X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellfire Volume

I'm coming from a 6'0 dominator which 35.3L and I'm thinking of the 6'2 hellfire which is supposedly 33.7L. Am I going to really notice 1.6L less volume?

I'm around 92kg ATM and advanced on my good days so I fit inside the min and max recommendations of the volume calculator so it isn't really a question about getting the correct volume for me, it is about whether I'll notice much difference.

I'm loving the dominator in good and bad waves. It is a real advantage in slightly fuller but fast waves when others are having trouble catching them and getting going quickly to make them. I tend to think, even though the hellfire will have less volume the planing area will be similar and with the speed of the single to double concave it shouldn't make any difference in the wave count - especially if I'm surfing it in better quality waves anyway. Sound reasonable or flawed?

The 6 2 Hellfire should be just right. Your not going to really notice the difference. The Hellfire is a great board, especially when the waves get good. No problems catching waves on this board. Get the Hell fire, you wont regret it!!

Comment

The other point to note is that you'll typically be in better surf while riding the hellfire so you won't be super sensitive to the reduction in volume. At 1.6L the difference will be wiped out by the design of the board. The hellfire is a great shape and does its job well.

Cheers!

Comment

Thanks guys input appreciated just ordered the 6'2" woo hoo!

Comment

Cant wait for the feedback slowman!! Just remember, the Hellfire thrives in good waves!! Not for slop!!!

Comment

Everything is shut down and re-opens Monday, so I won't know until then how long it will be. Might be up to 3 weeks if it isn't in stock at the dealer, which I guess is Firewire at Currumbin - fingers crossed. Ordered the 602 FST Hellfire with FCS plugs from Cronulla Surf Design - just in case you guys wanted to get my feedback quicker! Wink wink! Though not in any real rush but I got to hold the 5'8" they had at the shop and check the board out, the double barrel is nice and deep and the rails feel good.

Comment

Thanks for the words showman.

Comment

I'm riding a 6' Dom a the moment and loving it.Want a Hellfire for better days but can't decide between 6' and 6'2. Will it make much difference? I'm 88kg trying to get to 84kg (now christmas is over) I'm not super advanced but am above intermediate. Will be riding it in better waves. Live in Wollongong NSW(1.5 hour south of Sydney)
                Last edited by Danga; 01-16-2012, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Hey Danga. I scored some great waves in Wollongong when I was travelling through Aus.
                  I'd urge you towards the 6'0" HF. It has plenty of volume for you.

Comment

Agreed!!, I think the 6'0" is the way to go

Comment

yep 6 at most...especially if you drop that weight....im 90 on the 5'10....

Comment

My mate is 87kg and is on the 6'0 Hellfire and cannot rave about it enough. He was lucky enough to demo both the 6'0 the 6'2 for a few days from Natural Necessities Surf Shop down in Gerringong. He rode them in long 4-5ft clean waves down that way and felt the 6'2" was too much board - based on that, if you are between intermediate and advanced then I would go the 6'0 for sure - (won't be long before you are advanced on this board!)

Slowman I don't think you will feel a whole lot of difference between the 6'0 Dom and Hellfire because of the waves you'll ride it in - based on what my mate says....I think the 6'2" may be too much board considering your skill level - try and demo them first!

Comment

Goanna (channeling Kerry Packer?) I've already ordered the 6'2 as I'm packing a few more kilos than Danga, if I was at 88kg I'd probably have gone with the 6'0.

I even thought of taking a drive down to Natural Necessities, as Gerringong is not that far a drive, but I thought I'd stay local for warranty/repair issues and I'd known the previous owner of CSD for years (he's just the landlord now) and they used to send me birthday cards! It would certainly be nice to have demoed the boards but trying to pick a good day to drive there with waves, would be a lottery anyway I suppose. This way when I finally get it, I can choose the right day, rather than just take pot luck. Most places that have demo boards only let you have it for the day, a week would improve the chances of scoring the right conditions for the board but I understand while that's optimal for me it may not be for the shop owner.

I have plans to get a bit lighter and I'm working on it so if the 6'2 starts to feel too big I can always buy another one! These things are friggin' cheap compared to bicycles (think 10x more) and probably hold their value better!
                          Last edited by Slowman; 01-17-2012, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Natural Necessities at Gerringong let you have the board for 4 days for $25 and if you buy a board they take that off the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
                              Goanna (channeling Kerry Packer?) I've already ordered the 6'2 as I'm packing a few more kilos than Danga, if I was at 88kg I'd probably have gone with the 6'0.

I even thought of taking a drive down to Natural Necessities, as Gerringong is not that far a drive, but I thought I'd stay local for warranty/repair issues and I'd known the previous owner of CSD for years (he's just the landlord now) and they used to send me birthday cards! It would certainly be nice to have demoed the boards but trying to pick a good day to drive there with waves, would be a lottery anyway I suppose. This way when I finally get it, I can choose the right day, rather than just take pot luck. Most places that have demo boards only let you have it for the day, a week would improve the chances of scoring the right conditions for the board but I understand while that's optimal for me it may not be for the shop owner.

I have plans to get a bit lighter and I'm working on it so if the 6'2 starts to feel too big I can always buy another one! These things are friggin' cheap compared to bicycles (think 10x more) and probably hold their value better!
                              I'm hearin ya now....forgot about the extra weight - hey your going to love the 6'2" then. Keen to hear how it goes for you (not Kerry Packer)

Comment

Working...
                              X