X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6'6 Hellfire or 6'8 Alternator

Loving my 6'8 Hellfire, but I reckon I could comfortably drop down in size/volume a wee bit now Im progressing. I fancy going to a 6'8 Alt, but also considering the safer bet of a 6'6 Hellfire. Both these are 4 LTRs less than what Im riding now, which I can pretty much catch anything I want. Primarily I want something that turns that much tighter. Mainly surfing Point Breaks Chest to just over Head which can be a bit on the soft crumbly side at times. Would the Alt turn that much quicker than the HF? Any advice greatly appreciated.

No the Alternator wont turn any quicker, in fact it may seem more reluctant. The Alt is more a high performance board made for steeper larger surf - I find it a very controlled sure footed board - I can take late take offs on double over head drops with ease, where on the spitfire I'd be sitting out on the shouldeer somewhere. Id consider going 6'4 or 6'6 HF as you already have a spitfire - personally I find having too many short boards leaves you always thinking I should have taken the other board out today damb...

Comment

I surf a 6'8" Alt at your weight and love it. I could probably use the 6'6" though. I've never surfed the Hellfire to compare it to. If its for chest high and above the Alt would definitely work. I use it up to 2x overhead no dramas, and up to 3x overhead is within its range but less so mine.

Comment

Thanks Guys. Do you find the Alt still gos OK in crumbly waves chest to head, or does it need cleaner/steeper stuff just to get it going? Also is it pretty easy to paddle and suitable for an everyday "go to" board or something you only take out on the better days?

Comment

From chest and up its fine in Bells sort of crumbly. If it was super weak and crumbly though a Dom or Spit is a better bet.

Generally speaking though chest high is my cross over point between the Dom and Alt. I don't make any real mental adjustments depending on whether its mushy or not.

Basically an Alt is a super good all round board. If I surfed every day it'd probably be my daily driver.

Comment

Id never surf the Alt in anything under head high - the dom / spit are so much better in these conditions - this is partly due to my size & the boards lower rocker - fattness etc

Comment

I find the Hellfire to be a looser and faster board than the Alt. I would use the Alt in barreling waves where I wanted to just get barreled but then I'd probably still ride the Hellfire anyway. I just like it better.

Comment

Thanks for all the good advice. Hellfire it is!!.

Hovvering between the 6'4 and 6'6 but will prolly go 6'6 to be on the safer side, as it will be quite a drop to the 6'4 (6 ltrs). What do you guys think? I could prolly surf the 6'4 on a good day if I wasnt competeing for waves but that doesnt happen all that often.

Comment

I think you could easily surf the 6'4" Hellfire. That's the size I'd be using, and I'm your weight. Slowman will probably say a 6'2" would work for you, as it works for him. It's all about personal preferences.

I see though you are on more considerably volumed board as is. If you feel that they are only a touch overvolumed for you then yes, the 6'6" would be the go. If you feel those two boards are way overvolumed then go the 6'4".

Comment

Yeh reckon you could be right Buzzy, I just needed someone to talk me into it haha...

Comment

Done it!!

6'4 Hellfire with AM2 Futures on order. Should have my hands on it next week Yayy!! Just need to cut down on the Pies and Beer now so I can paddle it haha

Comment

just cut down on the pies...

Comment

Had my first surf on the 6'4 Hellfire and OMG I love it. Perfect size. I thought it would be harder to paddle into the waves than it actually is, especially coming down from a 6'8 HF and a 6'6 SF but I got virtually everything I went for. I surfed out at a mellow point break which was waist high and pretty weak and pissy and normally frequented by alot of grumpy old longboarders with alot of competition for waves, but didnt miss a thing. Infact I was probably still getting in earlier than alot of guys out there that were on much bigger boards. But Holy Hell once into the wave the thing just comes alive!! I really feel now that Ive actually been over volumed with my last 2 boards. Cant wait as looks like its going to be Head High for the next few days at my usual break and Im dying to get this thing into it.

Thanks for all the advice guys... One happy camper here :O)

Comment

wow that's great to hear.

keep ripping!!

Comment

Working...
                            X