Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellfire - Fins for more release?

Hi All,

I love my 6'2" Hellfire for its speed, paddling and ability to handle larger surf. Turning radius and release out of turns, not so much. Currently using UL-7s as a thruster; the drive and hold are great, but my turns are suffering. I am about 195lbs (85kg), so that puts me in the Large fin range. I surf mainly beach and reef breaks in San Diego.

Anyone have any suggestions for fins for better turns?

(part of the problem may be that I also ride a 5'10" Dominator which I absolutely love and flies all over the place!)

Thanks!
    Patrick

Maybe try a 5 in the back, or something like the large Al Merrick template.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
      Maybe try a 5 in the back, or something like the large Al Merrick template.
      Yeah the G-AM (large Al Merrick) have good release you can really snap out of a turn anytime. The AM2 (the next size down in FCS) might work out OK too.The Rusty R2 are a good set too. I've often used a smaller trailer myself to loosen up thruster set ups. I have a 3" trailer that I use with TC Redlines in front and it is a magic set up for some boards. The Al Merrick sets also use a smaller trailer than the front fins.
      Last edited by Slowman; 09-23-2012, 08:05 PM.

Comment

kelly's work in a 602 up here...4 fin set up too...the guy is happy with that...try and keep big fins up front..the board really want em..but before you try anything, stick a deviant in there....FAR OUT .!!!..talk about twitchy speed..!!
        Last edited by core personal training; 09-22-2012, 12:42 AM. Reason: kant spel good

Comment

I agree try GAM(FCS) or AM2(futures) which is the larger Merrick fins. I think Hellfire needs a largish fin but these have the drive and hold but also release when pushed. Tried a few different fins in Fiji reef breaks and these were the standouts for sure.

Comment

The R2 quad set is amazing too, good drive, controllable slide and release.

Comment

The Joel Parkinson Kinetic Racing fins are a looser fin on the larger side. Also, the K3 is a good medium large fin.

For myself I find the GAM and PC7 fairly similar, with the GAM maybe more rounded and maybe more release, but I'm able to "jam" turns on the PC7 better. As I say though I really don't notice much difference through my unskilled and uneducated feet.

Comment

what do you weigh?? patrick and what conditions are you surfing the fin in?

I am inclined to say that th7 template is too big for you and that board and likely you would find a good change just by stepping down in fin area to the PC5s or the Jw-1s. Basically you want to reduce area and perhaps narrow the tip of the fin, or get after something a little more upright...

Cheers and hope this helps!

Comment

I have been riding my Hellfire for a few months now and have been using the WCT's but been having problems with my tail sliding out a lot and felt like I had to nurse my turns a bit. After reading the forums and found somewhere Nev recommended the SA3 or SA4 with the Hellfire. I knew right then if he recommended it then that was the right fins for the board and sure enough I bought the SA4 put them in this past weekend when the South Shore of Honolulu was firing 5-7 foot faces. They worked like magic the board felt awesome I felt like I had a lot drive and I could lay into my turns with no tail sliding at all. Would highly recommend them. For reference I'm 5'8 175 and I ride 5'8 Hellfire.

Bye the way I'm very appreciative of this forum. Thanks for everyone's input.

Comment

hkb93....yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew...great to hear.... you've gotta try it with the thruster rear...turns the board into an extension of your feet..!!.. i only use the four's when i'm bored...sa3's in everything from 1 foot to whatever you can handle...

Comment

Thanks for the tip. Will look for the rear fin. Amazing what a difference those things make. My Hellfire feels like a totally different board. I love experimenting with new fins! Though its an expensive habit.

Comment

it totally does.

Comment

let us know how the thruster goes for you..remember to be more active rail to rail with three in there...your only light so try a deviant rear on smaller days...

Comment

Working...
                          X