Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Hellfire

I thought I would upload my hellfire review from the old forum

Just thought I'd share my own personal experience with this particular model
    Firstly I weigh about 80kg on a good week and have surfed for over 20 years
    The waves I surf vary from beach break slop to firing reefs
    The size I chose is the 5'10
    Like others I tossed up between a couple of sizes mine being the 6'0 and the 5'10
    The salesman recommended the 6'0 without me seeing it
    I was lucky enough to feel both at different shops and it felt like the 6'0 was too much board
    In the hands the 5'10 was perfect
    My first surf was in weak High tide beach breaks and to tell you the truth I wasn't overly impressed with the board
    It paddled ok but I was struggling
    I could generate plenty of speed down the line but in weaker sections it felt dead in the water
    It was my own fault for being too impatient as I know the Hellfire isn't designed for these waves
    I couldn't resist after hearing all the hype
    My second surf was a totally different story though
    It was at a local reef, offshore and overhead
    From the first wave the board felt alive
    So much down the line speed and turns as hard as you can handle
    As long as you kept it near the juice you could pretty much do whatever you like
    I really enjoyed surfing that small a board in heavier waves
    The rails are thin enough and have enough bite not to spin out on drops and the surface area is ample for speedy paddles when required
    So overall it's a great addition to the quiver
    Unbelievable speed down the line
    Bit disappointed on it's performance in weak beach breaks but I guess that what the Dominator is for
    Goes off in the juice though

Great board review, Wandi. I'm about your weight, maybe a touch more, on a 5'8" DOM FST right now and love it but it maxes out when it gets big. Been eyeing the HF for a while and even surfed my friends 6'0" on a small day. I felt like the 6' is too much for me. Your review pretty much sealed it for me. Gonna go pick up a 510 HF. What fins are you rocking? I've been using FCS H3's for the DOM and will probably use the same for the HF.

Comment

use a slightly bigger fin than you use in your standard shooter...if thats the h3's then go for it....i use futures large simon's in it...my normal board's have jc's...even 70 kg guys are loving futures simons, am2's(thats the large) even pancho's..very free board with oodles of lift so loves some fin...can only imagine how free it runs for you lightweights...!!

Comment

I'm using the k2.1 quads with the knubster
        It seems to be the winning combo for me at the moment
        Haven't tried using bigger fins as yet but will have to give it a go
        Stoked that you have decided on a HF left lane
        You won't be disappointed with the 5'10

Comment

wandi trying the nubster a bit this weekend...excited!

Comment

Wandi, Core, thanks for the fin recs. Bouncing around San Diego shops the past few days trying to find a 510HF with FCS plugs. Swell hitting tomorrow. Should be perfect testing ground.

Comment

hope ya score mate...!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                wandi trying the nubster a bit this weekend...excited!
                Don't forget to post and let us know how you get on
                I'm sure you will be stoked

Comment

I concur, Dominator for weaker waves, Hell Fire for juice with glass. HF works great with AM-2's on bowly, juicy punchy reef and beach. Works fine on point also, Next sesh I am running will be with Stamps quads to test on a fast point break.

Comment

Has anyone tried the AM1 quad set? I am going to try that as I went out in 2-3 foot waves and it just did not work well for me. I was a bit over anxious and probably should have taken out the Dominator.

Comment

i haven't hwork, but I know they have more drive than the SF4 upright style quad set. Good for down the line speed and performance off the bottom of a wave!

Comment

Sorry for massive delay but I was busy updating my Firewire quiver. Despite better judgement I went a tad longer than I anticipated at 6'. Been pushing lower to mid 180s these days and felt the additional volume would help. Also picked up a Flexfire for infrequent travel and dry barrels that we never seem to get in SoCal.

Core, Wandi: I did score with that last swell we had here in San Diego middle of this month. The HF went UNREAL. I actually got futures setup so I need to reread Core's recommendations on fins and reload with Simons or AMs. Just rocking some old Mayhem templates I had from a few years back which seemed to work okay. Board goes exactly as you described. Planes a little slower than my Dom, but once up has similar speed. Where it really excels is tighter pocket surfing and really putting down the rail. Crazy fun time. I think my Flexfire is destined to be a rack showpiece. Sorry Flexy. :(

Back to the all important HF length question: I think I could have gone shorter at 510. That said the 600 is working real good especially in the head high to overhead stuff.

Comment

stoked lefty....those fins rec's are what Nev liked in his 510 and put me onto...he is around 70kg.(greyhound)...i'm around 90+/-(wolfhound)...so those fins work all round...i have not put the pancho's in yet...love the simons too much...have the simon rears too for fourfin action.(but i'm a tri guy)...i have the am2 in techflex and they bind the board up a bit with their stiff flex..feel great and open through wraps but wiggles and pumps are locked up..i will get the honeycombs (softer flex) and i think it will be spot on...but i reckon grab the simons and build from there...they are a perfectly "neutral" fin in that board...yours is bigger but its close..

i just dropped to 85kg with a gut bug..was dropping in using my front foot and driving from the get-go on the 510...was ricocheting all over small waves... would love to be a lighter guy on this board...no nursing it then..front foot, back foot, whatever's needed..this is such a mind blowing board...unfortunately the weights creeping back up already...back onto my back foot i suppose..!!...602MB onthe way...better hit the meat pies and beer to get ready for the spartan..!!
                          Last edited by core personal training; 02-29-2012, 12:20 AM.

Comment

6'2 MB Core, thats what I have been eyeing up lately, looks tasty

Comment

yeah, it should solve the chippiness of the taj for me when i'm feeling like a slug..(most of the time these days..!!)..i probably should wait for the thinner version, but i'm getting edgy for a standard shooter again....although i still lurve the HF...!!

Comment

Working...
                              X