X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd recommend a 5'6
    Nev recommended me a 5'8 and it feels perfect as a small wave board and waves up to a solid 4ft back
    I'm weighing in at 80 kg
    Looking at where you live you should sus out some Demo boards
    The Hellrazor could also be a good 2nd board option
    Good luck

Comment

First off i want to thank everyone for chiming in and helping me out.

I actually reweighed myself and it turns out i'm actually weigh 150lb (68kg) Not that its a big difference but i poped it into the calculator and it says my range for volume is 24 to 28. As i progress i only imagine that i will require less and less volume. I actually decided against a hellfire and now getting a dom/spitfire (leaning toward dom). The big question now is will a 5'4 be too small, it says it has a volume of 25.7 but i'm 6'0 tall? I know that originally i wanted something that'd get me into waves easier which I hope the 5'4 would do. But i could get a 5'4 dominator for 200 dollars less than a 5'6. My thinking is that 200 dollars saved could go toward another firewire in the future, something a little big bigger for those head high days?

I know the 5'4 will get me in trouble on those bigger days but the extra 200 will save me some money and i'd be able to get something else later on to handle the big stuff. I'd just be shooting myself in the foot until then. If only the 5'6 or 5'8 weren't so expensive =p
      Last edited by mralexchang; 09-16-2012, 12:51 PM.

Comment

At 6ft tall the 504 is going to be too short in the rail in my opinion. I think you'll be constantly bogging the rail without sufficient length to drive through turns. The 506 will feel short even I think.

Comment

Originally posted by mralexchang View Post
          First off i want to thank everyone for chiming in and helping me out.

I actually reweighed myself and it turns out i'm actually weigh 150lb (68kg) Not that its a big difference but i poped it into the calculator and it says my range for volume is 24 to 28. As i progress i only imagine that i will require less and less volume. I actually decided against a hellfire and now getting a dom/spitfire (leaning toward dom). The big question now is will a 5'4 be too small, it says it has a volume of 25.7 but i'm 6'0 tall? I know that originally i wanted something that'd get me into waves easier which I hope the 5'4 would do. But i could get a 5'4 dominator for 200 dollars less than a 5'6. My thinking is that 200 dollars saved could go toward another firewire in the future, something a little big bigger for those head high days?

I know the 5'4 will get me in trouble on those bigger days but the extra 200 will save me some money and i'd be able to get something else later on to handle the big stuff. I'd just be shooting myself in the foot until then. If only the 5'6 or 5'8 weren't so expensive =p
          Too short length wise in my opinion

Comment

I think 5'4" is probably too short. It's not $200 saved if it's $450 wasted. One good board will do for most conditions where we surf from waist to slightly overhead.(assuming you are surfing from San-O Bluffs - Trails - through maybe Salt Creek and everything in between). Sure you can subdivide it into ten boards if you want, but that only leads to existential angst about whether or not you brought the right board, then, the right fins, then the right set-up. Keep it simple. Get a Dom or Spit in 5'6" and ride the hell out of it.

Hmmmm, I just plugged in your numbers in the volume calculator and they are recommending a 5'4" in Spit or Dom. Maybe that is enough. Sounds short to me, but my original advice said it's easy to go too big with a Firewire. Good luck - glad I could help ;-).
            Last edited by Herzalot; 09-16-2012, 05:35 PM. Reason: Volume Calculator

Comment

I think with all the research on the forums and goggle searches i decided on a 5'6 spitfire. I know its going to be a tad small on those head high days but i'm assuming i'll get something to fill that gap on the higher end of the spectrum.

I know any board i get i'll be stoked but i just keep changing my mind and second guessing myself. If i ask for another board recommendation don't give me one! Spitfire 506 FST is my final decision =p.

Comment

Good choice. On steeper days I find the quad and nubster holds in like it's on train tracks but still releases well through turns.

Comment

yeah or just go with a traditional thruster. don't fear the tried and true!!

Comment

I think with all the research on the forums and goggle searches i decided on a 5'6 spitfire. I know its going to be a tad small on those head high days but i'm assuming i'll get something to fill that gap on the higher end of the spectrum.

I know any board i get i'll be stoked but i just keep changing my mind and second guessing myself. If i ask for another board recommendation don't give me one! Spitfire 506 FST is my final decision =p.
                    Cool - sounds great. Now if you are like me, you'll have to stop reading these forums or you will get enveloped in existential angst about all the boards you didn't get. Can I assume you got yours from Killer Dana? Did you order it or do you have it already? If you have it, let's hit Middles, Church or Trails this weekend. Could be a final at Lowers on Saturday (although with the swell predictions, I am guessing they will wrap it up by Thursday or Friday). Looks like it will be 2-3, which is a tad low for both our boards.

Comment

I actually JUST got it tonight. I was going to get it from Jacks Surfboards but they weren't sure when their order would come in, so I called HSS again (i called the previous week said they didn't have it in stock) and they had it. Problem is i have it all waxed up and waiting for me but I won't be able to take it out till Thursday AM =(. I'd be cool to meet up, this weekend I'm going out of town but hopefully next weekend?

Proud owner of a 5'6 spitfire FST!!!!!!

Comment

Can't wait to hear how it rides for you
                        Happy days

Comment

I actually JUST got it tonight....Problem is i have it all waxed up and waiting for me but I won't be able to take it out till Thursday AM =(. Proud owner of a 5'6 spitfire FST!!!!!!
                          Did you see the surf predictions for Thursday morning? Couldn't ask for a better first day. That little pulse will be gone by the weekend. Can't wait to hear your first impressions. Git some!

Comment

Working...
                          X