• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey Hwork,

loosening up the Hellfire:
    FCS: Stretch, K2.1s
    Futures: Stretch, WCTs

Check those. I have one of those fin sets in my car on every trip to the beach.

Comment

• Just did a bunch of reading and I think you are right that the Stretch/SA4/3's are the way to go. If it gets really big, California big 6-8, would the SA3's be good for that? Was thinking of selling the AM2's and just getting the Stretch/SA4 Quad set and a fiberglass single back fin so that I would have a 5 fin set.

Everything I read said that the Hellfire likes a little bit bigger fin but not too big unless the waves are huge. I do not really surf that big of surf but would love that board to handle 4-6 no problem. I think you are totally right on.

Do you think I should get the SA4's or the Stretch's? Let me know.

Brent
      Last edited by hwork50; 05-13-2012, 08:01 PM.

Comment

• Finally got a solid session on my 6'4 HF in shoulder to a bit overhead waves. Bought it last fall but I've only had a handful of days on it in not so great waves. I've been riding my potato and fishes in mostly small to medium weaker waves the last month or two. A couple of fun chest to shoulder days on my dom this month but nothing on the HF. In fact I've surfed it once since december and that was for an hour back in April. Today I blew the first couple of drops. My foot was either too far forward or too far back. The waves were fast and a bit steep. The HF had no problem making the drop that's for sure. Loved that. I'm thinking alot of time spent on the potato and lately the dominator may have contributed to the take off problems. Finally figured it out a little bit and had some great rides. The board is so fast. Maybe that's one problem i'm having on the drops. It's so fast my feet and body are having a hard time getting into position quickly enough. The funny thing is that even though each drop after that felt odd I still was up and riding and just exploding down the line. Once up and running the board went insane. Bottom turn, drive down the line, bottom turn again and hit the lip on a close out and ride it in. had a few really fun rides but each time the drop/take off was still awkward. I think I need to put the dominator to bed in solid waves. I enjoy it so much but I have to start getting more comfortable on my hellfire. I know its meant to be a step up version of the dom but seems so much more explosive. I've never had a session like that where I felt so off on the take off but ended up doing some really fun, progressive surfing (for me). I'm definitely into this board but when its chest + I need to take it out despite my love for the dominator. It's such an explosive board. I used to ride an alternator and this blows it away from a speed point of view. For an older intermediate like me it really helps me get down the line and into the next section. Great board but I need some more time on it I hope.

Comment

• Bumper, I was leary of being on the dominator too long most the season, especially not taking steep late drops on it. Once I got a couple sessions on the Hellfire, I am more confident on any of the drops it takes. I just cant surf it on crappy mush ... I switch back to the dominator.

Comment

• Since December I've had two hours on the board. I just need to develop a better feel for it. I definitely think once I get dialed in its going to really help my surfing progress. Im happy that between the potatonato, Dominator and hellfire I have a similar board quiver. Before FireWire I had a fish and 6 4 19.5 short board quad I would really struggle going from one to the other and would end up trying to surf the quad like a fish. I just felt off in bigger better waves. The hybrid models have helped me become a more aggressive surfer. I'll miss taking the Dom out though when it's firing. I agree that's it will still be the board when it's not so great.

Comment

• Hi Guys, I've had similar experiences between boards! Been riding my spud most of the time cause the swell has not been great and that board is just so much fun!

Then a couple of weeks ago we had a nice solid swell push through so I got the Spit out & ........... hold the bus that thing flys, down the line, hit the lip, nice spray reo then race down the line again, plung through a barrelling closeout section & nice big reo floater at the end, look up & I'm half way down the beach...yehaaaa!

The next day the swell had built a bit more so I took the Hellfire out & wamo, first takeoff the boards way down the wave & I'm scratching to keep up, second & third wave I adjusted bit by bit & this thing goes at Warp speed! Made a vow to take it out more often & get better aquainted cause I think the Hellfire has the ability to make you feel like every wave is the best wave of the session! Just hope mother nature chips in with more solid autumnal & winter swells!

Comment

• Yeah. I felt the same way. Just so fast underneath my feet. I think that explains my struggles. Just need to time on it. Today is waist to chest Perfect dominator waves but it should have enough push that I'll try out the hf. Might be a mistake but I need more time on it. Tomarrow will be waist so it's back to the spud.

Comment

• Surfgumby,

What was your fin set-up? I have the same thing going on here, bought the Hellfire for Christmas and have only used it a handful of times. I want to get this board dialed in this summer when the swells hit. I have heard nothing but good things about the Hellfire and cannot wait to get on it. Glad you had such an amazing surf on the HF.

Brent

Comment

• Fins

Originally posted by hwork50 View Post
                    Surfgumby,

What was your fin set-up? I have the same thing going on here, bought the Hellfire for Christmas and have only used it a handful of times. I want to get this board dialed in this summer when the swells hit. I have heard nothing but good things about the Hellfire and cannot wait to get on it. Glad you had such an amazing surf on the HF.

Brent
                    Hi Brent, The Hellfire warp speed rocket had a quad set up using FCS Sore Powerbase fins. DLs up front with Dms at the rear in Electra Flex (nice direct glassed on feel)!

I also have a thruster set in the DXLs Armour flex (have not been able to use them yet) for those bigger days ahead! I hope!!!!

Comment

• I have relented and just bought a Hellfire...I am hoping it will be everything Core and others rave about...took me a while to come around but...pulled the trigger and now just wait for the out of control stormy conditions we have before I take her out..also went Futures this time

Comment

• on ya mate....don't be a girl...take it out cracky now...!!!.. what size you get?

Comment

• got the 6'0...figured if its going to be a bigger wave board I want a bit more length but concede the width is not ideal...hoping the tail , being a little more refined will be the saviour...time will tell...Went to Avoca today..some clown tried walking around the point and ended up clinging to the rock wall in his THONGS and boardies..wet up to his armpits...couple of the clubbies were running to call the cops and rescue copter when he reemerged from the point and did the walk of shame past about 50 people who boooed him as he walked by...funny....kind of.

Comment

• Can't wait for the stormy mess to clean up so we can get out there & really give the Hellfire its head!

Comment

• yeah 600 is pretty close to the 510....nearly got it myself....classic about av pt...theres always one idiot...

Comment

• Surfed my brand new hellfire last weekend, epic board! Best board ever, some of the waves had flat sections and some of the waves were pretty steep. The board handled both very well and just felt like it wants to go, so fast!!! Also felt solid on rail.

Comment

Working...
                                X