Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellfire or Mini-Driver?

Hi,
    I am looking for a step up board from an Al Merrick Pod 6',2.5,20.5 (34L). Could probably go the 5'10" but as an older surfer the 6' catches waves easily for me although I probably lose out on performance. (I'm 54 and 77kg) It is only 12 months old with lumps and bumps all over it. Hence, I am keen to buy a board that hopefully will look better after 12 months at least. The Pod handles waves for me from 1-4' but am looking for a board from 3-6' before I go for a more performance board or ultimately a 2 board quiver. I surf mostly reef breaks around Torquay, Australia. Am thinking of the Hellfire or Mini-driver. The MD volumes for 6' look too small and the 6'2 too big?????, whereas the Hellfire volumes for 6' and 6'2" are closer together. Any thoughts on which board and size would be appreciated.

I've only got limited experience with my MD and not a whole lot with a Hellfire, but from what I've had on my MD I reckon it'd be a real fun board for Bell's and Winki. The rounded tail holds in real well and would dry a nice line on those open walls. It kind of surfs a little longer than it is. It'd also handle hollow stuff well.
    I think the Hellfire would feel a little looser and more snappy but I'll leave the Hellfire lovers on here to give you more info on how they ride. I guess you're right in the 6'0" range on both but because of your age the 6'2"s will probably be more of a help than a hinderance.

Comment

Originally posted by GCBTorquay View Post
      Hi,
      I am looking for a step up board from an Al Merrick Pod 6',2.5,20.5 (34L). Could probably go the 5'10" but as an older surfer the 6' catches waves easily for me although I probably lose out on performance. (I'm 54 and 77kg) It is only 12 months old with lumps and bumps all over it. Hence, I am keen to buy a board that hopefully will look better after 12 months at least. The Pod handles waves for me from 1-4' but am looking for a board from 3-6' before I go for a more performance board or ultimately a 2 board quiver. I surf mostly reef breaks around Torquay, Australia. Am thinking of the Hellfire or Mini-driver. The MD volumes for 6' look too small and the 6'2 too big?????, whereas the Hellfire volumes for 6' and 6'2" are closer together. Any thoughts on which board and size would be appreciated.
      I have the exact same issue...would love to go 6'0 but at 30.5 its low on volume for me..but the 6'2 at nearly 34 is too much.... I have a 6'0 HF and while it definitely doesnt paddle as well as I would like when you snag one it makes any missed waves well worth it. I love that board in good waves. I would say go the bigger size with the MD (thats what I will be doing) and think of it as a cut down step up for when its 4-7 foot plus. I am using mine for a punch beachy that offers a tasty barrel if you are in early enough so turns arent really the issue..getting a shack is the priority with that wave.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone. Thinking about the dilemma and taking into account your thoughts I have decided to order the 6'2" MD. With the fuller nose it will catch waves easily and hopefully the extra 1/8 thickness won't be too boaty and effect performance. Will let you know how it goes. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
        X