X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellfire 7' or Addvance?

I'm trying to decide between the Hellfire 7' or the Addvance in 6'10" or 7'2" or if I should get a step down board between a longboard and shortboard. I'm 33, 225lbs and 6'6", I've ridden longboards mostly in the 10'-11' range up to head high for a couple years, took a year off, and have done some SUP surfing the last few months. I don't really want to get back into longboarding (can have that fun on a SUP), really want to go shorter, what do you guys think I should do?

I think the Addvance all the way, prob the 7'2. Even at 7'0 the Hellfire will feel like a Formula 1 car compared to the logs you are used to.

Hope this helps.

Comment

good call tallkook. I would agree!!!

Comment

I just got back from 10 days in PNG. Surfed quite often twice a day and between 3 to 6 hours a day. Typical waves were shoulder to 1 1/2 head high, not really barrelling but some were still quite fast. I took 2 boards but surfed the 6'10 Addvance for all but 1 session. It is such an easy board to surf, didn't let me down once and gave me 3 x the water time I thought I was going to have. BUT on the larger faster waves I thought it would be nice to have something with a bit more performance in it. I know this is being picky but, well, what board do I get next? I ws thinking a 7'0 Hellfire as it would maintain the volume and I think might go a bit better in the larger waves - I am never going to be surfing double overhead drainers. It wouldnt be a replacement for the Addvance but more of a step up if that makes sense.

Here is a couple of pics - but none of me on the Addvance.

Attachment Attachment
        Attached Files
        Last edited by STC67; 01-08-2013, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Very nice STC, I love that place. Did you get to surf Long Long Pt? It hasn't been working when I've been there but looks like fun when it's on. What about a big Alternator for the larger waves??

Comment

Hey TK, no Long Long was the only break that we didn't see working. We surf Nago rights and lefts and Nusa lefts and Raul. Piccers was working but looked a bit shallow so we left it to the locals.

I want to go back already !
            Last edited by STC67; 01-09-2013, 11:54 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Man I love it when people post pics of their trips!!!

Comment

Yeah love those pic's

Comment

Howzit... I also have just started w short boarding this past sept. after 20 yrs of long boarding and 10 yrs of bodyboarding as grom. yea i'm a mid-life crisis 41 that trimmed from a 7'6 funboard to a 6'8 fish and have now landed at the 6'6 spitfire. I'm 5'11, 185lbs. the SF is super floaty and have ridden it doulbe overhead Tracks on the west side and 3-4 ft Gas Chambers up country. Both breaks have some umph. Board is awesome... Maybe u'd like the 6'10. it's less floaty than the addvance, but has some kick to it.

Comment

After 23 years of riding 9' longboards, I decided to try shortboarding again. I bought a 7'0 Hellfire. It has great flotation and paddles very well. It's still quite a bit different from surfing longboards and not without frustration at times! Surfing lognboards tend to make you lazy...you paddle early, catch waves early, turn and trim and for the most part stay pretty mellow...you forget about using your legs and what they're capable of. Getting back on the Hellfire woke me up. I find myself cranking bottom turns and pumping down the line again!! By the way, I'm 53 years old and 178 lbs.

Comment

Yeah Jupiter!!

Comment

Working...
                      X