was 37), so I heard about the dominator and came here to the forum, learned about it and bought one, a 6'0" with the FCS Stretch quad you guys recommended. I was stocked with it, best gift I ever gave myself. Never have I evolved so much in surfing. Used it the whole winter (we had a great winter here in Portugal), spring and this year's summer, almost on a daily basis. The thing is, when the waves were bigger and hollower (from 5-6 feet), the board seemed to drift a lot on the tail, it was bit difficult to have control of it. So, now I'm in a much better shape, I'm a much better surfer (thanks to the dominator), I would like to trade it for a not too different board but one that could handle bigger, hollower waves and with a bit more performance and maintaining almost the same paddle power. I was thinking about the hellfire, perhaps the 6'2" or the 6'0". I'm now turning 38 years old, 6'1" tall, weight 176 pounds and have been surfing for 10 years, about 4 times a week, all year long. You're more than welcome to propose even other models or sizes, as long as they are FireWire, the absence of dings on this one with the usage I gave it amazed me, it still looks new! Thanks and good waves!

6'0" max. You could easily be on the 510 I reckon.
    Depends on how the volume of the dominator feels though.

Comment

Hi prjwebb,
      The volume of the board feels great, exept, perhaps for too much volume in the tail in the situations I referred.
      Thanks

Comment

i would go with the 600 HF then. it still carries plenty of volume and I'd worry that if you went with the 602 that would feel a little chunky in good waves also.

Comment

Thanks prjwebb!
          So, you think the hellfire would be a good option?

Comment

Yeah I think it'll be perfect for what you're looking for!

Comment

Great prjwebb, thanks again!
              I'll be back with some feedback! Hopefully soon.

Comment

I would go 600 hellfire or you might consider the 603 hellrazor. I think hellrazor may be better option if you want it for bigger waves.

Comment

You think? A lot of feedback suggests that the HF is better suited to bigger waves. As you have both you probably have a good feel for them!

Comment

yeah there is a bit of a debate as to which is better, but I think it comes down to the surfer. I personally like the Hellrazor because its thinner and I feel I have better control, but man, you can really push the hellfire into bigger waves due to the rocker, bottom contour and volume. They do ride quite differently though....

Cheers

Comment

Yup for me definitely Hellrazor in bigger waves. To me it feels so much more in control and predictable in high speed turns, it just seems to do exactly what you want it to. I must qualify this and say that this is based on 6'1 Hellrazor as I'm yet to ride the new 6'3. So that means I'm comparing 6'1 razor with 6'0 fire and the fire has quite a bit more volume. I do love the Hellfire it's fast and responsive but just feel like the Hellrazor is more controllable which will be better in bigger waves.

Comment

Thanks guys! I need a board for bigger (6 feet tops) but mostly 3 feet and mushy, so I wanted a board that would feel right in all situations (except real big surf), I know it's difficult but maybe the hellfire would be the next step, right? Thank you so much for your opinions!

Comment

Yeah based on that criteria I definitely recommend the 6'0 Hellfire. It has plenty of float for the mushy 3 footers and will catch waves easy. 6'2 will be too big in my opinion and won't go as well in the bigger waves.

Comment

Working...
                          X