X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellfire 6'2 or 6'4

Chris or anyone else that could advise, got a 6'4 x 19.5 x 2.5 hybrid thruster but had it shaped when I was fit and a lean 5'11 and 88 kgs now with the new adage of parenthood and limitations on training and surfing I'm a comfortable 98kgs. I surf mainly south Wales (uk) , Cornwall and often head over to France & Portugal. Been looking at the 6'0 Dom but liked the features of the hellfire as it would be my main board. Spoke to a couple of mates in local shops and as they know me and my ability they recommended the 6'2 hellfire I'm feeling the 6'4 for the paddle benefit in weaker swell and also to get me in slightly earlier on heavier beach breaks which is where I'm struggling at the moment on current board, a bit more float would make a difference but without hampering performance. Any advice or experience would be welcomed, trying to track down a test board when I'm down Cornwall . Cheers

Hmm toughy. Do you see the wait dropping back off once you're getting back in the water more often?

Comment

With a little focus and concerted effort to avoid pies pasties and cakes I'll get back to Fighting weight of about 89 kgs it's my fitness level I had previously that I will struggle to return to and getting in the water has and probably will be infrequent swimming pool is the nearest thing to maintain paddle fitness.

Comment

I reckon the 604 would be the safer bet but maybe have a feel of the two and if the 602 screams out then by all means follow your gut instinct!

Comment

Will do. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated .

Comment

No worries. I'm sure there will be a bunch more input from others shortly to balance opinions out a little. I'd even go as far to say the 606 could be worth considering, but it really depends on your surfing level and volume preferences.

Comment

I reckon the 6'2" will be way too small at an unfit 98kg, and I reckon 6'4" is probably too small too.

This is how I see it - I reckon at 98kg you probably need the 6'6" Hellfire. Indeed, if it was me at that weight at that fitness I'd go a 6'8". I was out of the water for 2 years with a sequence of medical problems and indulged my chocolate bisciut habit heavily in that period. I blew out from around 85kg to close enough to 100kg (probably 98kg). As I was getting back into the water I bought a 6'8" Alternator, which was just a tad longer, wider and thicker than I had been surfing before. Sometimes it went great. But most of the time in those early days it was too thin, I had difficulty paddling it, and I needed to be position "just so" to get good waves. If i was a fit 98kg it would have been different. or if I was an unfit 92kg it would have been different. But an unfit 98kg the board was undervolumed. So I reckon 6'6" or 6'8" Hellfire for now.

Obiously as the weight comes off that board will become overvolumed for you. Probably you'd ultimately look at the 6'2" to 6'4", with the 6'2" probably being the "go" at 88kg but either would work.

So I reckon you should plan to buy one board for now, and expect to replace it as the weight comes off. Sorry, but I reckon if you try to surf a board considerably undervolumed you'll just not enjoy your surfing. better to pay an extra few hundred dollars or pounds or whatever and enjoy the experience.

The guy who shapes/shaped my normal boards always says to buy a board for the weight you are, not the weight you plan to be, and I think he's right.

Comment

Like PRJ says if you are going to get the weight off go with the 6'2". I came from about that weight after surgery, bought a 6'0 dom and then a 6'2 hellfire. When I bought the hellfire I was probably at about 95kg and it was ok. I'm now down to 90kg doesn't really seem to be much difference feels like plenty of float.

I reckon buy a 6'0 spitfire and a 6'2 hellfire! The spit (or a dom) will help catch plenty of waves and get you fitter fairly quickly for the hellfire. But if the treasurer is only going to fund one purchase then make it the 6'2 hellfire.

Comment

Selling a 6'2 HF FST w/ Futures. Mint. Let me know if youre interested. I live in San Diego

Comment

SDsurf, send me a private message as I am interested.

Thanks,

Brent

Comment

Did my buddy get a hold of you?

Comment

I really don't know about a 6'2" to 6'4" for a 98kg bloke. Maybe you rip. on those size boards you'd be riding almost the exact same volume per litre as to top pros. And you're unfit. And they aren't.

Maybe I'm wrong and the advice from others is definitely at odds with mine, which suggests that's the case, but I'd just second guess those sizes. What does the volume calculator put a 98kg unfit intermediate on?

Comment

Yeah, that's why I said at his current weight the 606 is definitely worth considering, but if the weight drops off the 604 or even 602 are going to be a better fit.
                          Isn't core riding a 510 at 90kg or something haha?

Comment

Working...
                          X