Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended fins for Hellfire as quad and thruster.

Hi just picked up a mint cond second hand Hellfire without fins, wasn't sure as to what fins to get so just took recommended fins from guy at surf shop (basically cheap standard set) futures vector 11 F4 347 quad set up.

Had one surf on it yesterday, bit hard to tell how it went as very average conditions 2-3 ft cross/on shore rip bank fat reforms, tried it as a quad, (first ever surf on a quad) but just felt as if i forgot to put my back fin in on a thruster, not sure if i liked the feel, felt as though wasn't drawing a proper turn, more of a flick, so i took the two smaller fins out and put one in the rear as a thruster set up, still felt as it was missing something as though the back fin was to small, although waves got worse so hard to really tell.

Obviously I will give this quad thing more of a go and looking foward to getting it in better waves, the board did go fast as i have read and volume felt perfect paddled and caught waves great.

Would really love any recomendations on fins to use as either a Quad or Thruster set up?

Waves where i live are mostly waist to head high fun peeling wally kind of waves, often fat and rarely hollow from take off to pull out.

Boards a Hellfire 5,10 X 19 3/4 X 2 3/8 9my details see below)

Cheers

male 37 yo, surfing 25 years, 75 kg about 5,8 tall, high end of average abilty.
    surf a flex fire 6,3 x 18 3/4 x 2 3/8 and a hell fire 5,10 x 19 3/4 x 2 3/8

2nd surf

Board felt heaps better today with quad set up, actually went really good (guess i should post in hellfire reviews)

Still love any feed back on fins as will muck around more with it as time goes on, in particular as a thruster set up.

Comment

for your height and weight use Futures V2 F4 for up to head high waves, (its a 5 fin set so you could go tri or quad)
      Futures VII AM1 (tri) going for over head waves
      I think Trifin fits this board better unless you are on a long point break

I use
      Punchy Beach Breaks and reefs
      Futures Tim Stamps as trifin
      Futures AM-2 as Trifin

Point breaks and fast down the line
      I would use a Quad (Tim Stamps ) have not used as quad yet.
      Last edited by Fritzkat; 01-02-2012, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Have a set of Solus as thruster for better conditions and a set of Elevon quads that go really well on average surf
        The stretch quads quads are good and the tokoro thruster are also quite good
        http://www.futuresfins.com/catalog.php

Comment

Thats a hard question. I find fins should be for your weight and surfing style. If you have a shop with Futures "Fin Tree" take advantage of this and try different fins. For my weight and the waves I surf, the Pancho Signature fins are awesome!! But for your weight, you should be looking at a smaller fin setup than the Panchos!!

Comment

Those are wise words.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, yeah one of my local shops has the futures fin tree, will have to give a few a go, for now though might keep going with what ive got as just got in from a surf and it was going awesome.

Comment

Good thinking indodreaming. But your going to find trying new fins are ADDICTING!!! I got different sets for different conditions. Think of fins like the tires of your board. You dont want mud tires for driving on the road and you dont want road tires for off road mud trails!!! Have fun researching!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hanaleisurfer View Post
                  But your going to find trying new fins are ADDICTING!!!
                  Yes, I've become a bit of a fin junkie myself since I started playing around with the five fin setup. It's really like having 2 (or more) boards in one. Last weekend I even bought the new FCS Knubster mini-fin that Kelly had in NY. It's only small but it made the board feel different again. So now I have 3, 4, or 5 fins to play with. If you are mixing your fins up, do yourself a favour and get one of those ratchet tools. It'll make life much easier. Just be careful not to overtighten.
                  Last edited by daybit; 01-04-2012, 09:46 AM.

Comment

That ratchet tool is epic.

Comment

I avoid the ratchet, I've seen mates get too carried away with them and strip the thread on their fin boxes a bunch of times. The way I am with my boards, an extra minute spent putting fins in my boards is a pleasure anyway haha. On that note, got my Soar Powerbase DLs yesterday. I'll snap a pic in a sec and load it up.

Comment

ok, both nev and i (among many others) ride this board...hes 70ish kg im 90ish kg...both have found bliss with simon 3's and 4's plus am2's plus pancho's (nevs call there)...the HF likes a fin a little larger than your standard shorty...fins are subjective, but there you have both ends of the weight range on the same fins...my 40kg grommet goes vert on it with ea techflex and deviant...i could leave the sa3's in forever and be happy...

Comment

Originally posted by daybit View Post
                          Yes, I've become a bit of a fin junkie myself since I started playing around with the five fin setup. It's really like having 2 (or more) boards in one. Last weekend I even bought the new FCS Knubster mini-fin that Kelly had in NY. It's only small but it made the board feel different again. So now I have 3, 4, or 5 fins to play with. If you are mixing your fins up, do yourself a favour and get one of those ratchet tools. It'll make life much easier. Just be careful not to overtighten.
                          How do you like the Knubster fin
                          Does it make a quad setup better
                          Personally I've never liked quads but this could be the solution

Comment

Originally posted by Wandi View Post
                            How do you like the Knubster fin
                            Does it make a quad setup better
                            Personally I've never liked quads but this could be the solution
                            I've only used it a couple of times on my Dominator on small days, but so far so good. It doesn't seem to affect the paddling and take off speed, but turns feel a bit more gradual than with a pure quad - closer to a thruster set up. It does feel like there is more lift under the tail. I guess that varies from board to board though. The Dominator does have a lot of volume in the tail to start with. The fin is cheap so I bought it for a bit of a lark.

Comment

I made my own stabiliser fin...I prefer to have it secured by 2 tabs. Mine has a steeper trailing edge but a lower profile than the knubster and on the dominator it really gives it more of a pivotal feel and even makes it faster I reckon. That said, I think it will be a different proposition on the hellfire, personally I don't think it will be needed because of the bottom contours and tail shape but I guess I'll do some experimenting when my hellfire arrives (apparently very soon - today or the next!!!) and see.

Comment

Working...
                              X