Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about 610 UB vs 702 Alt RT? Both have about the same volume. Better all rounder for everything?

Comment

is there a specific reason u dont want to go smaller? i wud say if u wish to stay at 50+L, none of them wud actually b a step up from what ur riding now. depending on the waves ur riding, i dont think a 6'10 Alt wud b any different than a 6'10 SF unless the waves were punchier.

Comment

I don't think a longer UB would be any good as a step up for 2x overhead plus waves. It just carries too much volume and tail width. Longer lengths just pile on more volume and more tail width. If your plan is for this sort of step up the longer flex fires would be the go, but they don't come in the volumes you mention. Maybe a 6'10" Alt? . I do think the volume you seem to have in mind is too high.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzy View Post
          ... I do think the volume you seem to have in mind is too high.
          I would listen carefully to this, as Buzzy is a man who likes a bit of volume.

Marklids, I looked back through this thread and I can't see your weight mentioned (though I might have missed it). We need to get your weight and experience before we make any more board/volume recommendations, so far it seems we're all working off the volume of your spitfire without even really checking that it is right for you (which you said has too much volume anyway). If we don't start with the basics, we'll never nail it down, we'll just keep kind of going round in circles.
          Last edited by Slowman; 05-06-2013, 06:18 PM.

Comment

True. In long threads you give up back checking on weight. Be that as it may your existing board is amply foamed and unless you're especially heavy going more volume would likely be disastrous. That's to be coupled with the importance of YOU enjoying your equipment. It's you surfing it, not someone else, and there's no point in surfing what other people like if it doesn't work for you.

As I say though the vol numbers you quote are high. What weight are you?

Just as an FYI I'm 90kg and find a range of 35-40 litres works for me (optimally right in the middle).

Comment

Sorry gents, my weight flux between 205-215 depending on where I'm at with my fitness. Sorry, should have mentioned that. Grew up short boarding but last 20 years (pushing 45) been long boarding and also large fish/fun boards. I've pretty much lost touch with the short boarding and board design has changed so much since the 80's & 90s. I'm so used to big volume I bought a 610 SF because the volume was about the same as my last 73 fish. I do enjoy the paddling advantage in the line up:). I am having a ball in it now but took a couple of months. Doing moves I haven't been able to do for years and its got me craving more! the SF gives me some problems on big waves and steep because it sits so high up on the surface it can be hard to control. But it's been a fantastic board to push me back into short boarding. So I was looking for a "next step" toward eventually getting down to a shorty. That's why I was hitting up about how much volume to drop so it won't be too drastic and I could still use the spit for marginal stuff and keep the log on the rack.
              Last edited by Marklids; 05-06-2013, 09:04 PM.

Comment

i rode a 6'6 Sf for some time while transitioning down and its 45L and an excellent paddler. i think the HF runs a lil smaller so to go from what ur on now to a 6'10 HF wud only b a drop in volume, but u might be able to gauge where ur at in surf shape and ability. u have 4 yrs and 20+ lbs on me and i can say that 45L might be where u want to look at. u might paddle harder, but it might be what ur looking for.

Comment

Jacknife all the way, fast paddler and refined rails even in longer lengths, unlike most other hybrids firewires. Alt good option too, just not as 'allround'

Comment

At your weight and age I'd have thought a 6'4" to 6'6" Spit and 6'6" to 6'8" Hellfire would be appropriate. You clearly like a bit more foam so I agree a 6'10" Hellfire would be ok, but I wouldn't go longer than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnet View Post
                      Jacknife all the way, fast paddler and refined rails even in longer lengths, unlike most other hybrids firewires. Alt good option too, just not as 'allround'
                      I was checking out the JK and it is an interesting board. I like swallow tails but the EF and Activator seem too much like what I already have. And the Q5 only good for good waves. Ya able to throw that JK around. Any drawbacks going top to bottom with that wideness?

