X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by buzzy View Post
    No disrespect intended, truly, but after a few waves an average surfer would quickly adjust to and barely notice 2 extra inches of rail length in a board, at least imho.
    I think that you could say that about almost any feature that adds some slight advantage (give or take as there are always trade offs) but I don't think it is quite right, as, at least in my experience, progression isn't some continuous improvement or even a series of consistent little steps, it comes in fits and starts. So once you take advantage of some improvement it can sometimes push you to another level and add new moves to your repertoire. So you don't just adjust and get lazy and stay the same - I might get lazy and stagnate or even regress for other reasons though! Though of course you have to be at the stage where you are ready to take the next step forward, if you aren't then as you imply by your qualification of average, you won't really take advantage and progress. You must be ready to use the force!

Comment

So true Buzzy!! I notice guys get too hung up on the length. It really should be how the board floats and paddles. I tend to ride my boards about 2 inches longer than recommended for my weight. Ride a 6 4 DOm when I could have gone 6 2. Love my 6 4 Dom and have never felt it was too much board, unless the waves got several feet overhead and juicy. So i picked up the 6 6 Hellfire knowing that a 6 4 was the mid range volume for me. Dont regret my 6 6 HF. In fact its one of the best boards I have ever had!! The extra volume is not a problem and I ride that board is some powerful, juicy point waves here in Hawaii. I like the extra paddling power and here in Hawaii the extra inches in length are actually a benefit!!

46 yrs old 215 lbs(On a good day!!)
      6 4 Dom RF
      6 6 Hellfire FST

Comment

Sorry slowman, but I'm firmly in the "too much angst about rail length" camp.

A good surfer will adjust even more quickly, although they'll also be more attuned to the differences.

Comment

Agree buzzy, I do think though for rail length, surfers can have different preferences and you CAN have too little rail if the other dimensions don't pick you up, such as width, rocker, volume, etc...

Great conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzy View Post
            Sorry slowman, but I'm firmly in the "too much angst about rail length" camp.

A good surfer will adjust even more quickly, although they'll also be more attuned to the differences.
            Buzzy, I guess I'm not in it either I just ordered a hellfire!

Comment

On ya Slowman!

Comment

Hey stick, I had a similar situation, had a 6'4 Flexfire and a 5'10 dom (which I love) Im 85kg and 5'10 - I never bonded with the flexfire - I wanted it for overhead powerful surf but I never felt very confident on it, especially when the surf conditions were rougher, so I ended up selling the flexfire, I bough a 6'6 xxxxxx rounded pin for the bigger juicy days and its all I need. when it gets bigger and more powerful the standard shortboard ie the alternator becomes more of a board of choice IMO - my brother has bought a 6'6 alternator which I rode recently, its still a high performance design, its definitly not a hybrid, plenty of rocker nothing too fancy, a good reliable solid board. You have the dom which when ridden short covers all stuff to just overhead, and the alternator would easily cope with everything above. I think the hellfire will overlap with your dom. You could go for a one board quiver of course which the hellfire would be a good choice for,...

Comment

If you want it for bigger surf id go the 6'2 in FST - tougher material

Comment

or the borez...:)

Comment

I thought the borez would be suited to smaller conditions? I could be way off on that one though

Comment

yeah surfer that is a fair assessment. because its a bit shorter and wider than say a Taj or a Flexfire, it feels great in tight steep pockets and beach breaks while you are still below the "commitment" sized wave. By this I mean think playful sizes, not where you are reaching for added length to get into the wave. I like it primarily in waist to a couple feet overhead. Much bigger and typically you are going to want more length than the Michel carries.

Comment

Chris what do take out in big surf?

Comment

I haven't really spent much time on anything other than a 602 Alternator round tail and the 606 or 608 flexfire pintail. That being said, I get onto my 602 in a majority of my step up days. ride futures with JC1s. The 606 and 608 were great for windy days back east when it was 8+ at 10s and I was in a 5/4 with boots and gloves. Haven't been in anything over double overhead yet here in CA and a lot times at that size, you are at a place that is packed and I spend my energy on the tweeners where the hassle is less...

Comment

Working...
                            X