Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One bosrd for everything-hellfire???

Hello everybody!

After reading in this forum for quite a while i would ask you
    Guys for a little help. I live in the middle of europe and unfortunately surf only on holidays (2 months a year) travelling is a must - so the north atlantic (canaries, portugal, morocco) is my place.
    I want to travel with only one board and the usual wave height is 1-3 m (mostly powerfull)
    Is the hellfire in size 6.6 with 39.7 l the right board for me?

I am 6.3 tall, 88 kg, and 41 years old (or young:-) average shape but stoked about surfing for 17 years.

Thanks for your help!

Oli

One more thing: i was used to surf a 6.2 quadfish the last years but i struggle when waves get over head high. Surfstyle is more carving down the line with no tricks....
    Last edited by Tangotubes; 03-13-2013, 03:43 AM.

I'd look at the Minidriver too for those places. It handles powerful waves well and has the width and stability in the nose for paddling and popping up, but also low enough rocker and width to work in the small stuff.
    The Hellfire could be good too, I don't have much experience with that one myself though.

Comment

The minidriver is quite small and not much volume at biggest size only 37.6 l. Maybe not enough for an older guy searching for a forgiving board?

Comment

Hmm depends what you're comfortable with.
        The Unibrow looks like another good all rounder and carries a little more volume than the Mini Driver.
        The Hellfire could well be a good one though, I've got a mate who rides his 5'8" in everything.

Comment

Hi Oli,

I'm from Portugal, 6'2 and 80kg, and I have Hellfire 6'4, quad.
          This board is fantastic. It floats a lot (37L), maybe a little too much for me and paddles great.
          I have been to Indo, taking only this one board with me and it was perfect everywhere.

You will love the HF!

Cheers
          R

Originally posted by Tangotubes View Post
          Hello everybody!

After reading in this forum for quite a while i would ask you
          Guys for a little help. I live in the middle of europe and unfortunately surf only on holidays (2 months a year) travelling is a must - so the north atlantic (canaries, portugal, morocco) is my place.
          I want to travel with only one board and the usual wave height is 1-3 m (mostly powerfull)
          Is the hellfire in size 6.6 with 39.7 l the right board for me?

I am 6.3 tall, 88 kg, and 41 years old (or young:-) average shape but stoked about surfing for 17 years.

Thanks for your help!

Oli

One more thing: i was used to surf a 6.2 quadfish the last years but i struggle when waves get over head high. Surfstyle is more carving down the line with no tricks....

Comment

If somebody put a gun to my head and said "You must surf 1 board for the rest of your life! Which is it going to be?". I would easily choose a Dominator or Spitfire. It's my baseline. Meaning, I always keep 1 around. I'll try and challenge my surfing with a more progressive board, which is fun, but always come back home to the Dom/Spit. It can handle 2ft to 6ft well. I still take it out when the surf gets above that just for a challenge :)

Comment

Hellfire is a good allrounder, it can grovel down to thigh high. Quad when it is small and thruster when 1.5 x overhead+. The JK is another good allrounder too probably grovels a bit better too.

Comment

Hey renmachado! Can i get in contact with you somehow? Im visiting portugal in summer for 3 weeks (Peniche) and need some infos on the surf,stores and what board would be perfect for those 3 weeks! Thanks

Comment

So the hellfire is it. But what size? 6.4 or 6.6? 3 l difference in volume. Will i feel that?
                  Usually i surf with a 3/2 wetsuit. Most probably the bigger one is a bit more forgiving?

Comment

I'm 54 and 90kg and have a 6'2 as you can see. Mine goes fine in a 3/2 steamer. I would not describe myself as overly fit but after decades of swimming I think I have an efficient paddling technique and a good feel for the water. I know that a 6'4 will float you but perhaps check the volume calculator and see what it recommends too.

Comment

Hey slowman! Hows much does a 3/2mm suit affect your float/volume decision making? Ive only ever used boardies and a t-shirt...but im off to portugak this summer and its a must to wear a wetsuit there. Should i over volume slightly or under? Ty

Comment

I'm no slowman but here in England I surf in a 5/4 with boots gloves and hood in the depths of winter, 3/2 in the peak warmth of summer and boardies and t-shirt when I am lucky enough to travel to warmer climes. So I use the whole range on a yearly basis.
                        I have also surfed a fair few times in Portugal.

The key I think is to remember that wetsuits add weight but also float.

IMHO I would go with exactly the same dimensions for your boards especially if it is only a 3/2 you are going to wear.

Yes, the increased weight of wearing a suit (although v slight for a 3/2 these days) will make your board sit slightly lower in the water when you surf you will also float more when you come to ducking under waves. Portugese beach breaks can have decent power and so I would think the extra dig you can get in a rail on a turn and the ability to get under a wave better would make staying the same or going down in volume the best options.

As for going down in volume I think that if you have not surfed in a wetsuit much you will find it (even though suits are getting better and better) more restricting to your paddling power. So less volume and less paddle power may reduce your wave count.

Hope that's useful.

Comment

that was really helpful. its just like evey other decision made...one way has its ups and downs and vice versa....

Yea i currently ride a 6.4dom which is a bit coarky and floats me a boatload! im thinking 6.4(36.7L) or maybe even 6.2(33.7L) hellfire or even a 6.1 Unibrow(34.2L) but i guess that itll be more of a ''hold board and give it a good shake'' to make my final decision. all of these are +-6 liters and a wet suit ontop of that...I have absolutely NO idea what size to get... Hopefully I can demo the boards in Peniche....

Comment

Hi luis!
                            Check your potugal summer thread!

Comment

Originally posted by luismx View Post
                              Hey slowman! Hows much does a 3/2mm suit affect your float/volume decision making? Ive only ever used boardies and a t-shirt...but im off to portugak this summer and its a must to wear a wetsuit there. Should i over volume slightly or under? Ty
                              It doesn't really. I don't notice any difference in the way a board goes when wearing a 3/2...just boardies always feels freer but everyone is wearing a wettie in winter so it's the same for everyone so neutral effect on wave count. Waves have a little more juice too.

As RobinL said I wouldn't be going for less volume because of a wetsuit - you might want to for other reasons.

Comment

Working...
                              X