Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting for ht

Hey everyone,

I am currently demo-ing a 6'0" spitfire- it works great for me. I'm 185lbs and 6'1". Also looking a 6'0" Hellfire but wondering if 600 HF would be too short for me? How should height be factored in to choosing a board?

Right now i'm riding a 6"4" Rusty Piranha. I'm intermediate and just starting to link turns and complete more powerful roundhouses (still burying a rail about 20% of the time ).

Hey Simon,
    where do you live? what kind of waves are you surfing? add that info and we'll help you get things sorted.

Cheers!

Comment

Height wise, when choosing a traditional shortboard, the 'rule' was usually 2-3" above your height. These days with boards becoming shorter and wider it's a whole different ball game and you can ride boards far below your height but it depends on the waves you are surfing and the way you want to surf. A longer board would typically hold a longer line which is an advantage in bigger and more powerful surf with open walls where you want to draw out a big carve off the top or bottom, but in smaller more pockety surf I like being on a really short board so I can keep my turns tighter to the pocket.
      For someone at 6'1" a board like the Hellfire 6'0" would not be a problem length wise and at your weight the volume sounds good to me, but as Chris said, the type of waves you're riding really affects which board and length would be optimum.

On another note Chris, this thread didn't show up in my new thread list until you responded to it... Not sure why that is.

Comment

THanks Prj,
        I know something has changed recently. I'll check with Justin and see what is happening RE the New Posts. let me know if anything else seems funny.

thanks

Comment

Yeah, when things were tweaked somehow mine and Iggy's posting permissions were changed and we couldn't post anything, send any PMs or anything like that. Justin's on the ball though. A quick email and all was well again!

Comment

Chris,
            San Diego, riding La Jolla reefs, Scripps, Blacks, Sunset Cliffs,
            Last edited by Simon J; 02-13-2012, 06:34 PM.

Comment

I would have thought if the 6'0" Spitfire works for you then the appropriate length in the Hellfire would be 6'2", but really there's not too much in it.

Given what you are saying about your surfing I'd think the Spitfire is likely to be the better choice at this stage in your progression.

Comment

180lbs, 165 cms and my 6'0" hellfire works like a charm!!.

Comment

Yeah, but I suspect you're a stronger surfer there iggy! :) Simon's just starting to link turns. As I say I don't think there's an awful lot in it though.
                  Last edited by buzzy; 02-13-2012, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Iggy, you surf in Montreal?

Comment

90 kg 6 foot...510HF...but thats pushin' it...

Comment

Yes, Montreal and when there are bumps on the horizon we migrate to Ogunquit,Rye,or The Wall.Started surfing in Venezuela around 20 years ago,been here and there when money and time permits
                        What about the Spitfire you are riding now? how are you liking it?

Comment

buzzy, I hear what your saying, but the SF feels a bit chunky in the tail.

Comment

No worries. If that's so then the Hellfire would probably be ideal. If the volume is right in the 6'0" Spit then the 6'2" Hellfire would be the way to go. If it's too much then go the 6'0" HF. good luck.

Comment

Iggy,That's hard core mate. The spitfire goes nice- not a huge difference in performance from my pirhana. I have not tried it as a quad yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X