Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellfire for an every day board?

Hello Everyone,

I have been searching for information and opinions for someone in the same situation as myself. I recently moved from the East Side of Oahu and surfed all over the island. My current setup worked well over there, but since then, I have gained a bit of weight and the wetsuit is also weighing me down. I am having trouble getting into waves since I moved to Monterey, Ca.

My Info: 206 lbs, 6', 37 years old, surfing for 25 years. No airs, mostly big turns, try my hardest to surf top to bottom.

Currently riding: Merrick Flyer - 6'3" x 18 3/4" x 2 3/8". Surfed it up to 6' Jacko's.

My Info: 206 lbs, 6', 37 years old, surfing for 25 years. No airs, mostly big turns, try my hardest to surf top to bottom. Living/Surfing in Monterey.

I have been looking for a replacement board that has more float, but maintains the ability to act as an every day board in 2-4' surf (hawaiian scale). I have been looking at a performance hybrid, notably a hellfire or spitfire. What are your recommendations?

Lataste, I use the 6-4 Dominator to my head high and 6-4 Hell fire to my overhead+ . They fill in all the gaps. you may want to go 6-0 DOM & 6-2 on Hell Fire

I feel the Spitfires tail width will limit you when you want hollow wave perfomance.

Comment

Yeah, the Hellfire could almost be an everyday board. I'm a just a shade lighter and the same height as you and ride what Fritzy suggests for you. Good combination that covers a lot. If it had to be just one board I reckon a 6'0 Spitfire custom with the nose narrowed a tad (the CBD application will only let you go a 0.25") and maybe the tail but for Californian waves I wouldn't, they're not as powerful as Hawaiian waves.

Comment

After posting this, I decided that I should probably see the board first hand. I found a shop in Santa Cruz and they had a 6'4" and I decided to purchase it. It is about 20% more volume than I am riding now and definitely feels wider under my arms. I am going to try it out tomorrow and I'll let you know how it works out. I am pretty excited, I think that a 6'2 would be more fun, but the more float will give me an advantage in wave selection...

Comment

yeah might be surprised!! its not a board that really loses too much if you step up 2."

Keep us posted!!

Comment

Working...
          X