Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Looking for a board for bigger surf to complement the Potatonator Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a board for bigger surf to complement the Potatonator

Thinking the hellfire / altenator / hellrazor - anyone got ideas? Im plan to get rid of the Spitfire as I dont like having too many boards to choose from.

I'd say if you want to ride a shorter board, non conventional board in bigger stuff go for the Hellfire. If you want a trusty shortboard, go Alternator and if you want to go a touch shorter and have that extra width, go Hellrazor.

I think the round tailed Alternator looks like a great pick though!

Comment

I have ridden my brother's 6'6 alternator and it feels good, lots of control and smooth turns, nice and predictable in double overhead. Its drawback is that it feels a little stiff - I think its the length as much as any other aspect of the board. My worry in relation to the 6'4 Hellfire is that it would feel a bit squirely in heavy powerful surf when you have a lot of water moving around - this is my main issue with the spitfire in that surf - its just out of control. But its supposed it be more refined than the spit. Hard to guess really.

Comment

HellRazor could be the happy medium?

Comment

Im leaning towards a 6'4 with plenty of volume so the Hellfire and the Lost Mini Driver look appealing - I feel they'll work better in the headhigh region better than a 6'6 alternator.

Comment

Plus more fin options!

Comment

I've ridden my HF in double overhead and so long as the waves are hollowish and not fat and lumpy it goes extremely well. I'm your weight and riding a 6'2.

Comment

I love my alternator and if I was buying today I'd get a 6'6".

Comment

Hi Buzzy - Im looking at a 6'6 alternator today - depends whether the price is right I guess.

Comment

I'm sure with some fin experimentation you can find a set that will make the Alt looser.
                    Last edited by Slowman; 10-02-2012, 11:25 PM.

Comment

had an alternator... like razor a lot more.. just feels better

Comment

razor has more exit rocker and a continuous curve through the tail while the alternator has a bump and is a little flatter. This makes the Alt a bit better in softer waves, while the Hellrazor feels a bit more precise and sharp in steeper surf.

Cheers!

Comment

And would the hellfire be better in flatter waves than the alt? And less precise in the hollow than the razor? I can't decide which is more me the razor or fire.

Comment

Had the 6 6 alt and now own the 6 4 hf. I felt comfortable on the alt right away and surfed well. Had a great session on it during hurricane earl in 2010. Solid head to maybe a foot overhead. Soft long lines. Broke it that dec and picked up the hf the next summer. IMO the hf is much looser and faster. I struggled with this at first. During hurricane Leslie this sept It finally felt right under my feet. I actually surfed it well in some waist to stomach waves. Both go great in big waves. Hf def paddles better and handles pumping beach break waves we get here in nj.

Comment

Decided I to go higher end performance without going all out on the razor - welcome the 6'6 FST Alternator - arrives later this week - in time for the october / november swells to start pumping

Comment

Working...
                              X