X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No worries Chris.

Have you or any of the other Firewire Team been riding the HellRazor? How does it compare to the HellFire?

Comment

CO11N5

I am getting a 6'1 Hellrazor and it is my understanding that is would be a great board for punchy 2-6ft waves that are either nice and clean or with a bit of chop on the face. It should handle a lot better than a Hellfire as it does have a touch thinner nose and tail. I believe that it has step rails the same as the tail of the Hellfire but along the side of the board to make burying the rails easier. I also think that with this setup and the Coffin tail there will be a nice lot of release in the tail when you come out of turns.

May be some one form Firewire who has ridden one can give some comments on how it rides.

Comment

I've had my hellfire for 2 days now and spent about 4 hours in total but I'm impressed already. The more waves I've surfed on it the better it gets. I would have spent maybe 4 hours in the water today but after 2 hours the shark bell rang. Our beach is sharky anyway but during the week a couple of friends had what they think was a great white surface about 5m away...they're calling 2' dorsal fin! Anyway different shark today 3m tiger I believe, many schools of fish inshore I watched the rubber ducky chase it around and it wasn't leaving, but whatever it was it was fast if the speed of the rubber ducky chasing it was any indication.

This morning there was the odd overhead wave and even barrel on offer and surface conditions were pretty clean to start with. I just love the way this thing drops into steep and sucky sections. It feels like it just drops in and gets to the bottom faster than the dominator, which has plenty of forward speed but doesn't seem to drop down the face as quickly. Anyway the hellfire takes off brilliantly and handles the drop beautifully. Drop into the pocket and turn straight up and aim at the lip and it seems to accelerate its way back up. Even a wiggle and it accelerates!

I mostly surfed a right hand peak this morning but it had the occasional left off it too. The rights were generally the pick and it was really going well on my forehand, turning tightly off the bottom and just as tightly off the top, does this thing snap or what? Mid face I snapped it round into a cutback just as it started to suck up and I thought oh oh but it turned off the foam like lightning and I was zipping down the line again, too easy. Re-entries are unreal, so much snap and speed and like I said drops fast to the bottom in time for another smash at the lip before it closes out like a typical beachie. I got a couple of lefts that were OK and did this one snap on my backhand off the top which really surprised me. The speed again off the top was unbelievable - I wasn't totally in control but came down from the lip and hooked into a bit of a cut back as the lip broke over me and I regained control and managed to make it out of there as the whole section closed. So that's both hands covered - can see this board goes well either way for me.

I'm still working out where the sweet spots are but because it feels so similar to other boards I've ridden before (typically those with a double barrel) I don't think it is going to be a very long "break-in" period. It feels similar but faster and turns tighter and with plenty of drive. It's loose but with very good control. Even as the breeze came up and surface conditions deteriorated the hellfire still went very well. It gets over fullish sections very well perhaps not as well as the dominator but if you can come out of one section with some speed already it is very easy to get through the flatter sections. It also seemed a little less forgiving than the dominator too as if you turned the wrong way, that is without enough power, it felt like it might bog - it didn't actually but felt like it might whereas the dom is so forgiving with that kind of thing.

Like my dominator I am riding the hellfire as a quad using Rusty R2s and I have an even smaller stabiliser - it probably does next to nothing except fill the plugholes but it goes like the shiznit, so I'll probably just leave it be.
        Attachment

After the hellfire I'm another bloke on the stoke! Can't wait to surf it more and in better conditions, with some luck tomorrow...
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Slowman; 01-28-2012, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Great review slowman. I totally agree with the Hellfire being less forgiving than the Dom. If you miss the sweet spot, the board will catch a rail. The Dom seems to be more forgiving in that respect. But once you find that sweet spot, the Hellfire is magical!!

Comment

I have only surfed mine twice and the waves were just ok. Had it set up as a thruster so I will be trying it as a quad as my DOM is just amazing as a quad and I love that board. Can't wait to use mine as you have yours, great review!

Comment

good stuff slow...

Comment

2 months on and im loving this board more than ever surfing it flat out, ive had about 20 boards in my surfing life and ridden about 50 as my old flat mate managed a surf shop and we were the everyday joe test pilots for years, and the hellfire is way up there as one of the best boards ive ever ridden, nothing better than finding a board that lets you surf to you best, best thing is unlike past PU magic boards i have had this thing is going to last no dings yet "touch balsa" and if in the rare event it does snap, well i can get another one pretty much exactly the same, instead of hassling my shaper to shape one exactly the same like past magic boards that have snapped and were never sucessfully duplicated...stoked

Comment

That little thing might give you a little extra hold during turns, specially if you're coming with speed on an open faced wave!!!.
                  Have you try the board with and without it yet?

Comment

I've got my Spitfire back now and I quite fancy trying a Nubster. I might have to find an old M5 or something and get the grinder out.

Comment

Let the butchery begins!!!!!;)

Comment

Haha carnage!

Comment

Yeah! do it.

Comment

I just read Slowman's review. Great to hear the Hellfire keeps you safe from sharks too!! The more I read about this board the more I start to believe it can do anything. I check the forum topics on the other boards from time to time just for a reality check but it seems like the HF brings out the froth more than any other model.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a HF myself but am still wrestling with what size to get. 6'0 or 6'2?
                            I'm at 84kg (185lb) on my way back down to 80kg (176) so I'm sitting on the borderline according to the buyers guide charts for intermediate surfers. I'm 41 now so I don't think I'm going to be advanced any time soon. I think the 6'2 would be perfect for me right now, but if I drop a few more kg will I find it to be too big? I guess as I get older the added paddling power of the 6'2 will come in handy, even if I do drop down in weight a bit further. Maybe the 6'2 is the way to go after all.. arrrghh!!!!!

Comment

@85Kgs the 6'0" floats me plenty!!! Even on a 5/4 wetsuit with boots and everything.
                              You know yourself better but the 6'2" might feel a bit too buoyant

Comment

yeah...the idea with this board is to keep it short....i ride the 510 at 92 kg's atm....but, i have to be on my game with my back playing nice to get up cleanly...once on my feet i would not want any more volume or it would lose its full HP characteristics...so...do keep in mind your ability to paddle onto and drop into waves, but the bigger you go for your weight the more you lose that feeling of surfing with no board under your feet..(which i'm finding addictive)

Comment

Working...
                                X