Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you have hit on the big issue in the era of multi board quivers....transition....back in the dark ages, we had ONE board for EVERYTHING, except guns for the real stuff...it is sorting out the talent from the hacks...talent can jump from board to board and shred...then there's me....i'm finding with a body that's slowing down and getting stiffer and weaker that vastly different boards will have me kooking out for whole sessions or more...consistency is the key here....sounds like your on a winning combo there mate....

Comment

• That's interesting. I only started surfing in 2002 so the fish revolution was kicking in and I jumped on board after a few years of long boarding and struggling on a poorly purchased step up. Sometimes I wish I had just one board but our waves our so weak and varied that I would have never progressed without the fire wire grovelers and performance hybrids. I figured out the more time spent in the water equals better surfing. The wider more paddle friendly Dom and hf have helped in the bigger wave dept. just have to stick with my quiver and dial in. Going to have to stop buying the new best thing I think. It's hard, I love new toys. Lol.

Comment

• I tend to think, you can adapt to become more adaptable! I once read a recommendation to help your surfing you should jump on different boards occasionally so you don't get stale. My 2nd hellfire did not arrive as planned so I had to surf my old 6'6" Webber Afterburner (6'6 x 19.25 x 2.375) and for the first week of 1' slop I was quite surprised at how well the thing rode; take off and sink! LOL never the less I was surprised I could even get to my feet on these really weak waves, though I did sink immediately on some I still managed to get going on others.

The Afterburner used to be my everyday board so I know it pretty well and still kind of love it! I have trouble letting go! What surprised me was how well it paddled it has lots more rocker than the HF though it might just be a big kick in the nose section, a lot pointier too. Greg called it a semi-fish (ie. one of those hybrid things) but it's way more HPSB than the HF. Once my HF finally arrived I remember looking at it wondering if it was really a Spitfire, the nose looked wider and the rocker flatter. I double checked the dimensions on the rail, to be sure! I got it late in Friday evening, the day it cleared customs, so only had one morning surf on it. Anyway, the surf on Saturday morning was around the 5' mark but very onshore affected. Still good to get a couple. If only I'd got it for Friday's surf which was 5' and offshore and quite nice. Thems the breaks! Anyway, spending some time on the afterburner made the hellfire feel a little fresher if you know what I mean.

So Core, I reckon once you get the MB sorted out an occasional, galavant with the HF, should help keep things fresh, so long as the MB is not the jealous type!
        Last edited by Slowman; 07-23-2012, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• Greg Webber did a great shape with the After burner.

I find the transition between the Dom and Alt virtually seamless. The Futura demands a slight tweak to style but nothing huge. If I jump on my old McCoy single fin or my longboard I have to adapt my approach a lot. The longboard one is pretty obvious, but Geoff McCoy's boards absolutely demand back foot, in the pocket surfing. I think of myself as a back foot surfer and people who see me surf say I'm a back foot surfer but even I need to actively weight my back foot on the McCoy.

Apropos of not much!

Comment

• hi everyone,
            after reading lots of reviews and info over here, I thought I'd chime in and report so maybe some others can gain as much as I did. I'm 80kg, and got a 602 HF a bit over 3 months ago coming from a Dom. The Dom (in FST) was a great workhorse that suited me well: it took beatings without a scratch, and it's a board with plenty of tolerance that allowed me to really explore what there is to do on a wave. But the volume and the fat tail often made me want something different, and I did not reall like the quad setup which was making me feel like I was missing out on something.

Instead of settling for the Spitfire, I went for the HF (in RF), expecting a bit more steeper learning curve but I like a challenge. I expected for it to be a bit of a step-up for me to handle 10% of waves here as well as the odd nicer, bigger day, and thought I'd get a small wave thingy like a Potatonator along the way but I was not set then. But after doing my homework to improve to the level of the board, it is just unreal. It is now my main board, I surf it in anything, literally crap to bigger swells, and it is not nearly as chop sensitive as I thought. The HF is so light and playful, I even worked my way to deal with crappy beachbreak conditions, which I thought were out of range for my abilities. But perhaps the biggest surprise came from the ease to paddle this thing, I have not struggled at all and if anything, sitting a bit lower on the water feels actually easier on my shoulders. Preferred setup at the moment is thruster on smaller days or want it skatey, and quad for bigger, cleaner surf where it goes unbelievably fast and carvy. But there is so much fin as a quad that I still have to learn to attack harder off the tail on bigger days and at speed.

It'd be nice, but I seriously can't justify a Pnator at the moment. The only other boards I sort of look at now are the SP for the fat punchless days (will probably go for 504 or 506 in the next days), and if money was not a problem, a flexfire step-up.

And thanks to all contributors for their reviews and info, that's very valuable. Peace out.

