Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waldo, what fins were you riding on the hellfire?

Comment

• good stuff waldo...thats the hellfire to a T...
      Last edited by core personal training; 06-06-2012, 11:02 PM. Reason: kant spel good

Comment

• Just got back from Panaitan Island and the Hellfire was the board I rode the most. It had the speed to really get down the line quickly and make the waves...although you really have to pick them, some of them are too fast. At Napalms I opted to ride my 6'8' just to get on the wave ASAP...it is a hard barrel to negotiate on your backhand at 4-5', pick the wrong one and there is an end section that backdoors and then races away and then you are on the reef. Forehand I think it would have been different as you can pump better while in the barrel because you don't have to crouch down/pig dog to fit in it. Had no issues at Illusions or the bombies (rights).

The hellfire handles barrels fine but some barrels the backhand stance is a limiting factor.
        Last edited by Slowman; 06-07-2012, 04:30 AM.

Comment

• Sounds like a good time was had Slowman can we expect any pics soon?

Comment

• slow livin' the life...!!

Comment

• Originally posted by core personal training View Post
              slow livin' the life...!!
              To be really honest, it made me value the waves we have here even more, the waves there are just a bit heavy for my liking. Napalms breaks on about 2' of water over a coral reef, which I was dragged over a couple of times. One Palm is breaks over 1' of water on the same coral reefs. It's a fringe coral reef - anyway the bottom goes from about 15' deep to 1' deep, as the reef just comes straight up and fringes what used to be a giant caldera (volcano cone). These waves are perfect but fast and VERY unforgiving. If you don't mind that then this is the place for you but for me, while I did get some good waves at times, it was a bit much for me. I'd imagined 2 x 4 hour surfs a day, these places if you were still intact after an hour or so, you'd quit while you were ahead (or as was often the case only slightly cut up!). You really really had to take note of how many more waves were in a set, because if you didn't make a wave that's how many would hit you, and eventually and inevitably, drag you back onto the reef. Love the duck dive on dry reef sensation as sets come for ya! FST handles reef hits pretty well!

So while it was an epic adventure and a great test for the hellfire I'll picking some place with less "heavy" and more "fun" for my next surfari. I know there are perfect barrels out there that break in more than 2' of water! Indo sets are separated by long lulls as well which on one hand is a blessing when you are stuck in a bad place, a little more consistency would help get dialed a bit better. I'll stick some photos up soon, there's a few to sort through and also fix up a little.

Comment

• Never forget a massive set that came in to HT's in Indo..about 6ft of white water coming towards me after I caught one..went to duck dive and it was like 8 inches deep...punctured my finger nail on the reef as I went to push my board into the whitewater...the pain was instantly overcome by the fact that I was about to get rag dolled over reef by a mountain of water...sobering
                Last edited by FW - Fan; 06-11-2012, 08:01 PM.

Comment

• ouch! What happened?

Comment

• yeah no fun there...

Comment

• Originally posted by hwork50 View Post
                      ouch! What happened?
                      I got rag dolled...board looked like it was attacked by a tiger....

Comment

• very well could have been... who knows what lives in massive into cleanup sets.

Comment

• Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Great shots!

Comment

Working...
                                X