X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellfire for off season lembongan

Hey everyone. Great forum. It has been really helpful in narrowing down my board decision, but still need some help.

My goto board at the moment is a 5'6 sweetpotato rf, which i love. I also have an old 6'3 al merrick A6 which I pull out when the waves get a bit punchy for the potato.

I am looking at the hellfire to take to indo (nusa lembongan) in November and to use at home in southern Portugal on the more powerful / steeper / hollower days.

Do you think this is a good board for this purpose?

What size would you recommend? I am 6'2 , 84kgs, probably intermediate level.

Thanks. Any advise welcomed.

I'd say it's a good pick if you're looking to ride a shorter board in good waves.
    I'd say the 6'0" is a safe pick, but if you like to ride low volumes you could push for the 5'10".

Comment

Thanks prjwebb. The volume calculator recommends 33letres min, which is the 6'2 range. Do you think the calculator overestimates? I see you ride a spitfire, whats it like in powerful steeper waves? Would that be a good option for me?

Comment

i think the 6'0 HF would be ample volume to be honest.
        The Spitfire is a little beauty when the waves aren't too hollow but once it gets sucky and hollow it starts to feel a little short, flat and wide.
        Dave (corepersonaltraining on the forum) is around 90kg and riding a 510 HF so I wouldn't go bigger than the 6'0, but I do think the HF will sit perfectly in between your Potato and CI.

Comment

Perfect, thanks. I was thinking the 6 initially but the figures from the volume calulator changed my mind. My heart wants the 6 so maybe that's what I will get.

Comment

Yep, go with 6'0 I ride a 6'2 and I'm 90kg and it has tonnes of buoyancy, if money were no object I'd probably buy a 6'0 HF as well.

The volume calculator, in it's current form, where it takes age into account, seems to over-estimate the required volume, particularly if you put 30+ in for age. I've found 0.36 to 0.38L/kg has worked for me pretty much for as long as I can recall or knew anything about volume.

Comment

I tend to prefer a range of 0.39 to 0.44 or so litres per kg. The 0.44 or so for small waves and when I'm getting back into the water after a period out, and around 0.40 when I'm fit and surfing well. Maybe I could go less but I like junk in the trunk.

We all suffer confirmation bias, right, but SW in an article on the prospects of Mick and Joel in this year's tour featured comment from Barton Lynch. BL said that he felt there was value in both of them adding volume to their boards. I know Mick has through Mayhem/Lost - I'm not sure if Parko has done so. I remember commentary from the Margaret River Pro had the commentary team suggesting Occy was showing the tour the value of a bit more volume in their boards.

This isn't to sugegst by the way that surfing lower volume isn't cool. Whatever works for you is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
                Yep, go with 6'0 I ride a 6'2 and I'm 90kg and it has tonnes of buoyancy, if money were no object I'd probably buy a 6'0 HF as well.

The volume calculator, in it's current form, where it takes age into account, seems to over-estimate the required volume, particularly if you put 30+ in for age. I've found 0.36 to 0.38L/kg has worked for me pretty much for as long as I can recall or knew anything about volume.
                I agree that the volume calculator seems to over-estimate volume for age, and seems to "forget" the added bouyancy of the FW construction. I was bobbing like a cork on the 45liters (Dom) recommended for me, and couldn't get the board to dig into a wave any more than a child could hold a beach ball underwater. Dropped to the minimum recommended 41 liters, and it's good, but I would say it's the high end of volume for me, not the low. Cost me $650 to make that error.

When I change ability level from my true intermediate to the higher levels, (int/adv or advanced) it comes out right.
                Last edited by Herzalot; 09-03-2012, 06:44 AM. Reason: accuracy

Comment

Hey everyone. Thanks so much for all your help. Board is on the way and the flights are booked to indo. Will let you know how I get on.

Comment

stoked and have a great trip!

great advice folks!

Comment

Hi Hortma,

I'm from Portugal, Aveiro, and I bought a Hellfire to surf at Bali and Lembongan last August, it was a perfect choice for me!
                      I'm 1,90m tall, 80kg, and use a 6'4 HF as I feel more confortable with more volume.

I sure did get great surf at Balian, Balangan, Impossible. Did not have much luck with swell at Lembongan, and only a few waves one morning @ Shipwrecks.

Cheers,
                      Renato

Originally posted by HORTMA View Post
                      Hey everyone. Great forum. It has been really helpful in narrowing down my board decision, but still need some help.

My goto board at the moment is a 5'6 sweetpotato rf, which i love. I also have an old 6'3 al merrick A6 which I pull out when the waves get a bit punchy for the potato.

I am looking at the hellfire to take to indo (nusa lembongan) in November and to use at home in southern Portugal on the more powerful / steeper / hollower days.

Do you think this is a good board for this purpose?

What size would you recommend? I am 6'2 , 84kgs, probably intermediate level.

Thanks. Any advise welcomed.

Comment

November can be a funny month for waves in Indo you might get lucky but chances are you could also get really skunked if you do get waves at Lembongan it's most likely you will be surfing shipwrecks which is a fun all round wave, the hellfire would go great there, though not sure how it would go at lacerations if you were lucky to get A proper swell and good winds, lacerations is more ledgey with a sucky barrel from takeoff to kick out, I'd want a board with more rocker for that wave, but I think you woud be really really lucky to get it on at that time of year anyway.

Comment

I disagree with Indodreaming (sorry mate)..my wifes parents owned the resort on the point there in front of playgrounds so I know the breaks there well. I also own a 6'0 HF which I have recently fallen deeply in love with...I know lacerations very well..having been pitched there and washed up over the reef and seaweed posts a couple of times...that board will "own" that wave no problem assuming you are a reasonably competent surfer...trust in that. I do agree with Indo re the swell in Bali and surrounds in November..I last went there in 2010 in November and got totally skunked. One decent surf at Karamas for the whole 10 days..For a family trip we are going back in late October into early November and while I hope for waves...I am not holding my breath..

Comment

Thats cool...id still prefer my flex fire rather than my hellfire at that wave though, ive had mixed results with my hellfire in those kind of waves, although ive got to say i haven't been back to Nusa Lembongan for about 10 years, to many other places to go in Indo these days, but brings back so many memorys, would have been heaven for the first surfers that found it, such a classic little island with some super fun set ups, only draw back is how tidal it is.

Yes not only is November not very good for swell, but ive also noticed there more often than not tends to be lows that sit off indo around that time of year that just mess up any proper ground swell, i took a gamble last year and hit the Mentawais for a month in Oct-Nov caught the tail end of one good swell then got totally skunked, strong west winds, not stop storms and it wasn't just small but what swell there was, was real short period lumpy pretty much wind swell...oh well.

Comment

Yeah Indo, I was in Bali/ Nusa Lembongan for some of that time. Tail end of a double banger 2 swell event then next to nothing. Back in Lombok and Nusa Lembongan next week, a little earlier in the season so will see how my 6/4 Hellfire handles what I hope will be a little size. A nubster seems to offer a big difference in plus size surf I've found, so should keep the relatively large tail under control--- or there's always Playgrounds!

Comment

Working...
                              X