X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellfire, Spitfire, or Dominator

Started playing with the sweet potato to bring my board length down. Now I'm on a 601 BP and loving it, and have been considering PN/DOM/SF. Then I link up with a guy who tells me to forget those and try the HF, and takes me out and loans me his 700 out at Kaisers. Damn if that wasn't a blast! Good on the faces, good in the inside mush. I was impressed.

I rotate boards through my quiver till I finds board that works well and then it stays. I'm looking for some input on some of the other boards as to weather or not I'm gonna be missing something/how each of the others ride/surf/handle, or if that is the natural progression and this kind soul has saved me a few steps.

The Dominator was the start of that design. Fuller template, plenty of volume, low rocker and smooth continuous curve in the outline.
    The Spitfire is basically the Dominator but with the rail line straightened up through the tail into the diamond tail. It has a little more drive than the dominator and a bit more snappy release whereas the Dominator really likes to link smooth carves with its curved outline. Subtle differences though.
    The Hellfire is a step up from the Spitfire. More pulled in outline, more rocker and a aggressive double concave rather than the subtle single that the Spitfire/Dominator has.
    That keeps it freer on the wave at speed.
    As you have a Baked Potato for small days I think you'll be better off with a Hellfire. It'll cover a greater range as the Dom/Spit start to red line in the head high range.

Comment

we all know my pick by now don't we??? HELL yes..!!

Comment

Hell tastes like heaven in this case

Comment

Ok, looks like I just need to pick a size. The 700 was great, but he recommended I try his 610 as well. I'm pretty stoked.

One other thing. He had it set up as a quad with a nubster. Seemed to work great. Any thoughts on the setup?
          It also seemed like a much heavier board than the RF boards I've had, his are FST. Is that just me or are they a little heavier?

Comment

FST is heavier, partically in the boards with the heavy double concaves it seems. The trade off is you get a lot more durability from the construction.

I'm a fan of the quad with nubster setup. Quad drive and feel but with that extra bit of bite and predictability.

Comment

I had the opportunity to try the FST and the RF. That was interesting. The FST seemed to setup perfectly under my feet and I always seemed to end up forward on the RF. I grabbed the FST. Now I gotta get her set up. He let me borrow the setup he had on which was the (FCS) HI-1 (quad) with nubster. Seemed ok in small surf, but very stiff in larger. I pulled the back three fins, keeping the HI-1 front fins, at 19+ square inches, and threw in an Aipa center fin I have. Seemed to work like magic! Alas, I must eventually return the HI-1 set and install some fins of my own. Problem - I sorted and sold my extra FCS a few years ago. So, I need some recommendations on setups. Happy to go quad (it's kinda new to me and I'm having a lot of fun getting schooled up), but also ok with trying other setups. What's your recommendation?

Comment

Originally posted by Phill View Post
                The Dominator was the start of that design. Fuller template, plenty of volume, low rocker and smooth continuous curve in the outline. The Spitfire is basically the Dominator but with the rail line straightened up through the tail into the diamond tail. It has a little more drive than the dominator and a bit more snappy release whereas the Dominator really likes to link smooth carves with its curved outline. Subtle differences though. The Hellfire is a step up from the Spitfire. More pulled in outline, more rocker and a aggressive double concave rather than the subtle single that the Spitfire/Dominator has. That keeps it freer on the wave at speed. As you have a Baked Potato for small days I think you'll be better off with a Hellfire. It'll cover a greater range as the Dom/Spit start to red line in the head high range.
                Great overview of the three. Any thoughts on the Unibrow in comparison?

Comment

• Phill
                  Phill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I guess the Unibrow is to the Dominator what the Hellfire is to the Spitfire.
                  I don't really have any experience with the Unibrow yet but it looks like a great shape for a daily driver, especially if you're a fan of the round tail and curvey outline.

Have you tried a chubby chedda? Im demoing one at the moment and i love it but i tihnk i have to try a hellfire before i seal the deal!

Comment

• Phill
                  Phill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No, I'm avoiding it because I know I'll have to buy one if I try it...

I haven't tried the CC although I have not seen one in a volume that I am comfortable with yet (52-52ish). I'm talking with a friend about ways to push lower than that, (maybe try the VG).
                I did pick up the 700 HF and loving it when there is some push. Still working on the fin setup, but that is in another thread.

The HF works great in stiffer waves. However, a friend reminded me that anyone can surf well when there are great waves, but it takes some skill to be able to tear it up in small crappy waves. Although I am greatly improving my surfing on small waves on my BP, I am still considering a narrower board that works well on small days.
                So, still considering a DOM or maybe a UB... but there are so many tasty options to choose from. Would love some more input!

Comment

Had all three, dominator for fuller waves and crowds, as easy to catch waves. But the hf is the magic board on the wave face. Ride them as quads with Dave Rastovic fins, great fins.

Comment

In Tropical Blends the other day and between the board in my car and what they had in stock I was able to check out 4 different boards all in 606, Dom-SF-HF-UniBrow
                    So we all know the Dom and SF are pretty much the same thing with the tail modified on the SF.
                    I was considering the Unibrow as I like the narrower width and the pulled in nose, but as I was comparing the rockers I noticed that the UB and the HF appear to have the same rocker profile, and the tails seem to be quite similar (with the obvious difference of rounded vs diamond).
                    I just though I would share the info I found interesting:
                    Dom-Spit - very similar- different tail
                    HF and Unibrow - similar rocker and tail width - different tail - Unibrow is overall narrower with a more pulled in nose.
                    I am ver interested to hear other observations.

Comment

Working...
                    X