X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellfire Dilemma 5'10 or 6'0

Hi, looking for some advice on a nice dilemma.

Having settled the mind on a Hellfire, not hard considering so much positive feedback on muiltiple blogs and the you tube vids. I don't whether to go for the 5'10 or 6'0.

I pretty much surf 3 time a week on average weather and kids permitting, waves are often fairly fat but we get plenty of steep hollow low tide days too. I am missing that magic board for the 3 to 6ft (my max probably, maybe bigger at the odd point break). I love my fishes for their volume, ease of paddle and number of waves they allow me to catch. The problem occurs when it gets hollow, I lose hold on take off and in the pocket. I am pretty fit for my age but by no means a triathlete, my head say 6'0 because I don't want to lose volume, paddle ability and wave count....but my heart says 5'10. The other reason I am thinking 6'0 is type of waves i want this for and to help my take that next step in terms performance (tighter turns, actual barrels etc) but dont want to replace the fishes because I enjoy mixing it up (although I get the feeling the hellfire might change this). Any advice would be appreciated!

510 for sure!

Comment

Thanks and That's what I left the shop thinking, volume is pretty much the same as the super fish which is my current go to board. Although my idea is to compliment not replace, that said if it does it does. On the flip side I am thinking the added volume on the 6'0 will help getting into larger steeper waves earlier, which is my real intention but open minded but equally I don't want a proper big wave board..... I am sure I over thinking this but want to get the first Firewire right.

Comment

I'm around your size and am borderline considering the 508, but I think I'd have to go with the 510. I was going a little repair on my friends 600 and it's a lot of board. I think it would feel too buoyant and would hold you back more than benefit you at 75kg. I reckon the 510 would be spot on, but you have got to go with what feels right for yourself over guidance from others really.

Comment

Thanks, my local stockist doesn't have a tester in the HF only the DOM. So I am kind making a call based on feel alone, but that is what told me to go 5'10.

Comment

I reckon 5'10" would be ideal.

Comment

5'10" as well

Comment

Thanks guys, it's unanimous. Iggy, you are on the 6'0, how do you find that?

Comment

Shabba! 5'10 FST Hellfire under ownership......booooooommmmmm...feel like a grom again!

Comment

Stoked! I've been getting tempted by a second hand 510 that's for sale locally but I've got a Mini Driver to pay for in the next week or two so can't justify it really...
                    Let us know how you get on with it!

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                      Stoked! I've been getting tempted by a second hand 510 that's for sale locally but I've got a Mini Driver to pay for in the next week or two so can't justify it really...
                      Let us know how you get on with it!
                      You getting the 5'10 Mini Driver
                      It will probably be flat for a month after when you pick it up
                      The new board curse
                      Hopefully not though
                      because I'd be looking forward to reading a review

Comment

Yeah 510.
                        Shouldn't be flat, September/October are pretty much the prime months here, and if the waves such I'm buggering off to France for a few weeks with the MD, CBD and SP :D

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Pear View Post
                          Thanks guys, it's unanimous. Iggy, you are on the 6'0, how do you find that?
                          A bit too much foam on summer... on winter things change though...
                          I actually got that board for when things get a bit better and that is usually between fall and spring (we are talking about 6/5/4 suits,7mm boots and 5mm gloves in the dead of winter)

Comment

First surf report...uunnnnbeeeeeerrrrrrbllllieeeevable!

Thanks again guys, I really annoyed the fellas in the shop trying to decide between the two sizes but went with consensus.

After my first surf in small howling offshore slutsborough waves yesterday (on my wedding anniversary too, that was a real pressy from the wife!) I am sooooooooooooo stoked.....board felt amazing, paddled soooooooo easy and was quick a f**k. I made two lush turns (felt like a tail hack probably looked like a waft)....it is obviously a lot looser even in quad set up than my fishes so I need to learn to surf it, which is exactly what I wanted......sooooooooo excited for September swells.

Iggy, I was thinking bigger for the winter swells but even in that thickness suit I reckon for me I wanted to push the fitness to cope....kind of again what I wanted.....

Comment

im 83 kg and surfed a 5 10 hellfire at crap waves at croyde ...the board went like shit off a stick!!..im 39 years old with moobs and a beer gut like jimmy five bellies and could not belive how good the 5.10 was...was thinking of a 6.2 but would deffo go 5 10 ....fog on the tyne is alllllllll mine!!
                              6'0 fat burner 6'1 gulfstream fastback 6'4 simon anderson interceptor 6'6 lsd step up 6'8 gulfstream pintail indo gun!! soon to be the owner of a hellfire!
                              Last edited by geordieindevon; 08-28-2012, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X