Comment

Originally posted by Marklids View Post
                        I was checking out the JK and it is an interesting board. I like swallow tails but the EF and Activator seem too much like what I already have. And the Q5 only good for good waves. Ya able to throw that JK around. Any drawbacks going top to bottom with that wideness?
                        The JK is, to borrow one of Chris' terms a "city sneaky" LOL. Whatever that means! Anyway, you can throw this thing around and because of the refined rails it feels a lot like a short board but with the advantages of being an excellent paddler that still takes a decent drop very well. The JK will handle good waves very well and will surf anything from knee high to 2xoverhead+, they just need a bit of shape, it can't grovel as well as the spit. Find the right fins and it will do whatever you want.

Comment

Thanks slow man, I just read the tread written by Fazza about the JK and I think that is THE BOARD. And sounds like you love yours too, but do you still like your HF better? Thanks for all the help. God bless!
                          Last edited by Marklids; 05-07-2013, 04:25 PM.

Comment

The JK is, to borrow one of Chris' terms a "city sneaky" LOL. Whatever that means! Anyway, you can throw this thing around and because of the refined rails it feels a lot like a short board but with the advantages of being an excellent paddler that still takes a decent drop very well. The JK will handle good waves very well and will surf anything from knee high to 2xoverhead+, they just need a bit of shape, it can't grovel as well as the spit. Find the right fins and it will do whatever you want.

That said though, the JK surfs very differently from the spit and the hellfire. It's a combination of back and front foot whereas the spit and HF are more back foot and feel the same as each other.

I ran your numbers through the volume calculator at 30years, average fitness and 210lbs it recommends between 42 and 47L. I used an age of 30 because after that it piles on a lot more volume than I think it should...I mean average fitness in the surf is the same no matter what age, right? If you don't have average fitness you won't be able to paddle out at a beach break on an overhead day, if you can then it's all the same average in my book regardless of age. Anyway take that with a grain of salt, just my opinion.

Anyway here's a list of boards in that volume range http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/su...2&maxvolume=47
                            You'll see a 6'8 HF and a 6'11 HZ get recommended too. The lineage goes spitfire, hellfire, hellrazor. So going with HF or HZ should feel like a natural progression without too much learning curve. If you go the JK path there will be a steeper learning curve. I think at this stage you'd be better off with more of a natural path of progression for the fastest advancement of your surfing.
                            Last edited by Slowman; 05-07-2013, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks slow man, I just read the tread written by Fazza about the JK and I think that is THE BOARD. And sounds like you love yours too, but do you still like your HF better? Thanks for all the help. God bless!
                              Ahh I sort of double posted! See above anyway, yes I loved it but unfortunately I broke it (I'll replace probably next summer). Yes it is a very versatile board, it almost grovels, so it was a great board to throw in the car and know that if there was 2'+ it would handle the conditions. With the HF if the swell is around thigh high I'd take both it and the spitfire. The JK had a lower range - great board but as I said if you really want it (and it sounds that way!) there will be longer breaking in period, I can say it will be worth it in the end. I loved the shape.

The HF and the JK feel different. The HF feels a bit more explosive and too fast and skatey in big lumpy conditions whereas the JK seems to hold an edge and cut like a "knife" no matter what, with looser fins I got it to the same looseness as the HF. Hard to say which I liked better.
                              Last edited by Slowman; 05-07-2013, 04:42 PM.

Comment

I own the Futura, which is the board the Jacknife is based off. I'm prety sure the only substantive difference is adding flyers. Volumes and other dimensions remain identical.

It's a very good board but one which doesn't gel with my preferences. If it had one litre or two extra volume I might feel differently about it, but for me I prefer a Unibrow for use in that mid range wave size.

It's fair to say that in terms of the rails and tail the Futura (and ergo the Jacknife) is more refined than a UB, and therefore has a bigger wave range. The other big difference is (at least I think) the UB surfs top to bottom better, but the Futura (Jacknife) surfs laterally faster.

1.5 litres extra volume I'm sure I'd feel a lot different about it, but there you are. It's still eminently surfable though.

Comment

Working...
                                X