Comment

• I think for stronger short board surfers the hellfire can definitely be a good all around board. Once I learn how to generate speed in smaller waves with a short board as opposed to a pnator, fish or sp I think I would take it out more in smaller waves. Good technique and skill should be able to make it work in most waves I think. I still need a little more volume and width to make a board work well in anything under stomarch high but I think after a few more good sessions on my HF it might actually be fun in the smalller stuff. It really paddles well and has great float. If I lived in a place where waves always had some punch I think the HF would be my go to board every day. Like I said earlier I have to take it out more and experiment with it and be more like the groms I surf with who have one board and ride it every day regardless of the conditions. They learn how to surf the board in every type of wave and become so dialed into it over time. It also helps to be under 100 pounds in those shin to knee high waves too. I like the idea though that riding alot of different boards can actually help your surfing overall. I always enjoy watching RASTA who surfs so many different types of boards. Bottom line is to just get out every time a wave is breaking and take out whatever works that day (SUP, LB, FISH, HYBRID, ect) I used to be a wave snob. If it wasn't over waist high I didn't go out. I think I've surfed every day since May 1 and most of the days were ankle to knee slappers on my RON JON long board. Water Time is the most important factor I feel.

Comment

• if you are surfing regularly and in form, then swapping boards is not as big an issue..and as slowman said can even freshen things up..but if you are not in the water much (me at the moment)...sticking with one that you like will maximize your performance ... or if you are intermediate or below, then sticking with a good allrounder will see you progress quicker...(like those one board groms)... this is where the hellfire shines...it will surf most waves and perform as well as a hp shortboard if you push it..(if you dont ride it too big)..while it will shred, it is also approachable for surfers who are still finding their way...stoked to hear so many surfers loving it...everyone i lend mine out to ends up buying one...i love seeing their faces when the board does its thing under their feet...its like a rebirth or something...

got in the water yesterday..after another 2 weeks no exercise whatsoever..PERFECT avoca point stuffed up and turned off as i paddled out on the MB...did a series of one knee takeoffs and two clumsy cutties with all the leg strength of overcooked noodles..a guy came out on a .. you guessed it...510 hellfire and got a couple of decent rides....this had me thinking about this thread... if i was smart..(i said IF)...i would shelve the MB until i'm back in the water and in form, and ride my trusty hellfire on these infrequent sessions .. this way i would only be dealing with an uncooperative body and not a totally different and demanding board as well...but the few combo's ive nailed in good waves on the MB have me hanging for more....

Comment

• Core, you're right, follow your own advice! When I bought my dominator it also coincided with getting back in the water after having a hip resurfacing and 6 months out of the water. I had to go back to my JS Kingpin so I at least knew how the board was supposed to go...how my leg was going to work was another story, but in short it works better now than before. Once I was back in some surfing form I jumped back on the dom and started working it out. All it took was a couple of weeks.

Meanwhile, would you like me to harp on ad infinitum on the benefits of cycling for leg strength? Helped me get back there (I kind of used to do it competitively anyway). Having had a number of ops (5 now, including completely severing the femur twice!) on my leg I've used it each time to rebuild the strength, not only do I swear by it, I swore at it too!
                  Last edited by Slowman; 07-25-2012, 06:29 PM.

Comment

• Just surfed my Hellfire with the Rusty quad fin set and had the best surf I have had in days. That board just rips and I hit the lip as hard as I could and it just held on. I would take off late or whatever I wanted and I must say I love this board and the size is absolutely perfect.

I am 6'3" 180 lbs, if you get a chance to surf this board do it and do not wait. It is the perfect board for me, thanks Firewire!

Comment

• right on hwork....right on...!!

Comment

• yeah hwork. fun little swell the last few days!

Comment

• Chris you don't even know how much surf I have gotten. I have surfed my brains out, I think the Hellfire is my go to board as I just cannot say enough good things about it. It is weird when I tried to surf my DOM today after surfing the hellfire all morning on a point break the DOM just does not get into waves on a beach break quick enough for me. Anyone else have that same problem?

Also, I think I figured out the bottom limits of the Hellfire today, mushy 2 foot waves with no power is the bottom, anything over that and this board goes.

Lastly, I thought my disc bulge in my back would act up more with the lower volume of the HF, not the case. My back actually likes sitting lower in the water than floating more on top with say the DOM or EF.

Comment

• Originally posted by hwork50 View Post
                            ... It is weird when I tried to surf my DOM today after surfing the hellfire all morning on a point break the DOM just does not get into waves on a beach break quick enough for me. Anyone else have that same problem?
                            Yep once you feel the speed at which the hellfire drops into a wave by comparison the spit or dom is slower and it becomes very noticeable.
                            Also, I think I figured out the bottom limits of the Hellfire today, mushy 2 foot waves with no power is the bottom, anything over that and this board goes.
                            Pretty much my findings too though I surf my spit in 1-3' if the surf report says 3'+ it's time for the HF.
                            Lastly, I thought my disc bulge in my back would act up more with the lower volume of the HF, not the case. My back actually likes sitting lower in the water than floating more on top with say the DOM or EF.
                            Brent, always good to figure out how to keep those niggles under control. For so long I never had back issues but because I've had my height surgically altered (through leg length changes) a number of times I've gotten to experience what others are complaining about while all my muscles and tendons make the adjustment.

Comment

• Just got my hands on a brand new 5,10" hellfire from my local surf shop today. Tail pad fitted ready for some maybe waves tomorrow. First impressions are the board looks beautiful with the balsa rails and a really nice shape. Can't weight.

Comment

• yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew

Comment

Working...
                                X