Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is height ever a factor? Board sizing question

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about getting a 6'0 HF but I'm worried its going to be much board for me. I'm 6'0 155lb (70.3 KG), i'd say i'm average in skill i've been surfing on and on for the past 8 years. I don't really know how to gauge my skill but i don't fall on a wave unless i'm trying something crazy. A couple years ago i got a 5'6 retro fish and i love the extra volume but being so light its a pain in the ass trying to duck dive with it so i normally take my 6'0 potato chip out. I current live in Orange County, Ca so pretty much every wave is a beach break except when i venture down south to trestles or san diego.

I KNOW the 6'0 HF is too much board for me but would it really make a huge difference if i'm not busting my fins of every wave? Does height ever become a factor on a board since there is a "sweet spot" and taller people have wider stances?
    Last edited by mralexchang; 09-13-2012, 03:24 PM.

How come you're looking at going for so much volume when you know it's too much?
    I'd put you on the 5'8". 5'10" at the very most. I think the 5'10" will be perfect for your height, but the 5'8" more suited to your weight.
    Height does play a part, but more stance than anything. You get some tall guys with a knock-kneed little narrow stance, and some shorter guys with a full on, wider, power stance.

If you ride a 6'0" potato chip then a 6'0" HF is going to feel like a boat, in my opinion.

Comment

I should have elaborated that i'm trying to find something super easy to paddle and get into waves early. Also i'm trying to sell off my current quiver as i do not have room for them anymore. I was looking for a single board to take out in any conditions under 7ft. My thoughts were if i go a little bigger it should allow me to ride almost anything?

Comment

In that case I still think the 5'10" would be more than enough! I reckon the 6'0" would feel boaty and a little unresponsive at your weight.

Comment

As PRJ said the 5'8" will be spot on for your weight. The issue arrive with long limbed people when they go too short following weight criteria only without putting too much attention on ability. For what we've read here, you already went on a 5'6" and you sound like a competent surfer, so I would venture on the 5'8"

Comment

Forgot to mention the 5'6 was a retro fish. I'm definately leaning toward the 5'10, I would get the 5'8 if I was a more fit but i'm 27 and only gaining more and more weight! I guess if its a little too floaty for me i could always increase my junkfood diet, and if it doesn't float me as well i could just excercise more =p.

Thanks again for all the quick replies!

Looking forward to joining the firewire family.

Comment

Surf the s$#^t out of it!!! ;)

Comment

After reading about the feedback and videos on youtube I'm wondering if I should get a 5'8 dominator instead. So the new question is: dominator or hellfire?
                Let me recap everything to give the guru's a bigger picture.

About me: 6'0 155 lb 70.3kg (I usually wear a 3/2 since I only dawn patrol at 530am and its cold)

Skill: I'd say intermediate, I'm definitely not a beginner but I'm no pro. Here's the only video/gif I have of me surfing. This was about 1.5 years ago and I haven't really been going that much since then. (please don't make fun of me)
                https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Surf: mainly going to be beach breaks < 7 feet. High and low tide really mess up the waves here in orange county so it could be racy fast sections, or super mushy peaks.

Current boards: 5'6 AKA retro fish it's too much volume but its fun to mess around on (I sold the rest of my boards to get new ____ firewire)

What I want it to do: I want wave count with more short board performance than the fish. I only get to surf before work for maybe 1.5-2 hours so wave count is big. I'd love to get in early, and have a board easy to paddle. I mean i could see myself getting another firewire eventually but at least 9 months +.

1) Should I start with a dominator instead of a hellfire? Nev seems to rave about the hellfire as its a newer refined version of the dominator... does he still ride his dominator?
                2) If I do go dominator should I go 5'8 so I might stand a chance in bigger surf?
                3) Will the hellfire catch as many waves as the dominator?
                4) Any other recommendations?

Again thanks for everyone's input!
                Last edited by mralexchang; 09-15-2012, 12:08 PM.

Comment

The Dominator will handle the smaller mushier waves better but the Hellfire will excel when it's racy and fast.
                  Potentially the Activator, Futura or Jacknife could be the perfect middle ground?

Comment

how does the hell razor fit between?

Comment

HellRazor is aimed for the better end up the spectrum but sounds like it works well in smaller stuff too. I wouldn't expect miracles in junky waves though.
                      Last edited by Phill; 09-16-2012, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mralexchang View Post
                        After reading about the feedback and videos on youtube I'm wondering if I should get a 5'8 dominator instead. So the new question is: dominator or hellfire?
                        Let me recap everything to give the guru's a bigger picture.

About me: 6'0 155 lb 70.3kg (I usually wear a 3/2 since I only dawn patrol at 530am and its cold)

Skill: I'd say intermediate, I'm definitely not a beginner but I'm no pro. Here's the only video/gif I have of me surfing. This was about 1.5 years ago and I haven't really been going that much since then. (please don't make fun of me)
                        https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Surf: mainly going to be beach breaks < 7 feet. High and low tide really mess up the waves here in orange county so it could be racy fast sections, or super mushy peaks.

Current boards: 5'6 AKA retro fish it's too much volume but its fun to mess around on (I sold the rest of my boards to get new ____ firewire)

What I want it to do: I want wave count with more short board performance than the fish. I only get to surf before work for maybe 1.5-2 hours so wave count is big. I'd love to get in early, and have a board easy to paddle. I mean i could see myself getting another firewire eventually but at least 9 months +.

1) Should I start with a dominator instead of a hellfire? Nev seems to rave about the hellfire as its a newer refined version of the dominator... does he still ride his dominator?
                        2) If I do go dominator should I go 5'8 so I might stand a chance in bigger surf?
                        3) Will the hellfire catch as many waves as the dominator?
                        4) Any other recommendations?

Again thanks for everyone's input!
                        At this point I would go Dominator to cover a more ample spectre.5'8" looks about right

Comment

how well would a 5'6 hold up in say head high surf (6ft)? I'm assuming i could just pop some larger fins in?

Comment

Wave count?? 5'8" will be slitghtly better but for sure the 5'6" will hold on to with the appropriate fins

Comment

Mr. Alex...all I can say is it's easy to go too big on a Firewire. the difference between the 606 Dominator and 604 Dominator was night and day for me. I'm 6'4" tall, 210lbs. The 606 Dom was a corky, floaty pig. The 604 allows me to catch a ton of waves, but it actually performs in the wave instead of floating and skipping over the surface. Your photos show a competent, balanced surfer IMO. At your weight, 5'8" max!

I surf the same waves as you - and the Dom seems fine, although I've only had it out four times. Get something (Dom, Hellfire or SF) the right size and love it - don't get mired in what you could've and should've bought.

I have a 606 Dom for sale brand new - 1 surf! Tell your large friends (gotta be about 230lbs I'd say).

Comment

Working...
                              X